CCS Tire Upgrade: Schwalbe, Conti, Maxxis...

From what I’ve read, 28” is Europe’s 29”, and has the same 700c rim size, which is 622 mm.

700c rims will fit a 28” or 29” tire since they have the same 622 mm inner diameter.

Last edited:
28" is the same as 700c. 700c is 27.5", some choose to round. It's also 29".

Deleted my 1st post to clarify:

My bike tire size is 700c X 28c. Will the 28 inch diameter (700c) by 2.00 width fit? What does the 2.00 equate to in mm for this particular measurement? Bike tire mfgs use different measurement listings. Gets a bit confusing. In addition, will a 32c width also work on my wheels?

I'm thinking I may upgrade my tires. Though I don't feel any particular need to do so I've always believed, for cars, motorcycles and bikes, that as the only part of the machine that actually touches the road, tires deserve serious attention.

I've done a lot of searching and found a few references to what some people like, but not a whole lot.

I'm hoping anyone who has upgraded, or is planning on it, might want to chime in on what they chose and why?

I should add that for me rain performance isn't much of an issue since I don't commute. My wet riding will be limited to getting caught out in it on exercise rides or day tours.

I agree good tires are very important and often overlooked. With e-bikes, tire qualities such as "They're round, black and made of rubber" no
longer gets it done.

I had two flats on my commuter bike last fall, the rear tire of course so I replaced the original Schwalbe Marathons with
Schwalbes' Flat-Less Marathon Plus series. I only have about 400 miles, but so far I really like them for my purposes ( flat protection ) The 5mm puncture resistant liner adds comfort to the ride, eliminated nearly all of the road 'buzz' vibration. They feel very solid and secure. Yes, the are a heavier tire, but that is not concern because additional flat protection is my priority.

I also swapped out the stock Bontrager Knobbies on my MTB for Schwalbes' Flatless Marathon Plus MTB because I ride my MTB on paved roads fairly often, yet need grip on gravel hard packed. Because of the center tread they ride very smooth and quit on paved, yet have a solid grip on gravel. I bought the MTB tires from a German based website, Bike24.Com and saved approx. $25 including shipping. Another plus, The largest size available in the US was 29 x 2.10, Bike24.Com had 29 x 2.25....Good luck

John from CT

Yeah it gets confusing. There’s the wheel diameter (700C) and then the outer diameter of the tire on the wheel when inflated (28”). 29’er is essentially a 700C rim with a knobby mountain bike tire installed.

@danstpete there are a lot of great tires out there with Schwalbe being one of my favorite brands, but more importantly, before you select a tire you need to define the needs and expectations of the tire. Different compounds, different fabric lays will make tires perform slightly differently.

Things to think about that may be important:

• Terrain tire will be used on (asphalt, crushed stone, stone dust, etc.....)
  • Are you looking for a tire for comfort or performance
  • Are you looking for maximum wear resistance or is maximum traction more important
  • Is resistance to punctures important (typically stiffer tire) or is the ability of the tire to conform quickly to the terrain more important
  • Is sidewall protection important

I just ordered the Almotion from bike24.com (thanks @John from Connecticut !) for $90 total rather than the $146 total they would have been on Amazon. Now we'll see how long they take to get here.

I got the 28 x 2.0, I figure that's wide enough and didn't want to risk and rub issues with the 2.15.
Looking forward to pics, especially of the remaining clearance :).

Also curious if Schwalbe's tire width sizing is internally consistent.

I ride only on usually smooth, pretty clean pavement.

Very happy with Michelin Protek Urban 700C 38 tires got months ago (they are easy rolling thin tires with a 1mm tread protection strip under a grippy-in-the-wet compound).

But a couple of weeks ago--after over one thousand miles--I caught a flat. Damn bougainvillea is a genus of thorny ornamental vines, bushes, and trees with flower-like spring leaves near its flowers. :rolleyes:

Repaired, having patched the rear tube, nonetheless, because of the season and where I live it is just a matter of time before I catch a flat again from a thorn. I will not go to a thicker or more armored tire because the cost of beefier tires is greater rolling resistance. And I wish for as low rolling resistance as it is possible to have, considering the tire's 38mm nominal width.

Therefore, because of the future inevitibility of a flat I have decided to take the plunge and go tubeless.

Tubeless bike tire sealants seal both new punctures and old and seal any porosity of the tire, including its sidewall and bead.

Tubeless running offers less rolling resistance, Watts less because you are not flexing a butyl inner tube, and this saving will be noticable in a thin tire, but probably not noticable in a thick or stiff tire.

The Watt savings of tubeless running is equivalent to a latex tube in easier running, with the gigantic plus of automatic, instantaneous sealing of most all punctures. Hooray for that!

However, CCS rims and the Michelin tires I run are NOT tubeless-ready; it may be a bit of a challenge to get this setup going. I will find out pretty soon!

Am about to order, and hope for advice if these choices are not good ones:
Orange Seal Endurance and Schrader (not presta) valves.

Gorilla Tape around the rim; here is the Park Tools instructional I'll follow,
Here are useful additional insights,

Last edited:
@Reid Awesome, this will be a big help for those of us interested in tubeless. Although, I wasn’t planning on tubeless when I ordered the Almotion, and may or may not have made a different choice had that been the case.

