Cooking on Tour

Mr. Coffee

Region
USA
City
A Demented Corner of the North Cascades
Eating well and cooking while on a bicycle tour can be a challenge, especially for those who lack experience. This post is intended to at least somewhat demystify that process and give you all some starting points.

Unlike, say, a long-distance backpacking trip or an expedition, the bicycle tourist is most likely traveling through places where suitable food is available for sale. So it rarely makes sense for the bicycle tourist to carry more than a few days supply of food (an exception is if you are planning a basecamp for several days or a week, which becomes a totally different discussion). Learning how to "live off the land" and improvising decent meals from the often limited selection in mini-marts, roadside stands, and the rare supermarket is an actual outdoor skill, just as much as finding a good campsite or navigating a maze of unmarked ranch roads.

One option is to not cook at all -- the cheapest, lightest, and most reliable gear is that which you don't carry at all. If the area you are traveling through is reasonably built up you can probably do just fine with restaurant meals, items from the deli sections at supermarkets, and whatever else you can pick up at mini-marts, fruit stands, and country stores. On my first long bike tour after the first two nights all of our meals were in grocery store parking lots, and we mailed the camp stove and cookpots home.

Cooking over an open fire is a romantic scene. Unfortunately, in much of the civilized world it is now a rare privilege, as total fire bans become more frequent and the lack of easily locatable fuel (or you can purchase bundles of firewood and haul them on your bike) make it a poor idea to depend on an open fire for cooking. In the very best case, cooking over a fire is usually a quite messy process anyway.

Alcohol-fueled stoves are inexpensive (if you search on google you can easily find instructions on how to make one yourself) and fuel is widely available (e.g. as HEET) at mini-marts and auto supply stores pretty much everywhere. The downside of alcohol stoves is that there is no way to control the heat output, and the overall heat output is poor and you can't cook for more than one or two people.

Canister stoves use a pressurized canister, usually with a butane and propane mix, to power the stove. Fuel canisters are generally widely available (outdoor stores, hardware stores, camp stores, sometimes even at big box stores like Wal-Mart), but different kinds of canisters are used in different countries so if you are touring in another country expect to do a bit of research. The stoves themselves are generally inexpensive and quite nice ones are available for less than $40. Another plus is that you can (in the United States) ship the canisters via parcel post, and order them on Amazon or from REI and have them surface shipped to you while on journey. The big downside is that in the absence of a postal scale or a lot of experience it is hard to judge how much fuel is left, and the heat output drops as the fuel is exhausted (this is largely due to the lower pressure in the canister) which means that last pot of coffee might be just barely lukewarm. These stoves perform worse at lower temperatures and at lower altitudes. At very high altitudes they burn hotter than any other fuel. Generally these stoves are best for one or two people. Canister fuel can be rather expensive.

Liquid-fuel stoves usually run off white gas ("Coleman fuel") or kerosene. These stoves are much more efficient and run much hotter in most circumstances than any other stoves. If you are in a larger group they are generally the best choice. They do require a certain amount of maintenance and skill to operate -- in the hands of an inexperienced cook these stoves can be dangerous and scary, and more than a few wildfires have been caused by the incompetent operation of these stoves. Fuel availability is generally good, but it can be quite a challenge to avoid buying a gallon (which is far, far too much to safely carry) of white gas. Some camp stores and outfitters will sell the fuel by the ounce. If you are using a kerosene stove you will need to use a priming fuel (usually alcohol), which you can do with a bit of sterno or HEET.

As for cookware and eating ware, if you are just getting started my recommendation is to go to goodwill. Find a decent but small (usually 1 quart (liter) is plenty big) cookpot, a good-sized plastic bowl, and spoon, fork, and butter knife to taste. Buy a cheap knife at the grocery store, and perhaps improvise a sheath for that knife from cardboard and duct tape. Then you are good to go for not very much money.

You can, however, get fancier if you like.

Evernew and GSI both make some very nice cook pots. Since on bike tour I am probably more likely to be reheating food from a can rather than in the boil-water-and-stir school of backpacking food a nonstick pot is nice. Like I said previously, unless you are cooking for a large group you want the very smallest pots. Providing consistent and smooth heat for frying is a challenge, but if you are up to it look for a small nonstick frying pan and you can make amazing and delicious meals with a bit of effort (if I can hit a grocery store with a decent deli section I will usually raid the salad bar for vegetables and chopped meat and then find packets of teriyaki or sweet and sour sauce to make a quite plausible stir-fry). You can find tiny camp spatulas at REI or just use a plastic spoon.

I usually carry one of the lexan/plastic sporks and find it more than adequate.

For a bowl, I found a 16oz (capacity) nalgene jar with a screw-top lid. This makes a most excellent bowl, cutting board, and you can store your leftover refried beans from dinner for lunch the next day. The jar also makes a great place to make tabouli or other foods that you'd soak for a few hours.

For drinks, I usually carry either a small, cheap mini-mart mug or a well-cleaned yogurt cup as a coffee cup (the whole coffee outside thing is an entire other discussion).

