BMZ Connect C Bluetooth module for Brose powered Bulls E-stream

JukyD

Region
USA
I wanted to share my experience installing and using the BMZ Connect C bluetooth module for my Bulls E-stream Evo AM 4, since I didn't find much info already out there.
jukyd_bulls_estream_am4.jpg
connect_c_-_bluetooth_dongle.jpg

The bluetooth module is available direct from the Bulls website: https://www.bullsbikesusa.com/brose-connect-c-bluetooth.html
It doesn't come with any installation instructions, but the Bulls customer service chat personnel were very helpful answering my questions.

Installation is actually very straightfoward. First, make sure the bike is off at the display. Battery in is ok, but bike powered off is important.

Next, there is a small side plate on the opposite side from the chain/drive side. Two hex screws hold it in place. Once removed, it's possible to fish out the white plastic connector tucked inside. I found it easier to set the bike upside down and remove the metal strike plate below the motor for easier access, which has 4 hex screws. The trickiest part is that the white connector is wrapped in a rubbery gray heat-shrink to protect it from weather.
To remove it, cut the heat-shrink with small scissors or blade and peel back until it comes free. Use caution not to damage the connector itself. Once the connector is uncovered, it's easy to plug in the Bluetooth module until it clicks. Tuck it inside the frame, reattach the protecting plate, and done.

bulls_bluetooth_1.jpg
bulls_bluetooth_2.jpg
bulls_bluetooth_3.jpg
bulls_bluetooth_4.jpg

I haven't seen the mission control app for Specialized Turbo Levo bikes, but I imagine this provides similar functionality. Look up BMZ Connect in Android or Apple Appstore and download to your phone. Launch the app while the bike is on and it will look for new "vehicles". Pick your bike from the results and pairing should happen smoothly. Once your phone is paired, it checks the firmware version and allows you to update to the latest. Mine was done in less than a minute. That's the best part of having the module is being able to do self-service firmware updates without having to wait for servicing at your local shop. It also gives a dashboard view with more info than the Bloks display, like current (amps) and motor temp. It offers a map navigation view as well. Lastly, you can use the app to tweak the assist levels of the 4 PAS modes as a percentage, where the default is 15%, 25%, 50% and 100%.

I enjoyed the ease of install and convenience of the bluetooth module, and I think this kind of thing should come standard on all ebikes in the future. Note that you have to register an account with BMZ to use the app. It also asks for access to your location for the mapping features. Not sure if that gets sent back to BMZ or not, but you can always disable location for that app specifically if it's a concern. Fingers crossed that BMZ will someday offer an equivalent to the Bosch EMTB mode, where it automatically switches between low and high PAS modes. If you do have to get your bike serviced at a shop, they probably use the same port for diagnostics, so check afterwards using your app to make sure the module was reinstalled. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• jukyd_bulls_estream_am4.jpg
    jukyd_bulls_estream_am4.jpg
    832.1 KB · Views: 589
Last edited:
Thanks for the excellent review! I’m strongly considering this to avoid a 60 mile each way trip to my dealer for firmware updates and adjusting assist levels. Does the display show hours/miles of use? I guess I will find the app and see what I can fin.

Thanks for the excellent review! I’m strongly considering this to avoid a 60 mile each way trip to my dealer for firmware updates and adjusting assist levels. Does the display show hours/miles of use? I guess I will find the app and see what I can fin.
The app lets you pick a destination, and then it will display timing and distance stats about that destination. It does not estimate remaining range or time based on charge. I think the Bloks display gives range estimate.

I actually had an issue recently where the bike was on but not giving any assist, and the app was helpful in confirming that the motor was drawing zero amps in all assist levels. Had to fiddle with the dropper seat post stem position and cabling a bit to get it working again. That dropper seat is the most finicky thing about this bike.

Many thanks. Here is something odd — you mention that the app immediately detected a firmware update required and allowed you to update it. But on the Bulls website there is a specific question about firmware updates and the Bulls person says that it does not support firmware updates. So, either the Bulls person is mistaken or the app functionality has been curtailed since you bought the device. I’m going with 1 but I won’t know without buying it I suppose.

Many thanks. Here is something odd — you mention that the app immediately detected a firmware update required and allowed you to update it. But on the Bulls website there is a specific question about firmware updates and the Bulls person says that it does not support firmware updates. So, either the Bulls person is mistaken or the app functionality has been curtailed since you bought the device. I’m going with 1 but I won’t know without buying it I suppose.
App history in the Apple Appstore mentions that app was launched 2 years ago with version 1.2 and firmware update capability was added a year ago in version 1.7. Latest app version is 1.12. It's possible that not all Bulls reps are caught up on the latest app enhancements since it's managed by a third party. It definitely DOES recognize firmware versions and push updates.

Hi Thanks, for the detailed Review !!! :)
Have been wondering about the same..

Rather than using the BMZ Connect C App..
I noticed there is a Connected App by Bulls.. free download as well..

