Crazy Lenny's July 4th Sale or Markup?

byunbee

I just thought this was funny, so i had to make a comment.

Last night Crazy Lenny's posted a sale for BH Gravel-XPW for $777 after $444 off.
Today the same bike is $1284 with $444 off.

$1284 - $777 = $577

So, the story goes....

$777 + $444 = $1221 = Original Price
$1221 - $444 = $777 + $577 = $1284
$1284 - $1221 = $63
$63 / $1221 = 5.16%

So instead of it being a sale, isn't it really a 5.16% markup? 🤣

Last night Crazy Lenny's posted a sale for BH Gravel-XPW for $777 after $444 off.

$1284 - $777 = $577

So, the story goes....

$1284 - $1221 = $63
$63 / $1221 = 5.16%

I saw the same bike yesterday new in a shop and on sale for $2250. Original MSRP is much higher than any of these numbers.

I do understand that's not the point you're making. Maybe the original "sale price" was mistakenly posted. Still a lot of bike for the money. It's a very small bike in person. Probably an 18" frame. At 6'-2" it feels very small for a drop-bar bike.

I'm a big fan of Lenny's, bought both my Haibikes from them. When I bought my second one, I found out Haibike had a recall on the aluminum rigid forks. Drove back up and they swapped to a Trekking bike for me and really made the deal worth my extra drive. Maybe you should call them and see what's going on?

I yet to see CL have any of their bikes 'marked up' over the competition. His numbers in advertising may be off, however, if you price it to the current market, he seems to always give the best deals for the $$$ most of the time. Like Rich C has indicated, better to give them a call. I have seen mistakes made on his website in the past, however, if you talk to his sales staff, you may find the advert was off by a bit.

$1284 - $777 = $577
So, the story goes....
$1284 - $1221 = $63
$63 / $1221 = 5.16%

Must be New Math... Crazy ;)

I saw the same bike yesterday new in a shop and on sale for $2250. Original MSRP is much higher than any of these numbers.

I do understand that's not the point you're making. Maybe the original "sale price" was mistakenly posted.

Still a lot of bike for the money. It's a very small bike in person. Probably an 18" frame. At 6'-2" it feels very small for a drop-bar bike.

Still a great deal for a Yamaha mid-drive... the original MSRP was $3,400. ;)

Last edited:
And the eflow was $3000 MSRP. I wonder if they could even sell them them if they only charged for shipping. 🤣

I do understand that's not the point you're making. Maybe the original "sale price" was mistakenly posted. Still a lot of bike for the money. It's a very small bike in person. Probably an 18" frame. At 6'-2" it feels very small for a drop-bar bike.

It is a very good bike with shimano 105 groupset(which is a very good groupset, shifting performance is on par with the best of shimano just heavier , 2x11 has a great range too) thru axle . It is fast, quiet, light for an ebike (at around 40lbs you can feel the difference) great to ride on or off assist. I prefer it to the other bikes in the household. Even at $2250 it is a great deal, for $1250 a steal.

It is faster than our two bosch powered ebikes and since it is fun to ride even without assist I am getting very good range too. Unfortunately the only size is medium and it feels small for me too.

Last edited:
It is a nice bike. What I appreciate the most is its relatively (for an ebike) light weight. The biggest complaint I have is the overly expensive battery. At almost $1,000 an additional or replacement battery is close to the price of the entire bike. The one listed at Crazy Lenny might be an early production run as at some point they substituted the upgraded PW-SE motor with the smaller "X" display. So the battery is possibly going on 3 years since manufacture and that might be an issue especially if it has been charged and brought out of "deep sleep" and more especially if it has been fully charged and left at that, or fully discharged and left.

Personally, I think most ebikes are extremely over priced, no way that this bike is even close to being worth $3,300 IMO. It seems manufacturers take a $600-$800 bike which goes to $2,500 or even much more. You can get a high performance abs motorcycle for less than many ebikes. Not that I want a motorcycle but that just highlights the relatively little technology and substance you get for your money with an ebike purchase. I bought mine on an impulse and am happy with it but if doing it over I would have just converted a bike that I already have and like with a Tongsheng mid drive.

It is a nice bike. What I appreciate the most is its relatively (for an ebike) light weight. The biggest complaint I have is the overly expensive battery. At almost $1,000 an additional or replacement battery is close to the price of the entire bike. The one listed at Crazy Lenny might be an early production run as at some point they substituted the upgraded PW-SE motor with the smaller "X" display. So the battery is possibly going on 3 years since manufacture and that might be an issue especially if it has been charged and brought out of "deep sleep" and more especially if it has been fully charged and left at that, or fully discharged and left.

