Why Roadies Don't Smile-funny article I just read

Seems like road weenies just take the whole thing way too seriously. There's nothing serious about riding a bike. That's what makes it fun :)

Only 2 "shoulds" in how you ride a bike:
1. Ride responsibly.
2. Otherwise, you be you.

Road cyclists wouldn't do all that work if they weren't happy about it at some level. Not what I'm after on 2 wheels, but hats off to them for putting in the effort to have their own kind of fun.

Cycling's done out in the open, there for all to see. Let's use this rolling billboard to model basic respect — something in dangerously short supply these days.

Seems like road weenies just take the whole thing way too seriously. There's nothing serious about riding a bike. That's what makes it fun :)
it can be both. but its hard to put effort in or ride 200 miles a week if there is no serious. if its just fun the bike tends to be a toy.

git (plural gits) (Britain, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, slang, derogatory) A silly, incompetent, stupid, or annoying person (usually a man).

Glad you guys worked it out. Way too much anger and road rage happening out there. Cooler heads prevail.
For fear of giving the wrong impression.. let me clarify.
In my experience it's not a majority of roadies that exhibit the behavior being mocked here. I don't encounter it weekly, nor even monthly.. but perhaps 3 or 4 times during a riding season and then usually when they're rolling in a group of 3 or more. Perhaps all those tightly wrapped balls in close proximity squeeze out a hyper-testosterone flow
But with said... Let me say that I swear.. on the souls of my grandchildren.. that I will not be the one to break the peace we've made here today. (again in my best Don Corleone voice ) 🙃

Ha! Same experience for myself and the wife in decades pounding pavement on fat tires in the Southwest US. Fewer than half the roadies acknowledge your presence, much less return a friendly gesture (the ones that do probably own MTBs as well). I get waaaay more positive responses from passing Harleys. Rob hit all the reasons spot-on, esp #7 and #9!

I have a acoustic road bike, e-gravel bike, e-commuter bike, and and e-mountain bike.
I live in a small town, which has a very high percentage of retired people and I always wave at other riders, no matter what bike I'm on. 99% of the other riders wave back.
On the other hand, When I'm riding in a much larger city (Victoria, B.C.) almost no one waves, but that's understandable, since there's so many cyclists, so I just don't bother.

I have a acoustic road bike, e-gravel bike, e-commuter bike, and and e-mountain bike.
I live in a small town, which has a very high percentage of retired people and I always wave at other riders, no matter what bike I'm on. 99% of the other riders wave back.
On the other hand, When I'm riding in a much larger city (Victoria, B.C.) almost no one waves, but that's understandable, since there's so many cyclists, so I just don't bother.
Love the screen name. Great song by a great group!

It is true. They take themselves too seriously and don't ride to have fun. To them it is like a monk in a hair shirt. Self flagellation. Yes and it is also about posting numbers, left brained, OCD, anal retentive and autistic. I will never post numbers. It is transportation and riding is fun. They are not going to ride a bike to a grocery store or to get lunch.

Numbers are too much work.
I can count in hexadecimal but it's a PITA
As soon as I run out of fingers and toes, the counting gets difficult.
Apparently I only have 14 hexadecimal digits.
I'm missing 6 fingers and toes?

Maybe calling them “road weeniest” is not helpful…. For some, riding is a lifestyle. Some do take it seriously, (safety, fitness, racing, survival…). There is often a change in mind set when a sport or activity is taken to a higher level.

Thirty some years ago I had taken mountain biking to a higher level, (group rides, group training rides, NORBA membership and XC racing). Road bikes were for when riding the trails would cause too much damage to them and for building endurance. I was also a competitive hang glider pilot at the time. The point is that once a certain level of competitiveness is sought or reached, the focus changes from fun to something that I can’t quite put into words, but it becomes more serious, (and less about having fun).

When I became more of a roadie I made a conscious decision to not be competitive. I still went on group rides, mostly because it was fun. I could keep up with the “A” group, but I preferred to ride with group “B” because they were having more fun, (or a different kind of fun). I had friends that wanted me to race and ride with the ”A” group, but I made a decision that this was going to remain fun. I have no regrets. I only competed against myself.