Wondering if this Connected App will work with the Bulls Connect C Bluetooth Module ?

Some features will probably only be Supported in Europe, but the Console seems much better.

Try this Link below

Here's some more details..

BULLS CONNECTED BIKE - THE FUTURE OF SMART CYCLING​

The interaction of future-oriented mobility and state-of-the-art data technology create the BULLS Connected Bike. In close cooperation with project partners ESB and BMZ, BULLS is building the fully linked E-Bike of the future based on the model series BULLS E-Stream Evo, BULLS Sturmvogel E Evo and Green Mover Lacuba Evo, available as of 2017.

Thanks,

Yanek

Last edited:
I wanted to share my experience installing and using the BMZ Connect C bluetooth module for my Bulls E-stream Evo AM 4, since I didn't find much info already out there.
View attachment 84844View attachment 84852

The bluetooth module is available direct from the Bulls website: https://www.bullsbikesusa.com/brose-connect-c-bluetooth.html
It doesn't come with any installation instructions, but the Bulls customer service chat personnel were very helpful answering my questions.

Installation is actually very straightfoward. First, make sure the bike is off at the display. Battery in is ok, but bike powered off is important.

Next, there is a small side plate on the opposite side from the chain/drive side. Two hex screws hold it in place. Once removed, it's possible to fish out the white plastic connector tucked inside. I found it easier to set the bike upside down and remove the metal strike plate below the motor for easier access, which has 4 hex screws. The trickiest part is that the white connector is wrapped in a rubbery gray heat-shrink to protect it from weather.
To remove it, cut the heat-shrink with small scissors or blade and peel back until it comes free. Use caution not to damage the connector itself. Once the connector is uncovered, it's easy to plug in the Bluetooth module until it clicks. Tuck it inside the frame, reattach the protecting plate, and done.

View attachment 84845 View attachment 84846 View attachment 84848 View attachment 84850

I haven't seen the mission control app for Specialized Turbo Levo bikes, but I imagine this provides similar functionality. Look up BMZ Connect in Android or Apple Appstore and download to your phone. Launch the app while the bike is on and it will look for new "vehicles". Pick your bike from the results and pairing should happen smoothly. Once your phone is paired, it checks the firmware version and allows you to update to the latest. Mine was done in less than a minute. That's the best part of having the module is being able to do self-service firmware updates without having to wait for servicing at your local shop. It also gives a dashboard view with more info than the Bloks display, like current (amps) and motor temp. It offers a map navigation view as well. Lastly, you can use the app to tweak the assist levels of the 4 PAS modes as a percentage, where the default is 15%, 25%, 50% and 100%.

I enjoyed the ease of install and convenience of the bluetooth module, and I think this kind of thing should come standard on all ebikes in the future. Note that you have to register an account with BMZ to use the app. It also asks for access to your location for the mapping features. Not sure if that gets sent back to BMZ or not, but you can always disable location for that app specifically if it's a concern. Fingers crossed that BMZ will someday offer an equivalent to the Bosch EMTB mode, where it automatically switches between low and high PAS modes. If you do have to get your bike serviced at a shop, they probably use the same port for diagnostics, so check afterwards using your app to make sure the module was reinstalled. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the rundown and the great analysis. Have you been able to use the Bulls eBike app here in the USA? I've tried but it doesn't recognize the serial number from my EVO AM4.

Thanks for the rundown and the great analysis. Have you been able to use the Bulls eBike app here in the USA? I've tried but it doesn't recognize the serial number from my EVO AM4.
Have you had any success with the "Bulls Connected" App ?
Try the BMZ one, "BMZ Connect C" App

Yanek

Have you had any success with the "Bulls Connected" App ?
Try the BMZ one, "BMZ Connect C" App

Yanek
I have not been able to get the Bulls eBike app to recognize my bike's serial number. The BMZ Connect app works great, and does pretty much everything I need it to, so I'm not overly worried about it.

The app lets you pick a destination, and then it will display timing and distance stats about that destination. It does not estimate remaining range or time based on charge. I think the Bloks display gives range estimate.
I tried both, neither the BMZ Connect App. nor the BULLS Connected App will not allow you run the App's until you login and connect to a valid Blue-Tooth bike connection.

Yanek

JukyD said:
" Fingers crossed that BMZ will someday offer an equivalent to the Bosch EMTB mode, where it automatically switches between low and high PAS modes."

Guess what Brose, Bulls does have a available a "EMTB mode", called "Flex Mode", but only available so far with the Brose S Motors.
I have a Brose T, in my Bulls EVO E-Stream 3 29'er.

Here's some links..

Info and Link found.. on the Subject..

Hi folks,
my dealer attended the Brose training course and the Flex Power Mode was explained as follows:
The new “Flex Power Mode = FPM” driving mode is only available exclusively for Drive S Mag and is always automatically activated at the highest support level !
You can switch to a combination of torque and speed-controlled support. This happens through the combination of two software functions (speed-controlled support and pedal-dependent support).

