Why Roadies Don't Smile-funny article I just read

One of the most dangerous things about human nature — and the one most likely to do us in — is our bad us-them habit. And here we are doing it with fellow fans of the greatest joy machine ever invented.

Are there ill-behaved road bikers? Sure. Are there ill-behaved ebikers? You bet — even on this forum. Are there ill-behaved mountain bikers? Plenty. Do some of these people think that only they know what to do with a bike? See above.

Nobody holds the high ground here.

What does all this generalization-from-anecdote, us-them crap buy us? Nothing good.

I really don't see it as us and them... and for sure there's bad in all groups. But this particular group has built a bad reputation and I don't believe it to be totally unjust. There's just too many instances to be taken as some random bad behavior of uncategorized cyclist.
That said I still show roadies and all others on the path respect when I ride. As a matter of fact I try to stay out of there way as I know they're taking things a bit more seriously than me and my leisurely ride.
But if your going to shove your bad behavior in my (and everyone else's) face... You might just get some push back from me.
And as far as the ridicule here.... well that's just funny 🤣🤣

It is fun to poke some fun at someone who cannot smile or even be friendly. My experiences may not be represented because of where I live. The roadies here take riding a bike way too seriously to have fun or be kind. What is that big box sporting goods chain? That's what they are.
1678739157708.jpeg

No... They are definitely roadies on ultra light road bikes in full color coordinated spandex attire. There's just too many in groups for them to be some random yahooos. But I'll agree with you there, definitely wannabes.
I think they like to practice racing without having to deal with traffic. As long as the path/road is paved they feel they own it.

but - to refer back to your own point, you stated that the annoyingly close passes happened “3 to 4 times season” which is 3 to 4 times too many, of course, but hardly the majority or even a large minority of the number of cyclists out there. (i appreciate that you actually stated that - too often internet debate is all about hyperbole. people are “constantly” being subjected to various things, when in fact it’s rare)

and yes, most roadies don’t love MUPs. they generally have too much slow/erratically moving pedestrian and canine traffic on them.

there is one i ride on frequently because it’s the only way between points A and B (cars use a freeway) and i’ve never seen any major conflict, but i know that it happens. it has MANY speed limit signs, including the radar ones, share the path signs, and once it reaches a road which is legal/safe to ride on, there’s actually a sign which says “faster cyclists please exit and use roadway bike lane.”

which i always do.

Roadies hardly ever wave. They hardly ever look ahead. They go 3-4 times my average speed. I ride on road 97% of the time.
One thing that never happens to me is a close pass by a roadie. Those panniers sticking out in random folds, the lime green aluminum angle sticking out the back to support 30" long loads. The stainless steel cable sticking out the top of the pannier. Good thing, at 94 lb bike parts & supplies a roadie would take a big spill if he hit me from behind. I do stay in the right half of the car lane where the berm is too rough. I wave at people whose eyes might see me. Especially at people that wait for me at the stop sign or red light.
I'm serious about my heart health, but I ride a bike instead of a stairclimber in a gym because I like to look at stuff.Also my bike doesn't burn fuel to get me to the gym and back. Anybody else notice the weather is more violent, now?

No... They are definitely roadies on ultra light road bikes in full color coordinated spandex attire. There's just too many in groups for them to be some random yahooos. But I'll agree with you there, definitely wannabes.
I think they like to practice racing without having to deal with traffic. As long as the path/road is paved they feel they own it.
That must be a regional issue. Around here we have very few bike paths around here and none that are paved. There is plenty of road and that is where roadies ride and train. It sounds like you have a lot of entitled riders. That’s a shame.

Maybe calling them “road weeniest” is not helpful…. For some, riding is a lifestyle. Some do take it seriously, (safety, fitness, racing, survival…). There is often a change in mind set when a sport or activity is taken to a higher level.

I know plenty of road weenies. Most of them are just fine off the bike (and maybe on - I don't ride road bikes so I dunno). And they call themselves road weenies - they know the score :) . It's definitely a more uptight bunch though in general compared to everyone else. And yeah, I know a couple who are full-time weenies at life. And seriously, duding yourself up in the most logo tight-fitting weenie suit while you're out chipping away at somebody's Strava time kinda makes you look like a weenie.

To some I seem to take it seriously 'cause I have a bunch of bikes and try to ride everywhere. I do it for 3 reasons - to spend less time in traffic, exercise and for fun. No keeping score - just riding. It doesn't hurt my enjoyment any that others do, save the Chance Armstrong types who put other people at risk on bike paths. I get a kick out of silly people who take themselves too seriously.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a light road bike that I ride during the 'fair weather' months, but I also can admit that there are a lot of road riders that act like jerks. Kinda like the typical BMW driver. 😆 (and yes, my last SUV was a BMW 🙃 )
Here's an example of a group of serious jerks.

When I posted earlier in this thread, the first thing that came to mind is that exact kind of riding behavior as seen in @Deacon Blues youtube posted clip. Here in Northern Burlington County, bike paths running alongside county roads are few and far between and at that, just a recent phenomen as the county has woken up to the idea of providing some kind of shoulder or designated bike lane on a few miles of the county roads.

