Direct drive + Pinion gearbox + Gates drive system = Lowest maintenance powerful E-bike

Gates is introducing some new drive systems. Two are more cost reduced systems supporting low torque, but the third is a system targeted at reliability for touring,

Good to see an entry-level Gates drive system ... I hope we now see more belt drive Ebikes available. ;)

The new Gates SideTrack (ST) system is designed with affordability in mind. It uses flanged front and rear sprockets that employ Gates’ existing 11mm pitch belts reinforced with carbon fiber. The company says that the system should work with just about any existing single-speed or three-speed internally geared hub. As Gates explained in a statement provided to Electrek: “The SideTrack system is a new solution designed specifically for manufacturers of entry-level performance and leisure bikes with few gears. It’s intended for seasonal, recreational cyclists looking for their first belt-driven bike.”

Next, Gates announced the Carbon Drive Commute (CDC) system that uses an updated CenterTrack design that most Gates belt drive system users will be more familiar with. The CDC system includes a number of features that are designed for optimal value and durability, including a new patent-pending aluminum sprocket as well as new coating and tooth design. The CDC system is designed for use with Gates’ CDX belt and will be compatible with mid-drive e-bikes featuring motors with up to 50Nm of torque. These include motors such as the popular Bosch Active Line and Active Line Plus motors and the Shimano E5000 and E61000 motors. Gates claims that there are over 20 different spider assembly options and 10 rear sprocket options for internally geared and single-speed hubs, which should cover most of the common drivetrain sizes.

Lastly, Gates announced the Carbon Drive Expedition (CDX:EXP) system, which uses the existing patented CenterTrack setup along with a set of three updated sprockets made with stronger and higher hardness steel and aluminum. The CDX:EXP system is designed for use with Rohloff internally geared hubs and Pinion gearboxes. Together, the system provides a more robust solution for tougher trail riding and more extreme weather conditions.

black-sidetrack-belt-e1592835565224.jpg
gates drive

I am too lazy to read what exactly they are bringing this year. The word system means little.

Also why the 50nm limit? One point of belts is that they can withstand high torque.

I am too lazy to read what exactly they are bringing this year. The word system means little.

Also why the 50nm limit? One point of belts is that they can withstand high torque.

TLDR: Gates has now introduced a 3 Tiered system... entry-level, mid and pro.

The mid-level CDC system is limited to 50 Nm... buy the CDC EXP if you want higher torque limits. 😉

Last edited:
Klever advertises this model as the best choicefor long distance commuting.

850Wh battery
1.2 kWh battery (eta 12/2020) 🧨😁
Regen coasting & braking 😎
Max throttle speed - 18 km/h 🐢😢

Head tube angle seems excessive, as does the seat tube, but i'd like to try the geometry. Love the overall design.

Little wider tires, a bit more torque, 45km/h throttle, and it would be a great bike for me. If it was not for the current throttle limit, i would consider buying it as is.

Based on their website, i guess no one in NA carries this brand?

Ravi, maybe you want to import one for testing, that you can later sell to me? ☺

Last edited:

View attachment 63099

Looks nice. I think we agree that a setup like this is the way to go for the ultimate long distance commuter.

It may not look the cleanest, the head tube angle is a bit on the low side and the stem seem proprietary for no good reason but still it addresses all the major points for a great commuter. It may look a bit weird but seems to be built as a step-through.

I don't think it is coming to NA anytime soon if at all. People don't know what a great setup this is.

2000Euro difference. Is that worth it ?

The Klever with regular drive system :

View attachment 63099

Ravi, maybe you want to import one for testing, that you can later sell to me? ☺

Importing is easy but I always think of the long-term impacts.
We would never want to leave customers without support. It is one thing I always think a lot about. Just look at what happened to BH and Stromer, their US presence is reduced to minimal and people are struggling to get support. The last thing I want to do is bring some products just to make some money without thinking through the long-term repercussions of parts, reliability, support etc.
Rest assured, sometime in 2021, we will strive to bring this kind of model onboard 👍
Thanks for the vote of confidence 🤝

That can be easily overridden.
I want this bike because it is a properly designed electric vehicle, the price is very, high, but with a couple batteries it would be a dream. Not sure if their EU pricing already includes VAT or not.

Importing is easy but I always think of the long-term impacts.
We would never want to leave customers without support. It is one thing I always think a lot about. Just look at what happened to BH and Stromer, their US presence is reduced to minimal and people are struggling to get support. The last thing I want to do is bring some products just to make some money without thinking through the long-term repercussions of parts, reliability, support etc.
Rest assured, sometime in 2021, we will strive to bring this kind of model onboard 👍
Thanks for the vote of confidence 🤝
I was thinking you could just bring 1 in for testing 😃, not necessarily to re-sell as a regular product, but for integration testing of the full design. In that case i would not expect any support on a used bike. It might make a good benchmark, better than R&M. I would just hope it could use a standard suspension seat post.
If you could sell this kind of bike for around $5K US then it might be viable even without FS. I doubt that would work out though, the EUC would like end up being more. Maybe you need to build the robut(s) that will build the bikes, so you can manufacture at scale.

look at what happened to BH

I received a small part for my BH ebike a week ago in exactly 1 day from BH Spain. Fed ex Express 1day !
I can post pics if needed. BH has very strong warranty and support for Us customers.

Is just rumors and assumptions from people who have no clue or haven't contacted BH Spain and ask.

OTH , for Stromer i don't think that it is the same flawless experience.

I received a small part for my BH ebike a week ago in exactly 1 day from BH Spain. Fed ex Express 1day!
I can post pics if needed. BH has a very strong warranty and support for US customers.

Is just rumors and assumptions from people who have no clue or haven't contacted BH Spain and ask.

OTH, for Stromer I don't think that it is the same flawless experience.

Good to hear that BH continues to support customers in the US... can you share your contact info at BH?

I received a small part for my BH ebike a week ago in exactly 1 day from BH Spain. Fed ex Express 1day !
I can post pics if needed. BH has very strong warranty and support for Us customers.

Good outcome. OTOH BH Spain didn't want to know about my broken hub - they suggested I contact the local BH distributor, who folded a few years back. It makes a beautiful doorstop.

Good to hear that BH continues to support customers in the US... can you share your contact info at BH?

info@bhbikes.com

Out of warranty need to contact Any of the US ex dealers. There is a list on another thread. I have to get it and will post it.
There's many ex dealers left that can get the parts. Luckily there is a 5year warranty on them, 2 for battery/motor.

Back