Personally, I think most ebikes are extremely over priced, no way that this bike is even close to being worth $3,300 IMO. It seems manufacturers take a $600-$800 bike which goes to $2,500 or even much more. You can get a high performance abs motorcycle for less than many ebikes. Not that I want a motorcycle but that just highlights the relatively little technology and substance you get for your money with an ebike purchase. I bought mine on an impulse and am happy with it but if doing it over I would have just converted a bike that I already have and like with a Tongsheng mid drive.

I agree with your value comparison... eBikes will come down in price as they become more mainstream and are mass-produced.

Regarding the Gravel-X, a good friend recently purchased one from BBB and received the upgraded PW-SE motor and PW-X display. ;)

His battery was in a deep sleep mode when received and now charges to the full range... we rode 42 miles yesterday and used 1/2 the battery.

Last edited:
Regarding the Gravel-X, a good friend recently purchased one from BBB and received the upgraded PW-SE motor and PW-X display. ;)

His battery was in a deep sleep mode when received and now charges to the full range... we rode 42 miles yesterday and used 1/2 the battery.

I also bought mine from BBB off of Ebay. It was listed as used but it was entirely new/never assembled with the battery in "deep sleep" mode but the one at Crazy Lenny, who knows.
Range is dependent on a lot of factors. Yesterday I went on a only 26 mile out and back putting in a lot of effort (for me) but used almost 60% of the battery. The route was extremely hilly, to the point that one of the several down hills got me to over 42 mph coasting into a strong headwind and not tucked down, other hills coasted over 35mph while sometimes braking. Since it was an out and back ride the same hills I coasted down I also had to climb up. If you can ask your friend I'm curious if the projected mileage works on his in the high setting. Mine gives estimates in the other lower three settings but registers 0 in high both while riding and at a standstill even with the battery fully charged. I watched Court's review of one with the larger/older display and that one gave estimates in all four levels of assist. Just curious as I don't put much stock in the estimated range setting.

We rode mostly in Eco mode and Standard for climbing... I don't recall the range estimate in the highest setting.

Personally, I think most ebikes are extremely over priced, no way that this bike is even close to being worth $3,300 IMO. It seems manufacturers take a $600-$800 bike which goes to $2,500 or even much more. You can get a high performance abs motorcycle for less than many ebikes. Not that I want a motorcycle but that just highlights the relatively little technology and substance you get for your money with an ebike purchase.

Compared to other offerings from other companies, it is actually a good price, analog gravel bikes with similar components go for $1.6-2k from big brands. Right now for $3K you are getting a Verve! (a hybrid bike fitted with low end components). People are paying 6K for a no suspension fitness bike with wide tires claiming that it is a high end bike.

While compared to motorcycles ebikes look notoriously priced, one should note that Just that battery+ motor combo probably costs over $1000 to the bike manufacturer so I can't agree with the $800 part of your comment. A comparison with a motorcycle should take into account that batteries and motors add quite a bit to the cost.

That being said, do I agree that overall ebikes from big brands are very overpriced? Yes, it is ridiculous, but what is worse is that you see many people going in an buying the most expensive/least functional bikes from big brands, thinking them like a car purchase (which they are not, these are still bicycles with integrated motor/battery) and bragging about it, claiming it is best of the best because of some brand fanaticism. Not to mention accessories, an aluminum tube with two springs is being sold over $250 which is a mediocre suspension solution at best.

We are living the dark ages of ebiking, I am hoping that it becomes more popular and we see much better products at reasonable prices.

Yesterday I went on a only 26 mile out and back putting in a lot of effort (for me) but used almost 60% of the battery.

If it is very hilly that is still a very good range for a 400wh battery. But as you said range depends on your riding habits.

Mine gives estimates in the other lower three settings but registers 0 in high both while riding and at a standstill even with the battery fully charged.

Maybe you haven't ridden in high level enough to get an estimate, I will check this out next time I take it for a ride.

Compared to other offerings from other companies, it is actually a good price, analog gravel bikes with similar components go for $1.6-2k from big brands. Right now for $3K you are getting a Verve! (a hybrid bike fitted with low end components). People are paying 6K for a no suspension fitness bike with wide tires claiming that it is a high end bike.

