Stromer ST1 Review - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Doubt its any more of a problem than the fact that it's a bicycle part with now about 4-5x the power they were designed for.
Not to mention the 60lb bike it's pulling around.

You're right - in case of these mid-drive bikes...

Luckily, all Stromer have the rear hub drive.

... you don't need a freewheel with a mid drive. ;)

Hmm, maybe a question of terminology.

The Stromer-freewheel is integrated into the cassette. This type of freewheel is outdated, therefore, there are only a few "B" suppliers. The ST2 has the freewheel in the hub. This type is used in the most bikes.

upload_2015-5-20_19-22-45.png

Cassette of ST1 LTD blue

Last edited:
Not really.
A freewheel takes the PLACE of a cassette.(both clusters of gears, but they mount differently)
A freewheel has the mounting parts on it, and not the bike wheel.
A cassette mounts on a wheel that has the parts on the wheel.
So you use either a cassette OR a freewheel.
You might be describing a freeHUB on the ST2, but those are very rare.
MOST bikes have a cassette, as they have a "normal" rear hub and not a motor.

freewheel-vs-k7-640x332.jpg

Not really.
A freewheel takes the PLACE of a cassette.(both clusters of gears, but they mount differently) ...

Thanks for bring up the correct terminology!

The parts which allows keeping pedals still whilst the wheel is turning are:

ST2 (original title "Freilaufkörper"):
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
ST1 & Stromer Classic / V1 (measure: 43mm):

freewheel-vs-k7-640x332.jpg

Thanks for bring up the correct terminology!

The parts which allows keeping pedals still whilst the wheel is turning are:

ST2 (original title "Freilaufkörper"):
ST1 & Stromer Classic / V1 (measure: 43mm):
Thank Fellas, it is crystal clear now.

Great thread! Very helpful. I am at the 1 year mark for my ST1 and I have a couple similar issues. It's been my daily ride since the new year.

I have had 3 things start to fail at this point.
  1. Rear brake sensor starts to act up, then died.
    1. The brake lever assembly needs to be completely replaced which in my case is under warranty, but I have been waiting over 2 month for update on replacement which is out of stock.
    2. Once this part fails your brake pick up the slack of stopping you and the motor which might still be pushing the bike. Thus messing with your overall range. Plus you need to be careful at lights if you take your hands off the brakes.
  2. The rear brake is crazy loud and howls. I have been degreasing the hell of of it but have not had any luck. I'm going to clean again and change to fresh pads this weekend and see if that helps.
  3. Just broke my first rear spoke the other day
Question: What size spokes does the rear wheel use? Can you post a link to them on Amazon?

My bike has been very happy for a while after the brake handle was replaced.

I have tried two types of brake pads. I start by degreasing the disks as best I can. New break pads really help, I seem to need to replace my breaks about every 8 months. I have half stop and go downtown riding with some steep hills and half bike trails and flatter high speed riding. It's been hard to find good pads that are available for multiple years in a row.

DT Swiss ( double butted) on the rear spoke, is what my St2 has. And I am running Jagwire (for magura ,semi-metallic) brake pads . Very pleased so far( about 50 miles ), big improvement over original pads.

Back