What Are Your Tips & Tricks For Changing a Tire After it's Off the Bike?

This past week I had a problem with a Walker with 8 and 10 inch tires. The wheels were cast aluminum and were not very forgiving. The 8 inch ones took me an hour for each one to get it on the rim. My wrists are still aching from that job!
And that is why tire levers exist. So you don't blow an hour on a 30 second job.

Though I do usually wrestle most of it in place, using at least one tire lever to hold a side on helps. I don't usually run the lever around the rim, I use a lever or two to hold one side on using the hook (that most people don't know what it's for) to hold it to a spoke. That way you're not constantly fighting the opposite side slipping off as you go around the perimeter.

It's not something I usually use from the start, but if a tire starts fighting me out they come. Don't let machismo make your life miserable with a "tool, I don't need no stinking tools" attitude.

I've repaired dozens of flats in my lifetime and have come to the conclusion that every tire / rim combination is different. Some are easy to work with, some are difficult and others darn near impossible. Unfortunately, the ebikes I'm dealing with now are in the latter category.

I've learned a few things from this thread and thanks to all who posted!

When it comes to tubeless tires, putting the back tire on the bike may take a different turn than the usual procedure. There are some pointers you should be aware of. First, you should tape the rim using tubeless tape, poke through the valve hole, and insert the valve. Adding 2 to 3 ounces of sealant inside the valve after taking out the valve core Finally, place the tire back on the wheel and inflate.

Last edited:
Back