Thoughts Of An Experienced E-Biker

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone thinks a heavy e-bike with cheap suspension is that comfortable, let them go on a group ride with gravel cyclists in the forest. These guys ride lightweight bikes (like, 20 lbs), no suspension, proper bike geometry/vertical compliance, low pressure 1.5-1.75" tyres. It is fun to see them zooming at 15-20 mph through the rough terrain while a rider of a heavy, poorly suspended e-bike is left in the dust...
Don't know what suspension you refer to. Mine works great, both front and center. And, yea, I'd say with 1000 watts I won't be getting left behind by anyone. I'll walk right past those bikes on the hills and easily maintain that 15-20 mph all day and be well rested at the end. I somtimes ride gravel trails and my balloon tires hook real good. Not bragging, just stating a fact. I live in hill country and climb many steep streets with assist. You're claims don't impress, sorry. These "heavy" bikes work just fine if the power output is right. Mine is. Time to get past the who's got the best, biggest fastest bs and just be happy with what ya got. Trying to belittle other bike types is ignorant and immature. Nobody cares about showing how many bikes you own or what you paid. It means nothing. Some people build a bike for comfort and some don't. Some pay a lot, some don't feel the need.

If someone thinks a heavy e-bike with cheap suspension is that comfortable, let them go on a group ride with gravel cyclists in the forest. These guys ride lightweight bikes (like, 20 lbs), no suspension, proper bike geometry/vertical compliance, low pressure 1.5-1.75" tyres. It is fun to see them zooming at 15-20 mph through the rough terrain while a rider of a heavy, poorly suspended e-bike is left in the dust...
Your major malfunction is that you speak in absolutes.
Just because suspension is designed to provide stability over rough terrain does not exclude it from providing some level of comfort.
Just because your gravel cyclist friends can achieve a certain level of performance on their bikes doesn't mean another type of bike can not nor does it mean that other types of cyclists have a need or desire to match that performance to enjoy riding.
Most of us are not measuring enjoyment with statistics.

Last edited:
Your major malfunction is that you speak in absolutes.
Just because suspension is designed to provide stability over rough terrain does not exclude it from providing some level of comfort.
Just because your gravel cyclist friends can achieve a certain level of efficiency on their bikes doesn't mean another type of bike can not nor does it mean that other types of cyclists have a need or desire to match that efficiency to enjoy riding.
Most of us are not measuring enjoyment with statistics.
Correct. My bike is/was a mtb. But, I knew when I bought it I wanted to convert it into a super comfortable cruiser type bike. I wanted the suspension and extra power the mtb offered over a typical street cruiser. Adding Schwalbe lined tires, a riser with Jones Hbar, and center suspension has given me a great ride that can tackle all the steep streets around me. At 6ft, 250, + 70lbs. of bike, I need the extra power to climb hills. Be nice to have more then 7 gears, but it doesn't, so it takes battery and legs to climb steep terraine. And good suspension to keep it smooth over bad road.

Just because your gravel cyclist friends can achieve a certain level of efficiency on their bikes
They typically ride for more than 100 km on a single ride, with 200+ (single day) or 500 km (three days) on a race not being rare. Do you think they could do that if they felt uncomfortable?
Don't know what suspension you refer to. Mine works great, both front and center. And, yea, I'd say with 1000 watts I won't be getting left behind by anyone.
I tried that on a FS e-MTB and again I was the last on the ride. It is not the matter of the suspension or the motor power. It is a technical ride, requiring an agile bike that can easily steer between any obstacles such as deep potholes or sand patches. You think you would just ride ahead in the straight line (like a heavy motorcycle) while they would be manoeuvring? How wrong. Now, meet a fallen tree or a dilapidated footbridge on your way and try to lift/carry your monster e-bike over such an obstacle... :D

Correct. My bike is/was a mtb. But, I knew when I bought it I wanted to convert it into a super comfortable cruiser type bike. I wanted the suspension and extra power the mtb offered over a typical street cruiser. Adding Schwalbe lined tires, a riser with Jones Hbar, and center suspension has given me a great ride that can tackle all the steep streets around me. At 6ft, 250, + 70lbs. of bike, I need the extra power to climb hills. Be nice to have more then 7 gears, but it doesn't, so it takes battery and legs to climb steep terraine. And good suspension to keep it smooth over bad road.
More importantly I can tell that your preference is enjoyment, not gathering statistics.