I just ordered the Almotion from bike24.com (thanks @John from Connecticut !) for $90 total rather than the $146 total they would have been on Amazon. Now we'll see how long they take to get here.

I got the 28 x 2.0, I figure that's wide enough and didn't want to risk and rub issues with the 2.15.

Hello,

Shipping time for my Schwalbe order took 10 or 11 days. Bike24 shipped the same day I placed my order ( Germany is
6 hours ahead of EST ) The 'delay' was when DHL, the shipper handed off my package to the USPS / Customs. Getting from
Germany to the NYC was the longest delay.

I can't complain because I bought Schwalbes for my Commuter bike via Amazon. The dealer was in Western New York.
It took 8 days to go all the way from their shop to Central CT...NY is next to CT : ) , but the shipping was $8.50

John from CT

However, CCS rims and the Michelin tires I run are NOT tubeless-ready; it may be a bit of a challenge to get this setup going. I will find out pretty soon!
Let us know how it goes Reid. I am definitely interested in doing this myself. I wish you were still running the stock Kendas as I'd like to see how they work with the tubeless conversion.

I asked Schwalbe if they planned to make wider Almotions or Supremes. They said no.

I also asked if the beach racing tire g-one speed was the fastest overall among wide tires, or just relative to mountain bike tires. They said overall.

So it looks like the g-one speed tubeless is bar none your best tire for puncture resistant smooth rolling wide tires. But it doesn't have a strong durability rating so you may be replacing them more often.

These may also help with riding over Sandy roads. Some of the paths I ride get covered in sand due to wind and half assed county management, and I have to slow to a crawl or dismount to travel safely.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180426-114848_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20180426-114848_Gmail.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 615
I put the Almotions on the bike on Saturday and now have about 100 miles on them. I'd say they are exactly what I expected; they feel faster, ride smoother and are quieter.

I have no doubt now that the 2.15 would have fit, and I wish I had gotten them in that size. The Almotion seems thinner than the Kenda for sure (unfortunately I forgot to take a "before" photo and I gave the Kendas away).

Attachments

• IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 927
  • IMG_1013.jpg
    IMG_1013.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 867
  • IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 879
These will arrive here on Wednesday

and I will go right to work to try to fit them as tubeless, despite this model being a tube-only type tire.
Big One is the old and obsolete name for today's identical G-One Speed LiteSkin in 29" x 2.35". Hence the sale price. Or if you prefer to retrograde the name of your G-One series tire, just get a couple of stick-on letters (joking) B-I. In that vein, maybe instead I will make mine 2018 models: I may just scrub the B-I off of these new old stock ca. 2016 tires! (nah, not really!)

A likely challenge, aside from geting a tubeless install, will be making this 60mm nominally wide tire fit the rear of a CCS.
And too, I expect to have to slightly file a dropout to get precise centering of the wheel (it is off by about 3/16" at the chainstay/tire shoulder nearest point). If the tire turns out to be about 57mm wide, as I expect it will be, there may be just enough room for it to fully clear.

Expecting also, the rear fender will need a bit of trimming, down near where it anchors and gets squeezed a bit narrow by the chainstay at its U bend.

We'll see soon! Larger volume yet than the 29" x 2.0 G-One Speed SnakeSkins I have run for a couple weeks already, and they will work OK on the stock CCS rims, though 10mm wider rims would be very much nicer!

There seems to be only a very small chance they won't be adaptable to the CCS....

This exact model was said to be the lowest rolling resistance bike tire of its genre (the current G-One Liteskin in the same size is identical in every way but for name).
Schwalbe Model Big One LiteSkin PaceStar, Year 2016, Part Number11600805TPI127, Compound: OneStar, Bead: Folding, ETRTO 60-622 , Size 29" diameter, 2.35" width, Specified Weight 440 grams, Max Pressure 50PSI.

ADDENDUM: here is a comparison between two basically similar yet very differently aimed tires: the Big One LiteSkin, beach-purposed tire detailed in the post above, and a more rugged, more treaded, Continental MTB racing tire. Note the cost of a less flexible tire (horses for courses) though it is named a racing tire.
https://www.bicyclerollingresistanc...ing-performance-2015-vs-schwalbe-big-one-2016

While the reduced rolling resistance of a large volume thin-walled tire really appeals to me, it is the bigger-the-better tire's improved ability to float the bike over sand and gravel, to allow me use the road shoulders more confidently, that is of most practical value.

Addendum #2. The tires are slated to arrive Friday, 25 May. I am counting the days to find out if they can be fitted to a CCS with fenders. Yay. Maybe....

Last edited:
Reid, how do you like the 38 mm tires? I'm thinking of going to 38 mm Schwalbe Marathons to replace the Kenda's when I get to roughly 4,000 to 5,000 miles. I find the stock Kenda's ok, but figure when the tire gets worn that I want to go to the Marathons for flat protection and hoping that going down to 38 mm will mean a bit less weight and hopefully a bit lower rolling resistance to offset the bulkiness of the Marathons.

Back