In short: In higher cadences (from 60 rpm), it is more difficult to generate more torque, so the Flex-Power-Mode is very helpful -> not only torque-dependent support but also the cadence is included with FPM ( Speed-controlled support).

Advantages of Flex Power Mode should be:
  • quick responsiveness (ideal for technical climbing)
  • Up to 30 percent more power can be called up at high cadences
  • an even faster and more sensitive response thanks to the pedal-dependent support
In comparison, the EMTB mode at Bosch is the same as in the car, the automatic transmission -> automatically shifts up the U-stages if the driver does enough of his own work.

Worried about noise? Forget it! The LACUBA EVO LITE is one of the most silent and graceful bikes on the market with its Gates Carbon Belt Drive which replaces the traditional bike chain for a quieter, smoother and lower maintenance experience for everyday riders. Worried about range? Forget it! The bike is powered by BULLS’ proprietary Supercore® battery technology, a 750Wh battery that provides an unmatched 150-mile optimal range, providing commuters and touring buffs confidence to go longer distances without worrying about running out of juice. Worried about hills? Forget it! The Supercore battery is paired with the Brose Drive S Mag(eMTB motor) which utilizes optimization software to provide the added muscle of up to 410 percent assistance. The ultra-silent Brose Drive S Mag also comes with the new Flex Power. Mode featuring Cadence Power Control and Progressive Pedal Response, which combine to provide added support for an easier ride during times of otherwise strenuous pedaling.

from article.

Also the Review of Brose S-Mag mentions it as well..

Hoping they will update the other Brose motors with similar emtb mode features !
As I demo'd many e-Mountain Bikes, with Shimano, Bosch with emtb mode, but chose Brose, because I preferred the gearing,
but I am still missing the benefit Bosch "emtb Mode".

Sometimes very distracting to change Assist Level Modes while biking, as well will wear out the Bloks 14D buttons much sooner with all this
mode changes with frequent changes in terrain.

hmmm, I have a Mag-S on my Bulls, and the new display I recently installed as a warranty replacement has a "bluetooth" function. Maybe I need to investigate that?

D512E9E7-7671-4AFD-80DFA0B84B8372A0-zoom.jpg

Flex Mode sounds very interesting, how do you know if your firmware has it? I too could not get the Bulls Connected app to recognize my serial number.

hmmm, I have a Mag-S on my Bulls, and the new display I recently installed as a warranty replacement has a "bluetooth" function. Maybe I need to investigate that?

D512E9E7-7671-4AFD-80DFA0B84B8372A0-zoom.jpg
Interesting !
What Display did you have before ? Was it a Bloks 14D ?
Did you ever get the Bluetooth connected to any app ?
What Bulls bike do you have ?

Like to upgrade mine.

Thanks,

Yanek

Interesting !
What Display did you have before ? Was it a Bloks 14D ?
Did you ever get the Bluetooth connected to any app ?
What Bulls bike do you have ?

Like to upgrade mine.

Thanks,

Yanek

I have a 2020 E-Stream Evo AM3. The original display was kind of a clunky thing with blocks that lit up to indicate power and battery life. It was damaged when received, so the dealer sent me the one above as a replacement. So much better. It allows you to custom tailor each power setting to your own preference. I've found Eco at 100%, Tour at 100%, Sport at 80%, and boost at 100% to be about right for me.

I messed around with the bluetooth option today, and it said it connected to my phone, but I don't have any apps installed, so it didn't do anything. Guess I need to find out which app Brose wants people to use, or maybe they don't? Maybe it's a dealer service plug-in of some sort? I'm not really highly motivated to mess with it, as everything works well as-is.

I have a 2020 E-Stream Evo AM3. The original display was kind of a clunky thing with blocks that lit up to indicate power and battery life. It was damaged when received, so the dealer sent me the one above as a replacement. So much better. It allows you to custom tailor each power setting to your own preference. I've found Eco at 100%, Tour at 100%, Sport at 80%, and boost at 100% to be about right for me.

I messed around with the bluetooth option today, and it said it connected to my phone, but I don't have any apps installed, so it didn't do anything. Guess I need to find out which app Brose wants people to use, or maybe they don't? Maybe it's a dealer service plug-in of some sort? I'm not really highly motivated to mess with it, as everything works well as-is.
Looked it up your
2020 E-Stream Evo AM3 came originally with a Bloks 14D.

The same as my Display on a Bulls EVO Estream 3 29er (2017) 3 years now.
No info out there on Compatibility or Upgrades that new Display may work with my Bike. Will look into it ! :)

Class: Class-1
Motor: Brose Drive S mag 250W
Battery: Supercore 750 Wh 37 V / 20 Ah
Display: Bloks 14D

Any update on this? I’d love to have the ability to do my own firmware updating vs taking it 1.5 hours each way to a shop. Thanks!

Back