Bike discussion for ME's

larry-new

Or those like me who are engineering oriented.

Who do we thank for the bicycle?

Given that we don't know who invented the wheel, after that, I'd propose Archimedes., inventor of the screw.

I awoke this morning marvelling at the sheer number of threaded fasteners on a bicycle, starting with (in my case) 72 spoke nipples and expanding from there. No wonder maintenance is so important!

Or those like me who are engineering oriented.

Who do we thank for the bicycle?

Given that we don't know who invented the wheel, after that, I'd propose Archimedes., inventor of the screw.

I awoke this morning marvelling at the sheer number of threaded fasteners on a bicycle, starting with (in my case) 72 spoke nipples and expanding from there. No wonder maintenance is so important!
Sorry, but if that's what you marvel about, you need help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kemp_Starley
sold the first commercially successful "safety bicycle" in 1885, the rover. see the wikipedia article for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_bicycle for theoretical anticedents.
Being 68" with a 29" pant leg, I can't imagine riding one of those high wheel behemoths of the 1870's. Age 68 I go down to middle gear 1, 42:28 just to get out of the ramp from the bank to the grocery store.
I'm a physicist, sorry.

No shame in physics...?

The bike was once described as the strongest of all vehicles in terms of capacity/weight. What interested me is just how screwed together it is.

Manufacturers have taken 2/3 of the weight out comparing Mother's 1946 model, and a carbon fiber glued together modern marvel. even the discount store MTB is 1/2 or less the weight if a 1946 model, due to advances in quality control of the steel and better control of the welding. 1946 steel was subject to inclusions of large chunks of carbon or slag, so the steel had to be thicker. And welds: - my 1956 sears 20" bike broke at the frame-stem weld and lacerated my belly. No manufacturer would dare sell such a product in todays litigous society.
Steel in tension is the strongest use of the metal, and spokes are pure tension devices. very high weight to carrying capacity ratio. Odd the best device to screw the spokes in are brass.

Another thought yesterday...somebody took the threaded screw and used it to produce tension, which is what makes the spoked wheel work...without that, it would fall apart. Brass is used because it acts like a lubricated fitting, even when dry.

Another thought yesterday...somebody took the threaded screw and used it to produce tension, which is what makes the spoked wheel work...without that, it would fall apart. Brass is used because it acts like a lubricated fitting, even when dry.
They figured out wheel construction with wood. Wood shrinks and swells from season to season. They had to figure out how to use tapered joinery, and a compression band of steel when they really started to carry some weight. I'd read that the Conestoga wagons really quieted down after crossing a creek and the wood swelled. Also many of the first cars and bicycles had wood in the wheels as well. I have an engineering background with 30 years (now retired) at Caterpillar Inc., plus worked with wood all my life. If you want to marvel at engineering, look at the Caterpillar 797F off highway mining truck. It takes 12-13 semi loads of sub assemblies to deliver the truck to a mining facility where it then goes through final assembly. They can haul just over 360 tons of material, with a pair of 12 cylinder diesel engines grossing over 3,400hp.

On view at the Caterpillar Visitor Center in Peoria.

Attachments

• cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    459.6 KB · Views: 445
I think Larry New would be more fascinated by a screw machine (lathe) that used to spit out screws 3 or 4 a minute, before all that process was moved overseas. I was privileged to see a half dozen at work in a machine shop in Houston when we still made things that could be shipped in one container. I loaded the numeric control mills in the next room one summer month in 1969.

On view at the Caterpillar Visitor Center in Peoria.
Have you been there harryS? The bed of that display is a theater. I was a model maker in the Industrial Design department when that was being made. I was brought in to consult with the company making that display. Very little steel in that display, except for the structural steel used to build it. It's really like a movie prop.

PE ME here. I've been building bikes since 1983, and been serious building and tinkering not including my pre-teen years. Here's my most recent build, a 21.4# full suspension XC mountain bike. The frame just came in yesterday. I'm working on it right now. I love them, I'm passionate about them.

IMG_20181023_084317_508.jpg

I also attached a shot of a stromer ST2s I've been customizing into a light weight racer. It'll be LEGAL Class 3, light, accelerate like no body's business and have good range, safe and reliable. It has a light weight battery, fender delete, rack delete, kickstand delete, carbon fiber seatpost + seat + bars, tubeless, minimalist front light, relocated rear brake light, eggbeaters, silicone grips... all with that awesome stromer hub motor, Di2 shifting (snap !), carbon fiber fork and excellent quality. I can't wait to fly this one.
44287379_10216086556504125_6213823323663499264_o.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181023_084317_508.jpg
    IMG_20181023_084317_508.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 429
Last edited:
PE ME here. I've been building bikes since 1983, and been serious building and tinkering not including my pre-teen years. Here's my most recent build, a 21.4# full suspension XC mountain bike. The frame just came in yesterday. I'm working on it right now. I love them, I'm passionate about them.

View attachment 26698

I also attached a shot of a stromer ST2s I've been customizing into a light weight racer. It'll be LEGAL Class 3, light, accelerate like no body's business and have good range, safe and reliable. It has a light weight battery, fender delete, carbon fiber seatpost-seat-bars, tubeless, minimalist front light, relocated rear brake light, eggbeaters, silicone grips, but all with that awesome stromer hub motor, carbon fiber fork and excellent quality. I can't wait to fly this one.View attachment 26695

Awesome!

I'm an EE and sometimes have similar thoughts when riding in an automobile. Henry Ford would be amazed at the complex array of electrical / mechanical devices at work.

I was a senior strategic buyer for Motorola and was amazed at the operating design parameters for anything automotive.

The bicycle will outlast the automobile.

Back