While compared to motorcycles ebikes look notoriously priced, one should note that Just that battery+ motor combo probably costs over $1000 to the bike manufacturer so I can't agree with the $800 part of your comment. A comparison with a motorcycle should take into account that batteries and motors add quite a bit to the cost.

That being said, do I agree that overall ebikes from big brands are very overpriced? Yes, it is ridiculous, but what is worse is that you see many people going in an buying the most expensive/least functional bikes from big brands, thinking them like a car purchase (which they are not, these are still bicycles with integrated motor/battery) and bragging about it, claiming it is best of the best because of some brand fanaticism. Not to mention accessories, an aluminum tube with two springs is being sold over $250 which is a mediocre suspension solution at best.

We are living the dark ages of ebiking, I am hoping that it becomes more popular and we see much better products at reasonable prices.

If it is very hilly that is still a very good range for a 400wh battery. But as you said range depends on your riding habits.

Maybe you haven't ridden in high level enough to get an estimate, I will check this out next time I take it for a ride.
Wondering what some of the “most expensive/least functional“ bikes you’re referring to?

I agree with your value comparison... eBikes will come down in price as they become more mainstream and are mass-produced.
I still have hope that pans out, but we've been saying that around this forum for 6 years.

Talking to an industry insider the other day and he said the North American market has a lot of issues to sort out before ebikes become mainstream here. The biggest issues are the laws are all over the place, and there are dozens of outlaw sellers willing to sell bikes outside the laws that are in place. They even will give the buyer whichever class sticker they want. Honest brokers don't have an even playing field to compete. We'll be lucky if US companies Trek, Specialized and Pedego make it to a mature US ebike market.

it's $1284, though really 1484 if you include delivery. Crazy Lenny's confirmed it via text. Different sort of bike, but it's interesting to compare it to the Specialized Turbo Sl4.

The weight difference is largely motor+battery. If you add the water bottle battery to the Specialized, it's very close.
The Easy Motion may work just as well if not better for riders who want to pedal and just use the motor for hills, wind, etc.
The Specialized is Class 3 while the Easy Motion is not, but that doesn't matter to a lot of people.
Drop bars have their virtues.

FWIW I didn't mean that the total price of a good quality ebike should be $800 but that being the base bike. Add a thousand for the motor and battery and a total of under $2,000 rather than $3,400 they were asking for the Gravel X. I am looking for a very easy step over bike for my wife like the Biria Easy Board which is about ~$600 for the bike alone. They add a common geared rear hub motor and battery then ask over $2,200 for it, worse still is Pedego Boomerang at over $3,500, crazy. When the regular pedal Biria get back in stock I might buy one and add the front hub kit that I have sitting around, or a more powerful geared rear hub.

I don't use the high setting on my bike much, I didn't know the bike had to calibrate with use but i'll give it more use just to see if it will then give an estimate range.

They even will give the buyer whichever class sticker they want. Honest brokers don't have an even playing field to compete. We'll be lucky if US companies Trek, Specialized and Pedego make it to a mature US ebike market.

If giving stickers means giving people option of picking the speed limit out of the factory, that is a good practice. The business insider is probably interested in price discriminating by the speed limit and charging $400 more for a 28mph limited bike. That is not honesty.

If what you mean is putting stickers on illegal bikes which are way over the power limit stated in the law then I agree that has to stop.

None of the companies you have stated can bring ebikes to masses, they are shortsighted and trying to capitalize on their popularity to push expensive products for the few.

If giving stickers means giving people option of picking the speed limit out of the factory, that is a good practice. The business insider is probably interested in price discriminating by the speed limit and charging $400 more for a 28mph limited bike. That is not honesty.

If what you mean is putting stickers on illegal bikes which are way over the power limit stated in the law then I agree that has to stop.

None of the companies you have stated can bring ebikes to masses, they are shortsighted and trying to capitalize on their popularity to push expensive products for the few.
The 3 companies I noted are US companies. If they are to make it in the ebike business they have to make it here in North America. They sell elsewhere, but other continents have plenty of other brands. The masses in the US do not want ebikes, unfortunately.

The industry insider is part of the independent bike dealers, and not with the high end as you suppose. As for stickers offered by outlaw sellers, that's self explanatory. Supplying a class 2 sticker for a bike that goes over 30 mph is hurting the entire market and our access to bike infrastructure. I spent the past year with a group to gain access. People think they are getting away with something, but regulators and law makers read forums too.

Back