That and a small, cheap kitchen knife from the grocery store and I'm pretty good.

For cleanup, I recommend shop towels, a small piece of sponge (usually I will cut a sponge into quarters and take just one quadrant) and a tiny bit of dish soap (or take something like Dr. Bronner's soap that you can use to wash your stinky body as well as your dishes) and you are pretty much set. Usually I reheat a little bit of water in the dirty cook pot and use that to clean up (you can rinse fine with cold water).

They may also have delivery in whatever area we may be in at that point in time ? Also drone delivery is soon becoming a reality.

JetBoil FTW. 👍
They have some great recipes on their site as well.

I know some people who like their jetfboils. They definitely perform better in windy conditions than other canister stoves.

For myself, I am not a big fan. For a few reasons:
  • They are heavier and bulkier than other options. The fuel savings from the windscreen and heat exchanger don't seem to make up for the additional weight.
  • You are locked into their cookpots. There are lots of better and more appropriate options. In general I find the pots they come with are far larger than I typically need or want.
  • The heat exchanger bottom on the pots is extremely hot when you remove it from the stove. Excitement can result if you set the pot down on dry leaves, pine needles, or grass. And your pot will inevitably tip over when you set it down on snow.
A couple of stoves I like:

1. Snow Peak Giga Power Auto 2.0
  2. BRS-3000T ($16.95 Ti Stove)
And cookpots (I rarely take more than 1):

1. Snow Peak Trek 700 Titanium
  2. Evernew Ti Non-Stick Pot #1
  3. Stanley Mountain Compact Cook Set
I use the Snow Peak pot for backpacking and distance hiking, and use the Evernew Pot for bike touring, largely because it is easy to clean the non-stick pot and on bike touring I am more likely to be making things like mac & cheese or reheating a can of refried beans, and the non-stick pot is much easier to clean than the tiny snow peak pot.

As for other things:
  1. Light My Fire (tm) Spork
  2. Nalgene 16oz Jar
  3. Faberware 6" Chef Knife
I also either bring a swiss army knife with a can opener or a separate can opener. The old military-style P-38 ones work fine too.

50k miles with my JetBoil. Just fantastic.
One trip we made 40 cups of coffee with two stoves. Just amazing. Boil water in 2 min.
Doubles as a coffee press. Easiest and best performance on the market.
I absolutely love mine.
Have fun out there. 👍

Thanks for the reminder. I have two small white gas stoves. One, a Primus that folds up into a small box probably is an antique now. I got it for $5 at a yard sale in the 1970s. Both need working on, the other is a Coleman one burner.

White gas can be entertaining. I spilled enough gas onto a table top that a quick fire occurred. Unfortunately, nobody else was up yet to see the entertainment, only my dog saw it. The fuel burned off quickly and my table was unscathed. It was a Pat McManus moment.

I think both stoves might need some kind of gasket. The Coleman has fuel bubbling out the fuel cap while lit. Hmmm, sounds like a good winter project.

One method of cooking, which I mention for entertainment purposes only, is the One Plop method. You place an unopened can onto the fire and listen carefully. When One Plop is heard, you quickly remove the can, as it is rumored that the second "plop" will be an explosion. I've not tried this method, it may be a rural legend. :)

Last edited:
This thread got me curious so I went out and found the two little stoves. The Coleman seems to have an air leak somewhere as it will not pump up any pressure to get started. I'll have to rip it apart when the weather is better. The little old Primus started up, after I remembered how and found something to get fuel into the tiny reservoirr. The eyedropper bulb rotted out a few years ago. Now that I live in civilization, I'm sure I can find a replacement. The Primus still goes and goes. Here are pictures. I had turned it off, not that you could see anything. I did have flames shooting up a bit until the spilled fuel inside the stove burned off. White gas stoves can be exciting in a bad way.

Last edited:
If I have to cook remote outdoors for a couple of days,I'll bring something like this: sausage,dry mushroom and shrimp, besides cans food,tea and many instant noodles

Attachments

• IMG_20200125_140535.jpg
    IMG_20200125_140535.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_20191203_114539.jpg
    IMG_20191203_114539.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_20191227_075634.jpg
    IMG_20191227_075634.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 417
  • 雞絲麵5.JPG
    雞絲麵5.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 449
If I have to cook remote outdoors for a couple of days,I'll bring something like this: sausage,dry mushroom and shrimp, besides cans food,tea and many instant noodles

There are lots of great meal options out there if you develop an eye for what is available in stores and are a bit creative:

• One of my big go-tos is making burritos using either a can of refried beans (usually I find a half-can sufficient for three wraps and a very hearty meal) or instant dehydrated beans (if you can find them, they used to be widely available in "health food" and "organic" sections of grocery stores). Throw on cheese and chopped vegetables to taste (a good use of a store's salad bar) and some hot sauce and enjoy. You can use the leftover beans and tortillas for lunch the next day or buy some chips and use them as a dip. Tortillas of varying quality are now widely available, pack well if you are creative, and keep for several days.
  • Mac-and-cheese. You can buy it in a box or (what I prefer to do) is buy macaroni or shell pasta (preferably from a bulk foods situation) and add my own shredded cheese and heat it up in a frying pan. Hint: if you can get small packets of butter from the deli use three or four of them for the box mac and cheese instead of milk. Mac and cheese is also made seriously glorious if you add smoked salmon to it.
  • Ziploc pesto. Cook pasta, mix pesto mix, parmesan cheese, and olive oil (best if you can get little packets of it at the salad bar) in a ziplock bag. Add pasta to ziplock, toss, and eat it out of the bag.
  • Deli and salad bar stir fry. Get chopped veggies and possibly meat at the salad bar, add precooked lunch meat (roast beef and chicken and turkey work well) chopped up, mix in sauces to taste (one path is to use packets of sweet and sour sauce from aforementioned deli, I've also made great stir-fry sauce from a packet of unsweetened peanut butter (e.g. Justin's) and some curry powder). Fry in that frying pan to taste. Cashews or peanuts can also make this meal even better.
If you've got that frying pan, there are some amazing snack/meal options:
  • You can make fry bread on the go. I often make a little bit of bread to use as a sponge to clean up the leftover mac and cheese.
  • Sliced fruit, like bananas, apples, or peaches, can be gently sautéed with a bit of sugar (steal from sugar packets when you buy a coffee at the mini-mart). Delicious.
  • One bad habit I picked up from wildland firefighting was the various approaches to "MRE cookies" or "boonie fudge". Basically, add a tiny bit of water to leftover oatmeal or granola, add hot cocoa mix, and lots of sugar (again from the mini-mart). Fry. Perhaps add a little water to keep it going. Dried fruit or fresh berries you pick along the way can make this into a weird cobbler.

You know eastern meals are quite different from western, I hardly eat steak and cheese, milk cereal

Rice and noodle are usual meals of mine,without refrigerator, most foods can't survive more than 1 day 20+ degree celsius , I can only carry dry food and fish cans on road

Attachments

• edc6b8fb43166d221adc3cf2402309f79152d2ee.jpg
    edc6b8fb43166d221adc3cf2402309f79152d2ee.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 302
  • 菜飯便當65.jpg
    菜飯便當65.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 420
  • 滷鴨肉飯.jpg
    滷鴨肉飯.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 402
  • 海鮮什錦炒麵1.JPG
    海鮮什錦炒麵1.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 422
  • 1db3cd11728b47101b3eb645c2cec3fdfc03233c.jpg
    1db3cd11728b47101b3eb645c2cec3fdfc03233c.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
I live in Taiwan,we also have Chinese lunar new year since the day before, show what we had in dinner besides rice and soup,there were goose meat and pork leg with dry bamboo shoot, the last 3 dishes cooked by myself

Attachments

• IMG_20200124_142004.jpg
    IMG_20200124_142004.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_20200124_165059.jpg
    IMG_20200124_165059.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_20200120_231648.jpg
    IMG_20200120_231648.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_20200124_161309.jpg
    IMG_20200124_161309.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 397
I often take the large pot from my old Tatonka trangia rip off set, it's thin/lightweight stainless steel, can hold several liters of water and will not melt when on a hot camp fire. This i use for boiling water for safety in the Aussie bush. I've drilled 2 small holes in the top edge to attach a std bicycle brake/gear cable so i can get it on/off the fire easier and get water further away from the edge of a river/creek.

My kitchen pannier when it was all shiny and new. Food actually means less to me while riding than it does at home and clean up is way more difficult while touring. What I love is being able to actually cook a full meal when stopping at a motel during a ride. Proper nutrition is the most difficult aspect of food while sitting a bike for weeks at a time. Even the cowboys needed a chuck wagon to do it right.

You could get another 9x300W solar panels, another trailer, large battery and domestic electrical dishwasher (2400W) ! :)

You could get another 9x300W solar panels, another trailer, large battery and domestic electrical dishwasher (2400W) ! :)
The washing "machine" that I use is 142 grams/5 oz. and works really well. A multi-use item too, very important to me. https://thescrubba.com/products/scrubba-wash-bag 300W is sufficient for charging the battery and speaker but I'd love it to weight... well, close to nothing.

Last edited:
A couple large potatoes, a big onion or two, a can of roast beef, some oil and time. I always use my perishable food 1st so day 3 or 4 I get corned-beef hash for dinner and breakfast... might even have eggs left.

I live in Taiwan,we also have Chinese lunar new year since the day before, show what we had in dinner besides rice and soup,there were goose meat and pork leg with dry bamboo shoot, the last 3 dishes cooked by myself
Lucky person, you! I have been to Taiwan several times. Great food and the best oolong! Nice people! Sigh. One day, we'll be able to travel again, and maybe the rest of the world won't consider us Americans lepers. 😢

Back