Coffee Technology on The Tour

You and @Gionnirocket could do a tourist guide to good coffee in both English and Italian ...
I enjoy making my coffee every morning... Grinding the beans and all are a pleasure.
@PatriciaK ...have you ever tried something similar to the Delonghi?
Much closer to what you would get in a bar across Italy. When my Roman barista cousin visited... he was quite impressed with the little machine and upon later moving to Australia... he got one straight away.
Drawing an espresso with a nice crema though just a visual is much nicer (imho) than hand whipping a schiuma.. especially if you don't take it with much sugar.

I enjoy making my coffee every morning... Grinding the beans and all are a pleasure.
@PatriciaK ...have you ever tried something similar to the Delonghi?
Much closer to what you would get in a bar across Italy. When my Roman barista cousin visited... he was quite impressed with the little machine and upon later moving to Australia... he got one straight away.
Drawing an espresso with a nice crema though just a visual is much nicer (imho) than hand whipping a schiuma.. especially if you don't take it with much sugar.
I typically don't use any sugar, just half cream. But as far as the "visual" there is no doubt that the new moka pot is handsome and the old percolator isn't ... and yes, looks matter at home, not on the road.

I typically don't use any sugar, just half cream. But as far as the "visual" there is no doubt that the new moka pot is handsome and the old percolator isn't ... and yes, looks matter at home, not on the road.
I concur... Looks aren't as important on the road... But I can't drink "dirty water" either, just because it's easier.
In the end.. once you master any method, the time/effort is negligible and the final result appreciated.

I often use a moka pot when at home, but normally use an Aeropress when traveling on 2 wheels. Rather than using paper filters, I prefer a stainless steel filter. I've been using this one almost 10 years:

While that specific item is no longer sold, I believe this is the same item:

There are also a lot more filter options than when I first bought it.
One of the things I love about my moka pot is the sustainable metal filter. The only thing that needs replacing is the rubber gasket.

Ladies and gentleman,
I visited my friend Błażej "Bidd" in Warsaw on last Saturday. (I had to drive the car because of my recent injury). Błażej -- who was the person to introduce me to the world of craft beer -- changed his interests to become a coffee afficionado! It is amazing to me how a person can become a coffee expert. All these percolators, aeropresses and whatnot!

Too much for my poor brain :)

Most grappa I've had has not been great, but in espresso, with 2 sugars, it's pretty good 😂.

There was this one time, in a little restaurant in Corniglia, one of the villages of the Cinque Terre, though... After dinner the owner came out and offered my friends and I a taste of the grappa his grandfather made, just for the family. I don't know how the guy amended the distilling process, but that grappa was FABulous! Hot yet smooth and a tiny hint of sweet going down - I've never had any like it anywhere since!
I've never experienced that with grappa.. at least not the fabulous part.... But have more than a few times with wine and limoncello. This sometimes offered sampling of a families homemade "reserve" is often the highlight of passing through small town. Me being American but speaking fluent siciliano often opens up many discussions and offerings. 😊

I've never experienced that with grappa.. at least not the fabulous part.... But have more than a few times with wine and limoncello. This sometimes offered sampling of a families homemade "reserve" is often the highlight of passing through small town. Me being American but speaking fluent siciliano often opens up many discussions and offerings. 😊
I'm not exactly fluent, but I do speak acceptable Italian, and, you're right - the language opens many doors for more authentic interactions and happy surprises 🤗.

Ladies and gentleman,
I visited my friend Błażej "Bidd" in Warsaw on last Saturday. (I had to drive the car because of my recent injury). Błażej -- who was the person to introduce me to the world of craft beer -- changed his interests to become a coffee afficionado! It is amazing to me how a person can become a coffee expert. All these percolators, aeropresses and whatnot!

Too much for my poor brain
Hot coffee before eBike ride , cold beer at end ...

I'm not exactly fluent, but I do speak acceptable Italian, and, you're right - the language opens many doors for more authentic interactions and happy surprises 🤗.
My hairdresser in Napoli used to call me "my general" because he said whenever I spoke Italian it sounded like I was ordering the battalions to march to the the front 🤣. I still need to work on my intonation😁. He used to order complimentary corretto for me every time I got my hair cut - I miss him/that experience!

