Stromer ST1 Review - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Nice review Gus.

Just to add my 2¢, on my 14.5Ah ST1 Elite I use approximately 1% per kilometre in City mode. I'm 6'2" 232lbs. I've set my assist ratio to 30 and it's mostly flats with a couple of minor hills.

Earlier in the week I did a 72km ride in Eco mode with 56% remaining. I used Power a couple of times when I wanted to avoid hard peddling. My average speed is around 25km/h.

Update: I've lowered the assist ratio to 20% (you need to pedal harder) and in city mode it's more like 0.8% battery per kilometre. My weight is now hovering around 230lbs.

Update: I've lowered the assist ratio to 20% (you need to pedal harder) and in city mode it's more like 0.8% battery per kilometre. My weight is now hovering around 230lbs.
Awesome to hear! Sounds like the e-bike workout regimen is serving you well ;)

Great review, Gus, I've been riding a Stromer Sport for almost a year now, and am in the process of getting an ST1 Platinum, I live in Los Angeles, not a lot of hills and the extra speed will come in handy in my commute.

Looking forward to the new ride, and posting here :) Just found this place, seems to be the most active Stromer forum in the US/English.

Took my 2014 ST1 Elite for a 150km ride recently. Total of 1800km now.

The rear derailleur now skips gears (it's always shifted poorly even after taking it to three different bike shops).
The freewheel still makes all sorts of clicking noise.
The electric brake switch sensor seems sticky. (stays in Regen2 after releasing)
Rear disk can wake the dead, front finally quieted down.

I'd like to keep it running through the summer before I take it in for warranty service. The brake sensor may be a show stopper though.

Still love the bike.

If I don't stay in top of keeping my rear disk clean it can get quit loud too.
It's weird that 3 bike shops can't figure out a derailer... It's not that hard. Type in the name of your components on YouTube and you'll be able to adjust it yourself!

I spend a couple of hours going through those videos, with some adjustment it's better than it used to be.

Now I have to figure out that sticky electric brake sensor. Is it reed, hall or just a switch?

If I don't stay in top of keeping my rear disk clean it can get quit loud too.
It's weird that 3 bike shops can't figure out a derailer... It's not that hard. Type in the name of your components on YouTube and you'll be able to adjust it yourself!

Yeah I have kind of given up on solving the rear break squeal.. Running on regen lessens the brake load and noise, but that only kicks in under 70% state of charge... Scotchbrite, degreaser, sanding, new and different pads... Whatever I do only seems to remedy the squealing for a couple of days.. And forget about it in the rain.. LOUD! lol

Seems the sticky Regen 2 on is the brake lever is because it's not springing back all the way. Any suggestions on grease or lube for brake levers?

I'm pretty sure it's an internal spring. I'd take it to a bike shop that deals with Magura hydro brakes and see if they can sort it out

I just love the way this bike looks, it's freaking sexy and if I had 4k to blow on such a beauty....lord knows.

2200 Mile Update Summary _____________________________________________
I now have over 2200 miles (3540 km for you metric folks :)). My Stromer has now been through the end of a freezing winter, spring, and now almost through the Summer. The hottest day ridden was 98F and I never had an issue with overheating, so the bike has shown to perform fine through -5F to 98F.

In a word, the Stromer is a workhorse. I am so glad I got the big, beefy tank for commuting compared to the lighter, smaller eBikes like the Turbo or Neo Race. My commute is filled with nasty stuff. Pot holes, gravel, glass ridden shoulders, off road trails, construction zones, limestone paths, and a$$hole drivers. There is a building under construction that I have to ride by every day and the road is always filled with rocks, loose gravel, mud, and misc metal crap that fell of the trucks. I would be white-knuckling-scared-out-my-mind on skinny tires. The Stromer just barrels through it all without skipping a beat. The other day I was in an offroad section of trails where the grass is so overgrown I cannot see what is on the ground. I rode over a glass bottle. The bottle didn't shatter but did result in a heck of a thud as I rolled over it @ 10 mph. The bike was completely stable. I have had a bunch of instances like this where I was glad I picked a bike that was more mountain bike than road bike.

I am really surprised with how well the Big Ben tires are holding up. I rotate them every 1000 miles and there are no signs that I'll need to replace them anytime soon. Tons of thread depth left. I'd say the front and rear brakes are about 50%. I have a stop intensive commute to work, so this brake lining life is pretty good stopping this much mass.

Mechanical/Electrical/Performance issues:

• MAJOR: Had to replace the rear freewheel. The knocking sound that I refer to in my UGLY section was resolved with a freewheel replacement.
  • MINOR: Had one spoke loosen around 1800 miles that made some funny noises until it was tightened.
  • MINOR: 2 Flats. Installed Mr. Tuffy tire liners and have not had a flat since *fingers-crossed*
  • MINOR: The Regen mode does not activate all the time. This appears to be random but sometimes when I depress the right brake, it never switches to regen mode. I cycle the power and it starts to work. This started to creep up around the 2000 mile mark. Its so random it would be difficult to repeat & diagnose right now, so I'll just wait and see with this one.
  • MINOR: Again, randomly, after I power up and start riding something just isn't right with the power delivery to the motor. It's like its not running at full power or continuous power. If I stop, power off, and power back on again - its fine. This happens about once every 50 rides or so. I am never on the pedals during power up, so that is not a factor.

Gus: Is the freewheel just a standard Shimano cassette replacement? Is it something end use swappable (yes I enjoy tinkering with my ST1)

I also changed the rear tube to a thick mountain tube.

Gus: Is the freewheel just a standard Shimano cassette replacement? Is it something end use swappable (yes I enjoy tinkering with my ST1)

I also changed the rear tube to a thick mountain tube.
I believe the standard freewheel is from Sunlite which under warranty was replaced with the same crappy freewheel.

If it continues to be a problem outside of warranty I'll definitely be replacing it with something else.

I got the sticky rear brake lever to finally work smoothly. I used Tamiya Ceramic Grease on the spring and hinge points. Seems to have done the trick.

I've also learned how to adjust the rear derailleur with the help of a ParkTool stand. Next on the list is learning to replace the brake pads.

Last edited:
BlueBill - the Stromer uses a freewheel and not a cassette (free hub). In that regard, your options for 9 or 10 speeds is limited. The old standard was a freewheel, where hub components were in the freewheel itself. Most bikes today use a cassette, which is just a set of cogs with no hub components. I do not believe Shimano or SRAM makes a 9 or 10 speed freewheel anymore.

Yes! You're right Marc and there is no quality product anymore on the market. I spent a lot of time but without any success.

Back