Direct drive + Pinion gearbox + Gates drive system = Lowest maintenance powerful E-bike

Hi Ravi:
Do you think I could convert this bike with a rear wheel conversion kit?https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/the600

Sorry. Did not notice this response until now.
I think it would be difficult to get a reliable torque sensor working on that bike. You could go with cadence sensor but it won't a pleasant riding experience.
At this time of the year (holiday season), you should be able to find a decent e-bike without shelling $5 or 6K.

If you like the desiknio, you might be into the Enki Cycles' new bike.

Mid drive with 25% more torque than Bosch apparently

View attachment 41504

Nice looking bike but can't see it as a Desikinio competitor with only a single speed model (well maybe to Desiknio's single speed version). I'm suspecting you are an Enki employee or in some other way have a vested interest in the outfit. How about posting a thread in the promotions area or a single thread for Enki rather than many of the same posts in multiple threads? Just a thought ...

Nice looking bike but can't see it as a Desikinio competitor with only a single speed model (well maybe to Desiknio's single speed version). I'm suspecting you are an Enki employee or in some other way have a vested interest in the outfit. How about posting a thread in the promotions area or a single thread for Enki rather than many of the same posts in multiple threads? Just a thought ...
I'm actually not an employee, but I do have one of their other bikes and am considering getting one of their single speed commuters. I havent pulled the trigger yet, becuase I've been trying to decide between Desiknio or Ampler and then found out about there new one. Maybe I'll start a new thread to get peoples opinion about which they prefer. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm actually not an employee, but I do have one of their other bikes and am considering getting one of their single speed commuters. I havent pulled the trigger yet, becuase I've been trying to decide between Desiknio or Ampler and then found out about there new one. Maybe I'll start a new thread to get peoples opinion about which they prefer. Thanks for the heads up.

Do they have any models with an IGH planned?

Do they have any models with an IGH planned?
According to the comments on the kickstarter page they might consider it if theres enough interest. But how much extra would you pay for the option? I was hoping to spend $2k or less really

I think I'd like a pinion gearbox for pedaling with a front geared hub motor. Has to be step through, a real unicorn, pinion + step through. I've got 5000 miles on 8 speed cassette, chain, 3000 on front hubmotor, no maintenance but oiling tightening nuts, adjusting stop screw & replacing shift cable. CCX however has the short "over the bar on your chin!" frame, not riding those anymore. I also probably am not strong enough to shift pinion. 12" cable travel?

Tout Terrain is releasing a new E-bike with Pinion gearbox and the new Neodrive.
The really cool thing for me is that it can be converted to a regular bike very easily.

1582694621282.png

Tout Terrain is releasing a new E-bike with Pinion gearbox and the new Neodrive.
The really cool thing for me is that it can be converted to a regular bike very easily.

Nice looking bikes... thanks for sharing. What is the gear range on the Pinion gearbox compared to a standard rear cassette?

Nice looking bikes... thanks for sharing. What is the gear range on the Pinion gearbox compared to a standard rear cassette?

18 speed Pinion gearboxes have about a 630% range. Rohloff Speedhubs have about a 530% range, while a typical 1x11 rear derailleur will have around 420%, and a 1x7 rear derailleur might be as low as 340%.

Sources:

18 speed Pinion gearboxes have about a 630% range. Rohloff Speedhubs have about a 530% range, while a typical 1x11 rear derailleur will have around 420%, and a 1x7 rear derailleur might be as low as 340%.
Sources:

Thanks for the link... looks like a 3 ring touring set can achieve almost 700% range.

1584907216075.png

Last edited:
So if a pinion gearbox with gates drive and hub motor make the perfect low maintenance commuter I am wondering whose non geared hub drive you would favour for such a bike?

Back