My hairdresser in Napoli used to call me "my general" because he said whenever I spoke Italian it sounded like I was ordering the battalions to march to the the front 🤣. I still need to work on my intonation😁. He used to order complimentary corretto for me every time I got my hair cut - I miss him/that experience!
Sound like you got a little Northern Italian in you 🤣🤣

I still need to work on my intonation😁
This is a fascinating subject in itself!
Polish has a reverse intonation for declarative and question sentences compared to English. I can image the English intonation applied to Italiano might create some confusion, too. Pat, I honestly regret I never took my time to learn Italian (my Mother learned the language because of our family connections to South Tirol). Italian is believed one of the easiest languages for a Pole to learn understanding and speaking!

20220126_004926.jpg
Thanks.
I Think.

Last edited:
I often use a moka pot when at home, but normally use an Aeropress when traveling on 2 wheels. Rather than using paper filters, I prefer a stainless steel filter. I've been using this one almost 10 years:

While that specific item is no longer sold, I believe this is the same item:

There are also a lot more filter options than when I first bought it.
I just found out there is a local coffee company I've used for gift coffee that carries the Aeropress.
I plan to visit them, but the Aeropress just doesn't seem to have a strong competitor, and travelers mostly like it

All this talk of coffee got me thinking about how much I consume at home and the time involved to brew it via the different methods (moka pots, Aeropress, french presses, basic espresso machine, etc.) that it finally motivated me to order a Super Automatic for the house. Most of what I drink is just espresso or an americano. Hopefully this should be able to produce a decent coffee:

I went ahead and bought the LatteGo version for guest use or the very rare occasion I want a milk drink.

All this talk of coffee got me thinking about how much I consume at home and the time involved to brew it via the different methods (moka pots, Aeropress, french presses, basic espresso machine, etc.) that it finally motivated me to order a Super Automatic for the house. Most of what I drink is just espresso or an americano. Hopefully this should be able to produce a decent coffee:

I went ahead and bought the LatteGo version for guest use or the very rare occasion I want a milk drink.
So many ways to make a cuppa ...

I went ahead and bought the LatteGo version for guest use or the very rare occasion I want a milk drink..
Very nice.. 👍
But I stay away from fully automated machines as you can't change your draw (short - long) on the fly if at all and are typically harder to keep clean. For example I froth my morning milk right in my coffee mug. This not only requires less to clean but heats my mug at the same time. 😉
And I usually have an espresso around noon but on the occasion I have a 3rd later in the day, then I prefer a short over my noon long.

Last edited:
The Philips (Saeco) line are some of the easiest to clean. Using the AuqaClean filters, you don't even have to descale them very often. The whole brew group comes out easily for regular cleaning and lubrication. There's no lines for the frother, you can simply put the LatteGo in the dishwasher to clean it.

But I stay away from fully automated machines as you can't change your draw (short - long) on the fly

The 4300 series has an option for a ristretto. It's not a single keypress but is available under the "More drinks" button. If you opt for the 5300 series (considerably more expensive at this time). there's an option for a lungo. There's a simple menu to make small adjustments to coffee and water amounts (or milk) per drink type and profiles to save those preferences.

The Philips (Saeco) line are some of the easiest to clean. Using the AuqaClean filters, you don't even have to descale them very often. The whole brew group comes out easily for regular cleaning and lubrication. There's no lines for the frother, you can simply put the LatteGo in the dishwasher to clean it.

The 4300 series has an option for a ristretto. It's not a single keypress but is available under the "More drinks" button. If you opt for the 5300 series (considerably more expensive at this time). there's an option for a lungo. There's a simple menu to make small adjustments to coffee and water amounts (or milk) per drink type and profiles to save those preferences.
Sounds like as many settings as some eBike controllers. I am no longer enamored of lots of menus and controls. I just want on / off and a "do what I am thinking" dial ... low med high at most, on any consumer device.

I have a sister who included a built in microwave in her kitchen, but never learned to use it . Twenty years later she's found it makes a great breadbox.

But I imagine that your coffee machine is more a "set and forget" device. Anyway, time for my 11 am caffeine hit ...

My guess is the defaults will be pretty close. But I may "set and forget" minor tweaks to change it to my tastes.

I'm lucky here with lower NY state water as I don't have to descale.
The automated machines are definitely manageable, but I don't find them any more convenient nor do they make a better cup of coffee. An espresso takes less than 30 sec to draw, so it's not like you're left wishing you could leave the machine. All water amounts are visual and on the fly so it's without adjustment, calibration and limitless.
I think they're great for an office break room as you can serve many different likes and I'm sure once calibrated it'll work well... But then there's a lot of costly electronics left only for display and possible failure.

I guess I'm probably a bit anal to go automated. 😝

Back