Why Roadies Don't Smile-funny article I just read

Yes, pretty silly for the many posers.

But for many roadies, the laudable goal is to ride far and fast under your own steam. In which case, streamlining by crouching in lycra becomes your best defense against your greatest nemesis by far at speed — air resistance.

Above crossover speed, the reduction in drag area (CdA) obtained by swapping baggy street clothes for sleek lycra can result in a significant reduction in total resistance. (See Wilson and Schmidt, 2020, Bicycling Science, 4th ed.) Since drag is proportional to CdA at all speeds, the benefit adds up over the miles and can be parlayed into greater distance, faster average speed, or reduced fatigue. Just like a motor does.

You don't have to be riding the Tour de France for this to make good sense. What doesn't make sense is to assume that the roadies are wrong about everything.
Something that puzzles me is that most videos of road bikers show them gripping the upper part of the handlebar, rather than the drop part. Riding in that extreme tuck must be very uncomfortable. Or maybe there's another reason?

Something that puzzles me is that most videos of road bikers show them gripping the upper part of the handlebar, rather than the drop part. Riding in that extreme tuck must be very uncomfortable. Or maybe there's another reason?
Typically, you get down on the drops to sprint or cut your wind resistance. Most road riding is on the hoods. On top is for climbing, stretching, eating and drinking. Sometimes you just change position to relieve different muscle groups.

That and the spandex down there is too tight, sweaty. I went for a big kited out ride awhile ago with serious riders. Then needed to swing back to the workshop to finish a bike. The spandex was so hot and sweaty that I had to peal it off to function. Just as I did a guy walked in my office door without knocking.
"surprise,what opens up your eyes"' and its not a "butterfinger"( my favorite candy bar)

Back