Class 3 Bikes: What Do Manufacturers Know That We Don't Know?

Florida does that one better. There are 3 classes of e-bikes there, but they follow one set of rules. You can ride them anywhere you can ride a bike. THAT'S the ultimate in simplicity.

Most will admit that the rules in many, or most, states are a collection of poorly thought out knee jerk reactions. The ONLY purpose they serve is so they had something in place. It's my belief that changes making much more sense will slowly roll out as the ebike crowd evolves. My thought anyway, FWIW.
The original intent of the federal "low speed electric bicycle" was that when compliant to the definition and requirements in CPSC 1512 the ebike was not a motorized vehicle and could be ridden anyplace a bike could be ridden. As you said that is the ultimate in simplicity and it made perfect sense. States have had "traffic / use" laws for bike for many decades and if they would not have drank the 3-class legislation koolaid that People for Bikes drafted and lobbied for. For some reason they just couldn't grasp one definition to be used a bike so they wanted to create a regulatory mess. The did a good job but that is not what a bike advocacy organization should have done.

100% this. It's all about using your head instead of the electronics. I frequently ride my class 3 in places where it's technically not allowed, but nobody spares me a second glance because I don't bother them by riding past them like a maniac.
There is just one thing you need to understand. If you did happen to hit a pedestrian you are riding a unlicensed illegal vehicle and that could put some very serious liability on yourself. Just be aware of that risk.

There is just one thing you need to understand. If you did happen to hit a pedestrian you are riding a unlicensed illegal vehicle and that could put some very serious liability on yourself. Just be aware of that risk.
Probably true statement. If I hit a pedestrian with my car I’m screwed too even though I have insurance. Me hitting a pedestrian while riding where I ride is up there with me winning the lottery. It’s possible, but not something I over think or really worry about. I’ll probably bust my own ass on a hill or path much easier than me flattening a pedestrian.

Probably true statement. If I hit a pedestrian with my car I’m screwed too even though I have insurance. Me hitting a pedestrian while riding where I ride is up there with me winning the lottery. It’s possible, but not something I over think or really worry about. I’ll probably bust my own ass on a hill or path much easier than me flattening a pedestrian.
I agree but just something to be aware of. The problem with riding something ?illegal? is that personal assets are more at risk per say.

All this non-sense happened because of the 3-class legislation. What needed to happen was for People for Bikes to just advocate for the federal definition to be understood by all states to just be allowed every where a bike was allowed and there would not be confusion.

I'd be surprised if you can get to 28mph in an upright position. Energy required to go from 20 to 28 is huge! Aerodynamics play a big part in the equation.
In an upright riding position it takes about 1500W for a 200lb rider to achieve 30mph on a bike on level surface so few rders can achieve that speed for any length of time.

Its because bike companies are smart enough to know where the money is and im sure they sell more class 3 bikes vs 1 no matter the state and its regulations.

Last edited:
I just read my state's; no one under 15 can ride an ebike! WOW!
Not a bad idea imho, now what do we do with the 30yo who still have 14yo brains? I still see plenty of them on Youtube riding around like idiots!

Its because bike companies are smart enough to know where the money is and im sure they sell more class 3 bikes vs 1 no matter the and it's state regulations.
The only difference between a class 1 and 3 ebike is the programming of the drive system (they change the assist cut-off from 20mph (25kph in EU) to 28mph (45kph in EU).

It really seems strange to parse the two classes in the US with just an 8mph difference as the EU "speed pedelec" is nearly 2X faster than the lower class. But the goal in Europe seemed to be license, registration, and insurance fees from speed pedelecs which impacts the adoption rate significantly of urban mobility ebikes.

1. People pay more for class 3.
  2. People don't buy class 1 if they want class 3.

1. People pay more for class 3.
  2. People don't buy class 1 if they want class 3.
Not true in my case. I bought two class 1 bikes (with cheap aftermarket rack & fenders) for the price of 1 fully equipped class 3. Same brand & model. And class 3 are technically illegal (hence uninsurable) where I live. But I am not a wealthy man.

Laws are always evolving (devolving 😖). I've been riding since 2014 and have never been stopped or inspected, but I know others that have on the same trails and paths I ride. I think the whole riding rationally and you won't have trouble in most places will likely be true for a long time.

In PA enforcement grew this summer. On state owned land class 1 are legal and Rangers have a database of legal and illegal ebikes. They were checking this year. Trails and paths with trailheads make targeting enforcement a lot easier.

At the moment PA only allows class 1 and 2. 2020 the 3 class law was introduced in legislative committee. I haven't seen any movement with the law. I expect it will pass eventually.

I have a class 1 and a class 2. Because it's so easy to see the throttle on the 2, I keep it on the country roads and dirt roads near me. I use my class 1 on state and county land where its allowed.