They typically ride for more than 100 km on a single ride, with 200+ (single day) or 500 km (three days) on a race not being rare. Do you think they could do that if they felt uncomfortable?

I tried that on a FS e-MTB and again I was the last on the ride. It is not the matter of the suspension or the motor power. It is a technical ride, requiring an agile bike that can easily steer between any obstacles such as deep potholes or sand patches. You think you would just ride ahead in the straight line (like a heavy motorcycle) while they would be manoeuvring? How wrong. Now, meet a fallen tree or a dilapidated footbridge on your way and try to lift/carry your monster e-bike over such an obstacle... :D
Who said that they were uncomfortable?
I'd also bet that they are young, lean and without ailment or disabilities

Last edited by a moderator:

I've already done all that. I can take that bike anywhere any other ebike will go. The extra weight is not a problem. There is no terraine that any bike you or you're friends have that I can't keep up with. I don't ride in " straight lines" My bike turns real easy. It's not like you're racing down steep dirt mountain trails on specialized mountain bikes. I don't think you will be making 50ft jumps off cliffs or jumping logs etc. So, why would you think dodging potholes or sand pits would be a problem? Hell man, that's a normal ride! Most ebikers see that kind of "obstacle" as normal when riding on dirt trails in the country. No big deal. You must think all bike riders in this country ride on nice smooth flatland, with no obstacles, potholes, or torn up road. We don't. We have trails of gravel, dirt, blacktop with roots coming through, and city streets that are rough enough to snap a frame. And, this can be made much smoother and safer to ride with good suspension, which adds about 5 lbs. You can lose that much weight by riding the bike!

Who said that they were uncomfortable?
I'd also bet that they are young, lean and without ailment or disabilities
The man who was in the 10th place of a 230 km race is 57.

To contribute to the discussion on topic:
Of the two e-bikes I'm currently riding, the unsuspended 38 lb e-bike of 240 W peak power is actually more agile and comfortable than my 58 lb front suspension ride of 520 W peak power. I use the lightweight e-bike for group rides in demanding terrain, especially as it is easy to carry over any obstacles. The powerful e-bike is better in easy terrain when ridden with performing cyclists.

1676973635969.png

This is the kind of terrain where Rob could even win a 7 mile race...

1676973805067.png

...but I doubt he would survive there, or...

1676973949570.png

...could climb that hill with his 1000 W :) (You need to carry your bike through an access path to get onto that hill).

1676974085276.png

1000 W of motor power and a heavy e-bike does not help you there...

Wrong again. I can lift 70 lbs over fallen trees or across flooded streams. Did it last year. You just refuse to understand that just because a bike weighs 40 lbs more than the one you ride does not mean it has less capabilities. It doesn't. With the right rider and enough power, that extra weight is easily overcome. And yes, I do ride on gravel trails at times and I do ride in a bike club.

I arrived here coming down the hill in the background. After I schlepped the bike over this freaking thing it occurred to me the picture would be much better lit if I threw it back over again and took it from the sunny side. Nope, it’s in the shade!

Rise on the left side, rough and thorns all over the place on the right. But the very next day the Town trail people had it sectioned out and removed. The Parks department does a terrific job around here.

Wrong again. I can lift 70 lbs over fallen trees or across flooded streams. Did it last year. You just refuse to understand that just because a bike weighs 40 lbs more than the one you ride does not mean it has less capabilities. It doesn't. With the right rider and enough power, that extra weight is easily overcome. And yes, I do ride on gravel trails at times and I do ride in a bike club.

There is of course a point of diminished returns when it comes to price, but a good and well designed light weight bike handles better than an overweight bike and having more gears to choose from is more efficient and allows you to optimize you cadence. It is especially important if you end up having to pedal home unassisted.

Just because two bikes look similar does not make them equal. I think that the bikes that Harley offers are quite overpriced, but I doubt that your girlfriend got an equal bike for $800.00

You say that you have had this bike for three years. That in and of itself says nothing about durability. How many miles have you put on it in those three years? That’s what matters.

