Direct drive + Pinion gearbox + Gates drive system = Lowest maintenance powerful E-bike

Here is the difference. The plates, rollers and pins are much more robust. Stresses are distributed, blunted over a larger area, not focused, or cutting. Though not for race day these are stronger chains made to last trouble free like a belt. Belts are also wide and strong so they last. But these chains are about $20 to replace. An e-10 is $55. A Gates belt is $70 but requires a proprietary chainring and cog. Those are big bucks.
I have used a half-link chain like this on a Cyclone and it was amazing for strength. But the one thing the belts do that I fell in love with when I had mine (past tense... I sold it) was the total lack of grease. Despite the *dramatically* increased parts cost you correctly point out, as well as the fact they are not as maintenance free as many think when you factor in extended use, given my druthers I'd rather have a belt on. But that means I need a Rohloff and that means we're talking a $2000 drivetrain. So I'm still using chains.

With a 30-mile (round trip) commute, extended by a dozen miles if I have to run an errand to the bank during the day, or out to the pharmacist or similar after work, I am puzzled by the doomsaying about mid drive wear. I'd think with experience comes the knowledge to make those issues go away. Its the half-assed DIY builders who build the cog-saws. The manufactured mids would, I think, solve that issue before they make it to market. I'm using mid drives because of their increased power and ability to live in hills. Even my flatland bikes where they never see hills... I went to mids because I want them to be versatile enough to take on hills if I go to one. My one remaining hub commuter bike is gathering dust despite the fact its the fastest on flat land.

Recently I measured two of my cargo bikes - both running mids - and with both of them hovering right around 1300 miles each on their respective drivetrains, both measure just at or below 0.25" wear on their 9s and 11s chains. Park says that for the CC-2 I am using to measure, 0.25" wear is normal and expected for a brand new chain.

I am theoretically attracted to the pinion with belt notion. And then there is the coolness cachet of it. It just seems that in the real world it is overly complicated and overpriced for what it does on the upside. Then there is the added weight. Here is an 8mm hex wrench on top of a half-link chain. The outside of the chain is just wider than the tool. I am about to use ceramic premium dry lube on it. This lube is slick and does not attract grit. My friend Nathan is working on his wife's Gates bike today. Two fingers of the rear sprocket have broken off and a third is about to go. They are brittle aluminum alloy. For now I will go with the steel cogs at $5 each and keep it simple.

Attachments

• halflink2.JPG
    halflink2.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 218
  • CeramicLube.JPG
    CeramicLube.JPG
    260 KB · Views: 217
This is what a high end commuter should be. Unfortunately there are no such offerings in the states.

It has only one drawback, if it is corrected it would be the perfect commuter bicycle.
Add regen/braking so the pads can last 10K and we have true low maintenance.

Back