Build or buy?

Nvreloader

Western Nevada
Region
USA
The better half indicated that she want to TRY an Ebike, both her knees are bad, she can walk several miles but has no power to push in her legs.

Would I be better off buying a Ride 1 ebikes>$2000 step thru or build her one,
as I have a Schwinn 1990 High plains, 21 speed MTB sitting in the shed since 3/1990,
parked there after collecting a bullet thru the guts/right hip, from an felon during a traffic stop, and couldn't ride for 6 months due to the injuries from collecting a bullet.

Spec's for this MTB are here:

I want a Mid Drive 500/750w, thinking BSSHD motor, Throttle, pedal assist/Torque sensor, 48v battery, 15+amp range/size.

I will change out the cable brakes to hydraulic or cable tension type of brakes,
put on 2x2.50" semi fat tires, keep the fenders, if possible put in an adjustable seat post/Cloud 9 seat, back rack, plus head/tail lights.

Your thoughts and suggestions...........
Tia,

You can do a little of both. Get her a nice shiny (not proprietary) premade bike. Then, if (after the warranty) it ends up lacking, you can change the controller and display to breath new life to the motor with a bit more power and maybe even more features. You can certainly fine tune the system if you go with KT controllers.

Yeah, I second the bbs02 recommendation. I put one on a trek 7.2 at 52v. At full charge, and on the level, it does 35mph.

Thanks Guys
I forgot that I want a programmable motor Uart type,
but I don't know if the BBSHD is programable.

Are these models programable?
I have not found any info that any of these type models are programable, so far.

I would believe that being programable, I should be able to set it up for the best options for my better half. I need a Mid motor as the hills are steep/rough around here.

Will a Egg Rider display/programmer work on/with these models?

I think you're going to overmotor your 1990 Schwinn with a BBSHD. That motor is designed for cargo bikes, think pedicabs.
You would want disc brakes, and suspension. Though some people want to go 40 mph on a bicycle. Best to be on the best truck you can find for that. Coming off a bike at that speed is a life changing, if not life ending, event.

The BBSHD for one is not a torque sensing motor its cadence which might actually be better for your lady's knees but imho a purpose built bike is the way to go for your first bike, build a DIY bike after you have some ebike experience and you know exactly what you need in an E-Bike.

Ok Guys
This is what I have found so far for a good premade e bike, I think <$2000
that fits for what I feel she should have on her bike, for around here,
a programable Mid Drive 500/750w, thinking BSS02/BBSHD motor, Throttle,
pedal assist, 48v battery, 15/20+amp range/size, full length fenders, head lights.

(I am not sure about this foldable bike, possibly just another failure point)?

I am going crazy looking at all the spec's.............LOL

Oh. Same! I like to see what is out there, even though my bike is (almost) perfect. I keep looking at rize bikes. They often have sales. Including a free second battery. They seem to use 21700 (Samsung 50E) cells, which I would consider a got-to-have if I was in the market for a new bike.

Oh. Same! I like to see what is out there, even though my bike is (almost) perfect. I keep looking at rize bikes. They often have sales. Including a free second battery. They seem to use 21700 (Samsung 50E) cells, which I would consider a got-to-have if I was in the market for a new bike.
Rize seem to get a lot of hate but i have one and love it, i would also buy from them again in a heartbeat.

Ok Guys
This is what I have found so far for a good premade e bike, I think <$2000
that fits for what I feel she should have on her bike, for around here,
a programable Mid Drive 500/750w, thinking BSS02/BBSHD motor, Throttle,
pedal assist, 48v battery, 15/20+amp range/size, full length fenders, head lights.