If you are happy with a 70 pound bike with 7 speeds, then that is good for you and there is no reason for you to pay more. There are others that desire a broader gear range and want better handling, smoother shifting and better braking. For many, the ebike is a primary form of transportation or recreation and if they can afford and want a lighter and more efficient bike, then why wouldn’t they pay more and get what they want? That doesn’t make them, as you said, suckers.

Lmfao wow-Some guys hit that midlife crisis a little late and feel a great need to impress to feel secure. Hopefully he makes it through without pissin off too many (more) people. Ebikes are for fun, not bragging rights or a tool to one-up others.

There is of course a point of diminished returns when it comes to price, but a good and well designed light weight bike handles better than an overweight bike and having more gears to choose from is more efficient and allows you to optimize you cadence. It is especially important if you end up having to pedal home unassisted.

Just because two bikes look similar does not make them equal. I think that the bikes that Harley offers are quite overpriced, but I doubt that your girlfriend got an equal bike for $800.00

You say that you have had this bike for three years. That in and of itself says nothing about durability. How many miles have you put on it in those three years? That’s what matters.

If you are happy with a 70 pound bike with 7 speeds, then that is good for you and there is no reason for you to pay more. There are others that desire a broader gear range and want better handling, smoother shifting and better braking. For many, the ebike is a primary form of transportation or recreation and if they can afford and want a lighter and more efficient bike, then why wouldn’t they pay more and gcet what they want? That doesn’t make them, as you said, suckers.
What I hate is the constant barrage of mine is better then you'rs crap. Would I like more gears? Sure, but it's just not required with a 1000 watt bike. Not unless I plan on moving to San Francisco and live on a 37% grade. Point being, many of us are very happy with the sub $2000.00 ebikes we have. Some just can't stand to hear that as they have overpaid for the bike they bought. My bike runs great, no mechanicals at all, and if and when it needs new parts, I'm more then happy to get them. I have a LBS that works on all brand ebikes and has good rates. So, it's time to put all this doom and gloom, sky is falling on you're ebike cuz ya didn't spend enough, nonsense to bed. These so-called "budget bikes" are built a lot tougher than you think. Go enjoy that bike and stop with the frigging better then thou. It's not productive. If I lived in a warm winter climate and rode year around, I would get a bike with more gears, but not with less power. Too each their own.

Some just can't stand to hear that as they have overpaid for the bike they bought.
That’s just wrong. If I were fully able I’d own an eBike without a throttle. A Zen would be my first choice, but I really like the Trek Electra models. You’ve insulted those motor owners too. I have no heed for the complexities you consider important. What is most irritating are your assumptions. no one else rode or rides as much as you. Dude, please. I road more miles on my 1970 Campy Paramount and Vent Noir acoustics in one year than you amassed in a year. Silly fool I was, claiming I’d never own a cage. And for 3 years living in a climate much colder than yours I didn’t. Those years were cageless. See ups were a total adventure mid winter. Pretty silly of me and naive. But some of that stays with me. And I have come to respect ALL choices. Willing to help anyone sort their poor choice. And unlike you will help anyone. Electric and two wheels could make a serious improvement in climate.

Last edited:
FWIW this forum has the more interesting and helpful members than any other. Posters far more knowledgeable than I that give hours of help weekly. There’s the difference. I know I earned the patch that you won’t own up to.

I made mistakes but from here forward won’t make them again. I like eBikes and their riders. Period. So let’s just stop. Please. Use your ignore. Please. I’ll do the same. I’ll never understand why someone more fortunate financially finds pleasure in demeaning others choices. That’s my lesson and my failure. I’d rather support someone with a bike shaped object than a snot on a bike many can’t afford. Thanks for the lesson. You’ve helped me see how I failed as a human and poster here.

Last edited:
I'm not really an experienced ebiker I must admit. I managed to mess up a perfectly good running ebike. An experience ebiker should be capable of performing simple fixes like replacing gears in a Bafang M620 motor that probably didn't even need to be changed out.
I received an invoice for the new motor that I ordered over the weekend and shockingly it wasn't too much, what shocked me was the $200 shipping costs this motor better be shipped by plane so I can get Da Ridiculous Bike back on the trails again.

"...Seems to me that because most ebike purchases are made by men 40÷..."
On what do you base this declaration that most ebikes are bought by men? It may be true, but do you have any actual proof/data? And how is it relevant, the gender of the rider/purchaser, to this discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back