Direct drive + Pinion gearbox + Gates drive system = Lowest maintenance powerful E-bike

I noticed this in the Rohloff Facebook group today.

1588097305342.png

1588097257692.png

Kettler has multiple departments and subsidiaries and I am not sure if their E-bike division is closing.
Fallbrook/Nuvinci filed for bankruptcy 2 years ago but then their hub business did no fold down. They are continuing under Enviolo name.

Kettler has multiple new models for 2020 and lots of market share.

Nothing in that article mentioned about E-bike closure. Typically, they close down businesses that are not performing well but Kettler seems to have contract with Bosch and Shimano. So, I will wait to come to a conclusion.
Holy cow! They have over 80 models?! :oops:

“Instead of taking a loan or crowd funding, I am using significant amount of savings from my family to get this company off the ground and we have the backing of few Tesla investors“
Ravi...I noticed in promo releases re: Tesla’s CyberTruck they were showing off an electric Quad to go with the truck. Why not a Tesla branded E-bike which would seem to be more simpatico with the electron ethos?

“Instead of taking a loan or crowd funding, I am using significant amount of savings from my family to get this company off the ground and we have the backing of few Tesla investors“
Ravi...I noticed in promo releases re: Tesla’s CyberTruck they were showing off an electric Quad to go with the truck. Why not a Tesla branded E-bike which would seem to be more simpatico with the electron ethos?

I don't think Tesla will do E-bikes for the foreseeable future.
They can't even fulfill the orders they have Powerwall, Cybertruck, Model Y. All the batteries manufactured in Giga factories is not even sufficient for the products they have right now.

The biggest reason is, when Elon Musk was 10 or 12 yr old back when he was still in South Africa, he was once riding a bike and a truck came so close to him on the road (he thought he was going to die either crashing into the truck or escaping from it and losing an arm or leg). This incident left a deep negative impression and some traumatic memories.
From that day onward, he has this perception that bikes are very unsafe for transportation within the cities.
There is some video or twitter response from him on this topic and if you search enough, you will find it.

They can't even fulfill the orders they have Powerwall, Cybertruck, Model Y. All the batteries manufactured in Giga factories is not even sufficient for the products they have right now.

The biggest reason is, when Elon Musk was 10 or 12 yr old back when he was still in South Africa, he was once riding a bike and a truck came so close to him on the road (he thought he was going to die either crashing into the truck or escaping from it and losing an arm or leg). This incident left a deep negative impression and some traumatic memories.
From that day onward, he has this perception that bikes are very unsafe for transportation within the cities.
There is some video or twitter response from him on this topic and if you search enough, you will find it.
So a guy that thinks bicycles are dangerous on city streets wants to get on a rocket and go to Mars. Hmmm Maybe he was just having some fun, while ensuring the largest marketplace for his cars and other transports.

@Ravi Kempaiah, you're like an ebike trivia wiki...🙂

I think that if Elon was so inclined, he could easily mobilize resources and a team of designers/engineers to chip away at a proper Tesla Bike (the "e" would be redundant). It was obviously overshadowed by the Cybertruck but the CyberATV is proof that there is more going on behind the scenes and without any press (Tesla has never spent money on marketing).

This isn't just conjecture though. I'm speculating based on the last minute of a great interview with Elon on the Recode Decode podcast. He talks about the motorcycle accident that steered him away from making a Tesla Motorcycle. He was 17, not pre-teen. The interview is transcribed if you want to look up specific topics (ctrl+f in your browser).

Literally in the last 30 seconds he mentions wanting to do an ebike. I hope when it does arrive that they start with the Roadster version of the bike and work their way to its Model 3 equivalent.

I think that if Elon was so inclined, he could easily mobilize resources and a team of designers/engineers to chip away at a proper Tesla Bike (the "e" would be redundant). It was obviously overshadowed by the Cybertruck but the CyberATV is proof that there is more going on behind the scenes and without any press (Tesla has never spent money on marketing).

This isn't just conjecture though. I'm speculating based on the last minute of a great interview with Elon on the Recode Decode podcast. He talks about the motorcycle accident that steered him away from making a Tesla Motorcycle. He was 17, not pre-teen. The interview is transcribed if you want to look up specific topics (ctrl+f in your browser).

Literally in the last 30 seconds he mentions wanting to do an ebike. I hope when it does arrive that they start with the Roadster version of the bike and work their way to its Model 3 equivalent.

Thanks for sharing.

Well, I will be spending next several years working on improving their battery tech and building Zen E-bikes and if they ever want to do an E-bike, I will lobby super hard to be on that team ;)

But, Tesla getting into E-bikes is super remote as of now. I have discussed this with few of their product managers. They don't have enough bandwidth to do what they promised and they keep pushing their deadlines. They are completely loaded for the next 5 years. With the thin profit margins of E-bike business, there is not enough impetus to go in that direction. I mean their current list of to-do is very long already ..

1. Cybertruck

2. Tesla Semi

3. Tesla Roadster

4. Model Y ramp up

5. Model 3 - standard range

6. Huge backlog of powerwalls

7. New energy business

8. Starlink satellites

Thanks for sharing.

Well, I will be spending next several years working on improving their battery tech and building Zen E-bikes and if they ever want to do an E-bike, I will lobby super hard to be on that team ;)

But, Tesla getting into E-bikes is super remote as of now. I have discussed this with few of their product managers. They don't have enough bandwidth to do what they promised and they keep pushing their deadlines. They are completely loaded for the next 5 years. With the thin profit margins of E-bike business, there is not enough impetus to go in that direction. I mean their current list of to-do is very long already ..
  1. Cybertruck
  2. Tesla Semi
  3. Tesla Roadster
  4. Model Y ramp up
  7. New energy business
  8. Starlink satellites

Hi Ravi, I agree completely that Tesla is completely overwhelmed right now with their current product roadmap.

They will eventually get to do more fun projects including an EBike in a few years... most Euro brands already have.

We all hope that you are involved when they are ready. ;)

Ebike is not likely they have too much already on their plate. The quad was a modified Yamaha done for marketing impact, no Tesla engineering there.

Thanks for sharing.
  1. Cybertruck
  2. Tesla Semi
  3. Tesla Roadster
  4. Model Y ramp up
  7. New energy business
  8. Starlink satellites
Here's an idea to pitch to Tesla product management... partner with Pushkar and rebrand the WattWagon with Tesla cells. ;)

Here's an idea to pitch to Tesla product management... partner with Pushkar and rebrand the WattWagon with Tesla cells. ;)

Now why would he do that? If he was going to rebrand anything I'm sure he would look at his upcoming bike and nothing else. I don't see the need though, as Tesla Cells do not make a Tesla Battery.

I'm sure hoping that next summer we will see a bike with Pinion in NA; or "better yet", a great hub motor with at least a 5 speed electronically shifted integrated gearing for the pedaling. A "Super" wheel!

Thought I would add this here as well, since belt drive and pinion are often seen together and now in NA have the same distributor.

Yes belts are good, paired with a hub they should last a very long time and we want them. The question is who is going to build one.
Alee just posted this in-depth analysis of Pinion vs Rohloff gearboxes. Very good discussion.

He added a couple of categories to pull Rohloff up (refinement :D). But it is a good comparison.

Alee just posted this in-depth analysis of Pinion vs Rohloff gearboxes. Very good discussion.

I like the idea of having a bike with 2 or 3 wheel sets.

The review focuses on the 18 speed Pinion gearbox, but most people will be more than happy with 1/2 that many, and on an e-bike I think the 9 speed makes much more sense, except in very specific cases.

Last edited:
Back