you are overthinking this,trust what the group as a whole recommends

I am going crazy looking at all the spec's.............LOL

20" and smaller wheel bikes are only for places with perfect pavement IMHO. After an adult has ridden through a pothole he/she did not see, the bike may be parked permanently. You can't spot holes if following a car through a traffic light, or if rain or snow covers the pavement. 24" up tires transmit much less shock. I ride 26"x2.1" tires.
Lectric, ride1up, biktrix are respected brands. Schwinn less so. Dealer support can be important if there is a problem. Swapping parts from e-bay as I do on my converted bike is less viable with controllers batteries & wiring integrated into the frame of a packaged bike.
I wouldn't let integrated headlight taillight restrict selection. 150 up lumen taillights are adequate. 400 up lumen headlights are adequate, and wrap to the handlebars. I buy lights from modernbike.com or universalcycles.com . The ones I bought from the LBS were garbage. I'm using a catseye 400 now that has a dim/bright blink mode. The most interesting taillight now is the cycliq Fly6 which both blinks and has a camera that records the rear view for the last 4 hours, looping. Cycliq also has a front model that wraps to the handlebars that records the front view and stops the recording several minutes after a sensor detects an impact. These models will download to a PC through a micro-usb charge port, unlike other brands that require the owner to posess & carry a android or apple cellphone. With the cameras simulating tail+headlights there may be less tendency to steal it while I am shopping, attending a meeting, or working with the bike cabled up. I wish I had owned cycliq (or known about it) the time I was hit & run. He was driving too fast to get the license plate #. Minor injuries, but ruined a $150 pannier bag.
BTW range of bike is correlated to amphours and watthours, not amps. Max amps correlates to how powerful the motor can be. I ride a 17.5 AH battery, which in its 5th year is beginning to shut down the controller (low volt protection) up the steepest hill on my route (12%), about 24 miles out.

Last edited:
The better half indicated that she want to TRY an Ebike,

Take your wife to an LBS and let her TRY every bike she can.

Let her pick out her own damn bike, then none of us idiots are to blame for any of her bad decisions. 😂

After all the test rides, buy the closest match you can find online.

Seriously, she needs to take some test rides.

Rize seem to get a lot of hate but i have one and love it, i would also buy from them again in a heartbeat.
I see that too, but it seems more incorrect assembly or operator error. The BBB site only shows one complaint in the last 3 years. It was in regards to contacting support to eventually fund a broken hall sensor wire and a bad hall sensor. I’m not sure how both can be bad at the same time, but there was resolution. I try my all to NOT contact support. I’d rather fix it myself. If I’m going to go through a hassle, it’s going to be to learn how to do it. YouTube has given me the confidence to fix many things. HVAC, water heater, kitchen aid mixer, cotton candy machine, building a chicken coop, all kinds of things. I’m pretty handy.

A bit off topic, but one thing about rize bikes, and other bikes with a bafang middrive that I’m curious about is if the motor (M620) can be user programmed with the display/usb cable.

Take your wife to an LBS and let her TRY every bike she can.

Let her pick out her own damn bike, then none of us idiots are to blame for any of her bad decisions. 😂

After all the test rides, buy the closest match you can find online.

Seriously, she needs to take some test rides.
Great advice. The EXACT bike may not be there, but she will know what size bike to get. The fit of the bike is the most important thing. Maybe even figure out what other features she would like. From there, she can narrow down which bikes would be comfortable for her.

Hey @PedalUma have you converted a Schwinn 1990 High plains, 21 speed MTB?

Sometimes simple is better

magicycle commuter on sale now

Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 09-04-04 Commuter Hidden Battery Road eBike - Magicycle Bike.png

So I think it is a great bike for your wife to try. I got one and live in a hilly neighborhood and can go up the steepest hill in pas 2 or 3. Most of the time pas 1 is enough and great for no effort peddling. Then she can add things if she wants. On mine I changed the seat and added a suspension post. Also added an adjustable handlebar riser so I can sit more upright. The waterproof phone bag is from magicycle. I tried some soft panniers for grocery runs but did not like them so I switched to some locking hard cases. The only issue she might have is starting up if stopped on a hill but other than that the single speed belt drive is quiet and maintenance free.

PA175691.JPG

PA175692.JPG

PA175694.JPG

PA175695.JPG

PA175696.JPG

PA175697.JPG

Used code M60 for $60 off sale price.

Last edited:
Back