Cross Current

Hi, Im Luis from JuicedBikes. Glad to hear you tested one of our bikes; which dealer did you visited?

Some of our users have reached to us regarding this "sudden shutdown" event. In resume i can say that its user dependent because it is a protection programmed into the system in case of overheating due to high power demand and high temperatures in the environment.

Ill quote Tora as he is actually addressing this and other items in order to keep developing a great product for us all

" This event can happen in certain situations like hill climbing.

The system needs to cool down as the temp sensor sees high temp and shuts down for a moment to cool down. We found that there is some variation of the temp sensor.

With better transfer of heat away from the body of the controller the issue is less likely to occur.

We are using thermally conductive tape and a strip of aluminum to transmit the heat right to the frame ( not tin foil). The effect is quite dramatic. We study it a lot and better understand the issue on the production units.

These new controller integrated into the bike frame designs have more limited ability cool down. Additionally we run it at 48V when most run at 36V with momentary over-boost function.

Our bikes can really assist up to 28mph And a over boost function maybe we could program it to be less easy to trigger.

The controller and motor is designed to handle the power, but physically could be better positioned so the heat can get dumped away from the controller faster.

All production units moving forward have been improved. And we will keep improving the product so it's constantly evolving.

And if someone frequently encounters over heat warning we can supply them with the part and instructions to improve it. "

Hi Luis, thx for the info from Tora. I have a Crosscurrent in route to my LBS that I just purchased. Is there a way to determine whether my unit that i will be receiving has the fix already done on it?

I ended up changing the rear shift cable and housing today on my CC. I wasn't happy with the way it was shifting since new and I couldn't hit every gear. I ended up installing a Shimano polymer coated shift cable (not to be confused with PTFE coated cables) and SP41 housing which I keep on hand for my other bikes. I know from my road bikes that these cables dramatically reduce friction in the system. Big difference in shift quality. I had gotten in the habit of overshifting on downshifts to get it to shift right so I need to stop that.

After checking prices 10sp Deore XT I made an impulse purchase to upgrade my CC. I'm kind of a stickler about shift quality. About $150 in parts less what I can sell the removed stuff for. Could've saved about $25 by getting an SLX derailleur. I'm gonna run a 12-28 cassette so the bike will be setup for high speed cruising and not climbing. Will let everybody know how the upgrade goes.

To anyone wanting to upgrade - 11sp parts won't work on a 10sp hub so stick to 10sp.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I got the Deore XT parts and 10sp 12-28 cassette installed this weekend. This was my first time setting up mountain bike parts so it took me a while to get everything dialed in. Deore XT shifts very precisely compared to the stock Alivio and you can downshift 4, and upshift 2, gears at a time which is cool. The Shadow Plus derailleur has a clutch on it to prevent chain slap. Overall I would recommend the upgrade to anyone who wants a nicer shifting bike. You can save a few bucks by going with the Deore SLX derailleur but there's no real savings on the shifter side so might as well get Deore XT.

Just a correction to one of my previous statements. Apparently mountain bike 11sp cassettes will fit a 10sp hub. So you could upgrade your Cross Current to Shimano 11sp mountain bike components. You would be limited to 11sp Shimano mountain bike cassettes however which are wider range. A road 11sp cassette requires a wider hub to work.

Hi All, new here and looking at 3 bikes (CrossCurrent, Voltbike Yukon, and Radrover). So I could use some help. I am 6'1" and 170lbs, and I will be using this bike for exercise, e.g. around the neighborhood and light trail, no commuting. My budget is $1500-$1800, excluding shipping. I've had 2 herniated discs and 4 back surgeries and really need to get out and exercise more, so that's my main focus.
Any opinions of any of these bikes? Any size issues out of the three? Other bikes I should be looking at? I will post this elsewhere on the forum too (hope its allowed), as I can use all of the help I can get.

The Cross Current is setup for high speed cruising. It feels pretty sluggish below ~15mph. Above 20mph it feels like a rocket ship. It is fine for light trails but it's not going to be as fun to ride at lower speeds and it struggles as you approach 10% or steeper grades. If you do go with the Cross Current I would suggest the L frame. The geometry is a bit more aggressive so it feels like a bigger bike. The XL might stretch you out more than your back would appreciate.

If you do a lot of climbing you might want to look at the Biktrix Juggernaut.

Thanks for the info Dunbar, I really appreciate it. I think that takes the CrossCurrent out of the mix (and the Yukon looks similar). So I think I'm going to go with the RadRover if the size isn't an issue. The Juggernaut looks similar to RadRover but is more expensive, any idea why?

Edit to add: I see why now-the Mid Drive. Are the Mid Drives that much better that I should spend the extra money?

Mid-drives are better for steeper hills (10% plus.) Hub motors can do OK if they are geared/spec'd for that application. The Cross Current is not that bike though since the motor is geared for high speed cruising. The Juggernaut has the BBSHD which is a very beefy mid-drive that can do 30 amps all day long. I wouldn't necessarily recommend a fat bike for what you want. I would personally choose a mountain bike with tires that fit your mix of riding. I do get the appeal of fat bikes but I don't think they're very practical for what a lot of people use them for.

Does anyone have any fender recommendations to put on my cross current? I have noticed a lot of splash back when riding in wet conditions.
Hi, did you manage to find the fenders?
I asked the ass-savers.com team and Staffan recommended either Ass Saver Extended or Wide and Mudder for the front. The Fendor Bendor will not fit due to the monostay.

While these arent a permanent solution it might just be what you need. Feel free to see their review and find them in Amazon

Luis any ideas on when you might be receiving the new CC shipment? I placed a deposit with my LBS, which said they would have them end of August but nothing yet.

@Itsmejson On the 10.4 make sure you check the fitment of the battery. I had issues with that and power was cutting out due to the connection I believe. The was the first production run of the cross current and I got a very early 10.4 battery. On a positive note the LBS has been great. I'm anticipating getting a fix in the next week and in the meantime LBS leant me the smaller battery. Which car and bike racks did you decide on?

Back