Cooking on Tour

Mr Coffee, on post #69, posted a link to the fuel adapter. It’s a simple adapter that allows you to transfer fuel between canisters, typically, from a larger canister to smaller.
Actually what you can do with that gadget is completely drain a nearly empty canister and put the leftover fuel into another canister. You do that by having the canister you are trying to refill be cold (by putting it in a refrigerator) and the canister you are draining be warm (by putting it in the sun). Then you connect them with that little gadget and fuel flows from the warm canister to the cooler one.

This works around the problem that partial canisters have much lower heat output than full canisters.

I had some conversations last night and at this point in time am going with the GSI Pinnacle Soloist.

The Sea to Summit X-Pot Kettle was a close second but the lack of nonstick and the larger volume (even when it folds mostly flat, since I can use the interior of the pot for crushproof stowage) and likely difficulty of keeping it clean tipped the scale for me.

I had some conversations last night and at this point in time am going with the GSI Pinnacle Soloist.

The Sea to Summit X-Pot Kettle was a close second but the lack of nonstick and the larger volume (even when it folds mostly flat, since I can use the interior of the pot for crushproof stowage) and likely difficulty of keeping it clean tipped the scale for me.
Looks like a nicely done kit. A dry bag stuff sack that can hold water is a nice touch, and really lightweight.

Got the Pinnacle Soloist II kit today.

The "Foon" will not be traveling with me.

Cooked a can of black bean soup over the Pocket Rocket with this cookpot. Didn't scorch on the bottom and came clean with hot water and a wipe from some paper towels. So it looks like it is a good solution, at least when the nonstick coating is new. Probably also important to keep the heat very low when reheating stuff with any camping cookpot.

Was able to easily fit the stove, the sippy cup, and a large camp towel in the pot along with the weird little bowl included with the kit. If you carry fuel canisters in the pot I'd recommend wrapping them in a pack towel or something to keep from scraping the nonstick coating.

This version of the pot, at least, has measurement lines on the inside.

The new configuration:

IMG_1226.jpeg

IMG_1228.jpeg

IMG_1230.jpeg

Back