To be honest if I already had a class 3, I'd try to ride the rational plan. Keep to the posted speed or the class 1 speed that's legal. If I was going to invest in an ebike today, I would buy a class 1 because it's legal everywhere I want to ride. I don't expect class 3 to ever be legal on trails and paths. PA has more rail trails than other states and 2nd or 3rd most miles. Neighboring states allow class 1. I was a little surprised state rangers were inspecting bikes this year, but given we are one of the few states to allow ebikes on 'off road' trails and paths statewide, I guess they are just trying to keep it safe and open to all. As I've heard all the encounters have been fairly friendly.

Ask yourselves why Class 3 does not allow throttle-assist. Is that logical?

Has anyone seen any data from People for Bikes justifying the parsing of assist speeds by just 8mph? Class 3 was only created to have a product definition in harmonization with the EU "speed pedelec" definition (it was never about safety or clarity as claimed it was only market desired by a few drive system manufacturers that just so happen to be huge car part producers).

I do support performance limits to allow and ebike to be ridden every bikes are ridden. That is what the federal definition in HR727 was intended to enable. That is what the congressional testimony shows. Sadly an bike advocacy group (being paid by industry lobby money) drafted a poorly conceived class system. Their main goal was to have class 3 harmonized with the EU speed pedelec definition and the other two classes we just an afterthought to make it look as if they really did something because they knew they would not be successful pushing legislation not allowing throttles. The 3-Class system really needs to go into the legislative trash bin but until more of us start to push against it it may end up the replacing the HR727 Low Speed Electric Bicycle definition that is simply and elegant and far better.

@J.R. you saw this coming before I bought my bikes, and it's probably locked in now. 😥

Ask yourselves why Class 3 does not allow throttle-assist. Is that logical?

Has anyone seen any data from People for Bikes justifying the parsing of assist speeds by just 8mph? Class 3 was only created to have a product definition in harmonization with the EU "speed pedelec" definition (it was never about safety or clarity as claimed it was only market desired by a few drive system manufacturers that just so happen to be huge car part producers).

I do support performance limits to allow and ebike to be ridden every bikes are ridden. That is what the federal definition in HR727 was intended to enable. That is what the congressional testimony shows. Sadly an bike advocacy group (being paid by industry lobby money) drafted a poorly conceived class system. Their main goal was to have class 3 harmonized with the EU speed pedelec definition and the other two classes we just an afterthought to make it look as if they really did something because they knew they would not be successful pushing legislation not allowing throttles. The 3-Class system really needs to go into the legislative trash bin but until more of us start to push against it it may end up the replacing the HR727 Low Speed Electric Bicycle definition that is simply and elegant and far better.
Ken, please don't turn another thread into your personal wailing wall.

I guess they are just trying to keep it safe and open to all...
C'mon JR....you just mentioned you have a Class 2 throttle-assist ebike. Do you think there is any difference in safey between Class 1 and Class 2? Be honest.

Then consider that going down a mild slope your Class 1 ebike can easily exceed 20mph what is really accomplished by parsing 3 classes from the federal definition (beside market harmonization of Class 3 with EU speed pedelecs)?

At least you checked the existing threads. This is such a devisive issue that I wish it would just go away TBH.
FWIW, I like the Canadian approach. One speed limit, no BS about throttle vs PAS, etc. I would like a 25mph limit for every thing including bikes , golf carts , and horse drawn buggies.
Nothing magic about 25mph except that we already have tens of thousands of miles of 25mph roads .
Not sure which part of Canada that you are referring to. As near as I can tell, we are just as screwed up, up here, as you folks are down there. Up here, our "magic number" for bike trails seems to be 500 W. Think that you folks are at least 750 W.

Last edited:
Ken, please don't turn another thread into your personal wailing wall.
I'm just trying to influence opinions just as People for Bikes did to convince riders and legislators that the class system is a good thing. I think at least the riders are starting to see how poorly it was conceived. That alone can help drive improved legislation in the future even if my preemption petition fails.

My guess is that 90% of ebike owners/riders are even aware there is a 2002 federal definition for 1 class "low speed electric bicycle" that was clearly intended to just be consider a bike for use by the states. Some still use it that way and it works just fine.

C'mon JR....you just mentioned you have a Class 2 throttle-assist ebike. Do you think there is any difference in safey between Class 1 and Class 2? Be honest.
Please don't quote me out of context. That snip has nothing to do with what I said. I won't get into a pissing contest with you on someone else's thread.

Not sure which part of Canada that you are referring to. As near as I can tell, we are just as screwed up, up here, as you folks are down there. Up here, our "magic number" for bike trails seems to be 500 W. Think that you folks are at least 750 W.
You are correct about the 500 vs 750 watts, but one speed limit for throttle or PAS, no class 3 bikes at all, no registration or inspections ... at least along the St. Lawrence and 1000 islands area I visited.

Back