Lightweight e-bike hybrid with Throttle

shed

Region
USA

Budget: ~$2K (but will go to $3K if it's perfect).
Use: Mainly recreational and tooling around (motsly paved, maybe some light gravel), but other uses like shopping/commute is possible

Requirments (in rough order of importance)

Ideal Geometry/looks, like a hybrid, think Trek DS, and not an e-bike
  1. Throttle (Class II/III)
  2. 50lbs max (ideally ~40lbs)
  3. 50+ mile range
  4. Torque Sensor
  5. Hydraulic brakes
  6. Reliable
  7. Own Display (i.e. don't need my phone)
  8. Easy to get serviced at local bike shop
My ideal would be like a Aventon Soltera II (but better specs and lighter)

Any and all advice appreciated, including that what I'm asking may not exist, and what I have to compromise on.

Use: Mainly recreational and tooling around (motsly paved, maybe some light gravel), but other uses like shopping/commute is possible

3. 50+ mile range
  4. Torque Sensor
  5. Hydraulic brakes
  6. Reliable

Any and all advice appreciated, including that what I'm asking may not exist, and what I have to compromise on.
You've got some competing requirements IMO. There is no such thing as a Class 3 with a throttle (not legally at least in the US). Class 1 - no throttle, max 20mph. Class 2 - throttle, max 20mph. Class 3, no throttle, max 28mph. . 50+ mile range and 40 lbs - never seen such an animal (batteries are the main weight component in any e-bike).

50+ mile range and 40 lbs - never seen such an animal (batteries are the main weight component in any e-bike).
Heard of Specialized SL e-bikes? :)
It is doable if you really input something with your legs...
No throttle, though! And he cannot expect a high speed with a lightweight e-bike and a small battery (unless it is a Creo SL, a road e-bike).
A Vado SL with the 320 Wh internal battery, e-bike weight 37 lb (equipped).

Look at the ride metrics and description.

Heard of Specialized SL e-bikes? :)
It is doable if you really input something with your legs...
No throttle, though! And he cannot expect a high speed with a lightweight e-bike and a small battery (unless it is a Creo SL, a road e-bike).
A Vado SL with the 320 Wh internal battery, e-bike weight 37 lb (equipped).

Look at the ride metrics and description.
SL’s - nice bikes but hardly in the OP’s price range, no throttle and still not 50+ miles without the extender battery, then what’s the weight and cost?

You've got some competing requirements IMO. There is no such thing as a Class 3 with a throttle (not legally at least in the US). Class 1 - no throttle, max 20mph. Class 2 - throttle, max 20mph. Class 3, no throttle, max 28mph. . 50+ mile range and 40 lbs - never seen such an animal (batteries are the main weight component in any e-bike).
+1
Too many conflicting wants. Need to pick which ones to compromise on.

Very few lightweight e-bikes with throttle, and obviously more range equals more weight.

Just speaking from my own experience, my Ride1UP Roadster v2 is the only e-bike I’ve found that is lightweight (~33 lbs with internal battery only), is not very expensive, and with optional external battery added has gotten me 50+ mile range (~36 lbs including ext battery).

The newer Gravel model now includes a throttle, and all in bike + add on battery still well under $2k

Btw, the 15 mph text on their website is wrong. Provides assist up to 24 mph. And I think throttle up to 20 mph.

Really need LBS service? Then that narrows picks to only what your shops have.

I think that a Bafang mid drive conversion would meet the goals.

Thank you all. I definitely get the need to compromise.

The Aventon Soltera 2 seems about as close as I can get. Compromising a little on range and weight.

3. 50+ mile range
  4. Torque Sensor
  5. Hydraulic brakes
  6. Reliable

Hello,
My 'two cents'.. The #1 thing I would do is contact the bike shop(s) in your area, asking if they will
provide on going service and support for your Internet purchased e-bike.

If the brand of bike is relevant the Shop will ask. You may also want to ask the Shop if they will
do a new bike setup, if you'd like that service. I say make this #1 because my gut feeling, you're
going have a difficult to impossible time finding any local bike shop support. It's not completely
because the Shop didn't sell you the bike.

The local shop may not have access to your bike specific parts. The Manufacturer may require a large
$$ for a minimum order of parts ( just for one bike), the Shop may have to spend
'countless' hours getting through to the Manufacturer because they are not an authorized dealer...
and the list goes on.

Good luck,
John

3. 50+ mile range
  4. Torque Sensor
  5. Hydraulic brakes
  6. Reliable

Hello,
My 'two cents'.. The #1 thing I would do is contact the bike shop(s) in your area, asking if they will
provide on going service and support for your Internet purchased e-bike.

If the brand of bike is relevant the Shop will ask. You may also want to ask the Shop if they will
do a new bike setup, if you'd like that service. I say make this #1 because my gut feeling, you're
going have a difficult to impossible time finding any local bike shop support. It's not completely
because the Shop didn't sell you the bike.

The local shop may not have access to your bike specific parts. The Manufacturer may require a large
$$ for a minimum order of parts ( just for one bike), the Shop may have to spend
'countless' hours getting through to the Manufacturer because they are not an authorized dealer...
and the list goes on.

Good luck,
John

49lbs but close enough

IMO smoking deal for a UL certified, torque sensing, hydraulic disc, multi speed, 36# bike.
Ditch the LBS requirement, watch some Park Tool youtube videos, buy a few inexpensive tools. I get the throttle requirement, my wife needs one for take off due to severe orthopedic issues but I've never felt the need or wanted it. Up to you to determine if that is a deal breaker.
1702231780590.png

Thank you. This looks as close to my specs as possible. Whats the word on the brand?
They have been around for awhile, not alot of reviews. Some positive thoughts from owners on endless sphere. Seems like quality parts with customization not much more you can ask for. People have their kits installed on alot bikes on YouTube. Probably my next bike between that and the luna x2.5.

Any company that has a three month warranty has little faith in their product, (you can pay out another $500.00 for a three year warranty and hope that they will still be there in three years).
It is short and I would prefer longer, I think they know there customer and when you're producing 50mph+ bikes something is bound to fail from let's just say adventurous users.

Any company that has a three month warranty has little faith in their product, (you can pay out another $500.00 for a three year warranty and hope that they will still be there in three years).
Also, he didn't specify a long warranty in his post. Tried to get him as close as possible.

Back