Those pack riders are most common on Saturday and Sunday mornings. One pack has passed the house on Sunday morn at 10 am for near 30 years. But they, like the rest, do not single up when a car approaches from behind. They keep the entire lane.

So what's the big deal, someone may say here? Well, when those people piss off motorists with their riding habits, I feel a solo rider coming along......say ME....... now has to share a road with a motorist with a bad taste in their mouth after meeting up with these self-centered roadies in spandex........

...I’ve never known a roadie that rides on bike paths...

Man, they're all over the place here. Not sure which are more dangerous - them or dogs. I've watched quite a few of them crash from carrying too much speed & overriding line of sight. Or just bad passes. Quite a lot of them seem to expect an unreasonable amount of situational awareness & reaction times from other trail users and now & again wind up having a bad time...and passing that bad time onto other trail users.

Burlington VT is doing a great job at implementing bike infrastructure. It is fun to see them walk like pregnant penguins when they stop. Most of them are not really in great shape with their spandex wrapped pear-shaped torsos.

Burlington VT is doing a great job at implementing bike infrastructure. It is fun to see them walk like pregnant penguins when they stop. Most of them are not really in great shape with their spandex wrapped pear-shaped torsos.

Burlington is very progressive. The Island Line Trail is mostly packed gravel and an interesting ride over to Grand Isle. It has a 15 mph speed limit and a bike ferry. I don’t get to Burlington very often, (about two hours away).

I haven’t noticed the spandex wrapped pear-shaped types when I have been there. Maybe they were tourists from California.

I concur... dog walkers are by far the worst. Passed one yesterday walking on the right with his dog 10 feet ahead of him on the left... 20' of leash across the path
Most dogs and owners I’ve encountered have resulted in mixed reactions. From well-behaved, mild-mannered pooches to rabid monsters. This pup may look cute and fluffy but he/she was just the opposite. Barking and growling it took a snap at my buddy in front before it took all of the owner’s strength to hold it back from attacking me. This was along a single track where we do come across locals from nearby homes walking their pets.

GH011249_Moment1.jpg

Most dogs and owners I’ve encountered have resulted in mixed reactions. From well-behaved, mild-mannered pooches to rabid monsters. This pup may look cute and fluffy but he/she was just the opposite. Barking and growling it took a snap at my buddy in front before it took all of the owner’s strength to hold it back from attacking me. This was along a single track where we do come across locals from nearby homes walking their pets.

View attachment 149243
Same here...
Most coral the dog at the first sign of a passing bike, but there's always a few that are oblivious.
We need a @PedalUma chew tool!

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a light road bike that I ride during the 'fair weather' months, but I also can admit that there are a lot of road riders that act like jerks. Kinda like the typical BMW driver. 😆 (and yes, my last SUV was a BMW 🙃 )
Here's an example of a group of serious jerks.

Been down that road numerous times... Yup...

Never could figure out the logic of wearing a spandex uniform while going for a leisurely bike ride or dressing up " like a sausage " as described in an earlier thread. Kind of like putting on a Nascar jacket to drive to Costco.....
well when you ride a lot its a lot more comfortable. padded shorts to help when your putting a lot of miles on a bike does wonders having pocket in back is great. if your just doing short rides then its not really a issue.

Never could figure out the logic of wearing a spandex uniform while going for a leisurely bike ride or dressing up " like a sausage " as described in an earlier thread. Kind of like putting on a Nascar jacket to drive to Costco.....
Yes, pretty silly for the many posers.

But for many roadies, the laudable goal is to ride far and fast under your own steam. In which case, streamlining by crouching in lycra becomes your best defense against your greatest nemesis by far at speed — air resistance.

Above crossover speed, the reduction in drag area (CdA) obtained by swapping baggy street clothes for sleek lycra can result in a significant reduction in total resistance. (See Wilson and Schmidt, 2020, Bicycling Science, 4th ed.) Since drag is proportional to CdA at all speeds, the benefit adds up over the miles and can be parlayed into greater distance, faster average speed, or reduced fatigue. Just like a motor does.

You don't have to be riding the Tour de France for this to make good sense. What doesn't make sense is to assume that the roadies are wrong about everything.

Last edited:
chew tool
Now I have to show it. Funny thing about air drag. Ever noticed that birds are fluffy and that bees are hairy? That causes micro turbulence which is slick. I normally ride in cashmere or merino. I can notice the difference. A golf ball with dimples will travel much further than a smooth one. Which is funny when you see grown men who shave their legs. Okay, here is the Bad Dog, Chew This tool. It deploys in less than one second.
1678818433995.jpeg
1678818708668.jpeg

Attachments

• BadDogChewThis5.JPG
    BadDogChewThis5.JPG
    279.6 KB · Views: 109
  • BadDogChewThis3.JPG
    BadDogChewThis3.JPG
    263 KB · Views: 104
  • BadDogChewThis2.JPG
    BadDogChewThis2.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 99