The “A” group was still friendly and welcoming to anyone that was riding, but they were very serious about their equipment, fitness, status and competitiveness. I don’t see anything wrong with that. Being competitive brings success in life as long as it is kept in perspective.

Some roadies are elitists. You get that in any activity including eBiking. Some don’t see cycling as casual. For some it is a life focus and an identity, but for many roadies, they are concentrating or even meditating. They are often expending a lot of energy and concentrating on not getting hit or harassed by some redneck in a pickup truck. They are trying to balance their energy, hydration and nutrition while avoiding road hazards and distracted drivers. They might come across many cyclists on a long ride and may not feel obligated to acknowledge every rider that waves. Most have a big smile after the ride. It’s more the result of satisfaction than from outright fun. For some, accomplishment and fulfillment brings a pleasure of its own.

Last edited:
Times I've been accosted by other bikers:

Roadies = 2x
MTB'ers = 0
Fatties = they have saved my arse a couple times
Causal bikers on the bike paths = 0

But if I could wave my magic wand and eliminate one thing on the bike paths it would be dogs on retractable leashes!

Maybe calling them “road weeniest” is not helpful….
How's arrogant doucebag?
Definitely more accurate and there's no reason for anyone to ride disrespectfully on a shared trail. You want to take your hobby to the professional level (or pretend that you are) find someplace to ride that doesn't piss on others.
Or maybe even better, stop the delusion and follow the rules everyone else is.

Times I've been accosted by other bikers:

Roadies = 2x
MTB'ers = 0
Fatties = they have saved my arse a couple times
Causal bikers on the bike paths = 0

But if I could wave my magic wand and eliminate one thing on the bike paths it would be dogs on retractable leashes!
I concur... dog walkers are by far the worst. Passed one yesterday walking on the right with his dog 10 feet ahead of him on the left... 20' of leash across the path

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a light road bike that I ride during the 'fair weather' months, but I also can admit that there are a lot of road riders that act like jerks. Kinda like the typical BMW driver. 😆 (and yes, my last SUV was a BMW 🙃 )
Here's an example of a group of serious jerks.

I live in the region where mountain biking was born. Initial conditions culturally matter long term. It was all about having fun although there were some competitions such as Repack. But those were for fun too. When I ride in Western Marin the roadies seem mean, shallow. and angry. It is fun to pass someone in all red, red shoes, on a red bike with team logos and stickers who looks constipated.
1678728557749.jpeg
1678728896573.jpeg

Last edited:
How's arrogant doucebag?
Definitely more accurate and there's no reason for anyone to ride disrespectfully on a shared trail. You want to take your hobby to the professional level (or pretend that you are) find someplace to ride that doesn't piss on others.
Or maybe even better, stop the delusion and follow the rules everyone else is.

I concur... dog walkers are by far the worst. Passed one yesterday walking on the right with his dog 10 feet ahead of him on the left... 20' of leash across the path
What are you talking about. I’ve never known a roadie that rides on bike paths except maybe for a family outing, (that kind of goes against the whole “road“ thing). If you have some wannabe road warriors terrorizing old folks and kids on your bike path, then we are talking about two completely different things. Those are not roadies. Yahoos maybe, but not road cyclists, (the root of the term being “road”).

One of the most dangerous things about human nature — and the one most likely to do us in — is our bad us-them habit. And here we are doing it with fellow fans of the greatest joy machine ever invented.

Are there ill-behaved road bikers? Sure. Are there ill-behaved ebikers? You bet — even on this forum. Are there ill-behaved mountain bikers? Plenty. Do some of these people think that only they know what to do with a bike? See above.

Nobody holds the high ground here.

What does all this generalization-from-anecdote, us-them crap buy us? Nothing good.

Last edited:
What are you talking about. I’ve never known a roadie that rides on bike paths except maybe for a family outing, (that kind of goes against the whole “road“ thing). If you have some wannabe road warriors terrorizing old folks and kids on your bike path, then we are talking about two completely different things. Those are not roadies. Yahoos maybe, but not road cyclists, (the root of the term being “road”).
No... They are definitely roadies on ultra light road bikes in full color coordinated spandex attire. There's just too many in groups for them to be some random yahooos. But I'll agree with you there, definitely wannabes.
I think they like to practice racing without having to deal with traffic. As long as the path/road is paved they feel they own it.

Back