Thoughts Of An Experienced E-Biker

Status
Not open for further replies.
or they choose to live places where the weather won't kill you a fair percentage of the time. :D

pros and cons, no doubt. but safe to say a lot of people use their bikes far more than you do, prefer to drive far less, and as such need to know the bike is reliable and well supported. i'm not saying any particular bike is or isn't, just that in general the very inexpensive eBikes do not seem to be built to last.
I disagree with a lot of that. The vast majority of bike and/or ebike owners in this country park their bikes in the wintertime. Because the vast majority of people don't live in warm winter climates. At the most you will see a few bikes out on the roads in the winter, but very few. Just take a ride in 30s or 40 degree weather and tell me how many bikes you see. Hardly any. This idea that a bike that sells for less then 2 grand will fall apart fast is nothing more than a sales pitch thrown out there to reel in the fish with the deep pockets. I ride with a bike club with ebikes. Some expensive, some not. I see nobody with the less expensive ebike complain about breakdowns or having any more mechanical problems than any others. These bikes are well built and when a part needs replaced, it's no big deal. As for a company going out of business, that can happen to any bike maker. In the end, a well made, less expensive, ebike can be good for many years if it's well maintained like any other vehicle. You just have to shop smart and take care of you're ride.

In general, a high end bike tends to be lighter, better engineered, have a better ride quality, better handling, higher resale value, better components, better warranty and better customer support. If none of that matters to you, then a low end bike would be the better choice, but that doesn’t mean that owning a high end bike makes it’s owner a sucker.

Regarding riding in the winter, that’s a personal choice and partly a matter of intestinal fortitude. There is a special feeling that some get by overcoming adversity. Dressing correctly, having the right equipment and a sense of adventure makes cycling a four season activity.

I have participated in activities that were uncomfortable. It builds character and is fulfilling. Comfort is overrated. Adventure and accomplishment are rarely if ever comfortable.

My exercise is also free. We have an exercise room here at my apartments. No driving to get there. I get much more exercise and a better workout using the treadmill than my bike. But, I didn't buy a motorized bike for major exercise or as my primary mode of transportation. It's for fun and moderate exercise on nice days. I grew up in San Francisco and got plenty of biking exercise on those hills when I was young. Had a paper route that about killed me. Wish I had my ebike then. But then, they were not yet invented.
but its time. I get my exercise will commuting so I have more time. I don't have to spend time exercising as I get that while getting to work and back. thats how I can ride so much without it taking more time in the day. thats the biggest thing time. for me I enjoy riding. Get exercise doing it it save me time and best of all it costs far less then driving does.

Blue skies forever,I love riding along smelling the various scents and looking at old homesteads and imagining what some the scents mean, last summer during a hot period I hit a stretch of woods that smelled like hot iron, it struck a chord with me,I call that stretch"oh the Humanity".
lol, and the smell of wood burning in fireplaces during night rides is also nice.

In general, a high end bike tends to be lighter, better engineered, have a better ride quality, better handling, higher resale value, better components, better warranty and better customer support. If none of that matters to you, then a low end bike would be the better choice, but that doesn’t mean that owning a high end bike makes it’s owner a sucker.

Regarding riding in the winter, that’s a personal choice and partly a matter of intestinal fortitude. There is a special feeling that some get by overcoming adversity. Dressing correctly, having the right equipment and a sense of adventure makes cycling a four season activity.

I have participated in activities that were uncomfortable. It builds character and is fulfilling. Comfort is overrated. Adventure and accomplishment is rarely if ever comfortable.
here the coldest this year was 23 degrees. hands and feet get cold but the rides are short enough its not an issue.

but its time. I get my exercise will commuting so I have more time. I don't have to spend time exercising as I get that while getting to work and back. thats how I can ride so much without it taking more time in the day. thats the biggest thing time. for me I enjoy riding. Get exercise doing it it save me time and best of all it costs far less then driving does.
Than for you that's perfect. For me, time is not a factor. I'm retired and I have all the time I need to exercise. I'm done commuting or driving my big rig through rush hour traffic. Once you retire you may change that program as you will no longer have to make that cold ride every day. You may discover that riding in the winter is no longer fun. You might park the bike in winter and join a health club. Things change as we age. Never say never.

Than for you that's perfect. For me, time is not a factor. I'm retired and I have all the time I need to exercise. I'm done commuting or driving my big rig through rush hour traffic. Once you retire you may change that program as you will no longer have to make that cold ride every day. You may discover that riding in the winter is no longer fun. You might park the bike in winter and join a health club. Things change as we age. Never say never.
when I cant ride anymore I will be done. it keeps me alive. I doubt I will retire I cant afford it.

I disagree with a lot of that. The vast majority of bike and/or ebike owners in this country park their bikes in the wintertime. Because the vast majority of people don't live in warm winter climates. At the most you will see a few bikes out on the roads in the winter, but very few. Just take a ride in 30s or 40 degree weather and tell me how many bikes you see. Hardly any. This idea that a bike that sells for less then 2 grand will fall apart fast is nothing more than a sales pitch thrown out there to reel in the fish with the deep pockets. I ride with a bike club with ebikes. Some expensive, some not. I see nobody with the less expensive ebike complain about breakdowns or having any more mechanical problems than any others. These bikes are well built and when a part needs replaced, it's no big deal. As for a company going out of business, that can happen to any bike maker. In the end, a well made, less expensive, ebike can be good for many years if it's well maintained like any other vehicle. You just have to shop smart and take care of you're ride.

i don't think there is any statistic to back up your claim there about the wintertime. 50% of the population lives in the sun belt, which accounted for the vast majority of population growth in the last twenty years, and will absolutely continue to do so for the next 20 barring some sort of massing geopolitical shift. the majority of the population already lives in places with relatively mild winters. note that this doesn't even include high-bike-ratio places like portland, boise, seattle, etc.

is it a lot of fun to ride a bike in the snow on the way to work? absolutely not. is weather something that justifies considering a bike a summer-only toy, unsuited for year-round use by "the vast majority?" no. that's just you extending your personal circumstance to the rest of the country. i never "park" my bike. i ride exactly the same amount all four seasons.

and even beyond that, it doesn't even track that snowy winters prohibit cycling. in helsinki, finland, 20% of all commutes to work and school are by bike. 58% of the population travels by bike at least once a week. yes, usage is lower in the winter, but it's still an order of magnitude more than in most of america's cities, temperate or cold. the way things are is not the way they have to be!

Capture.JPG

i don't think there is any statistic to back up your claim there about the wintertime. 50% of the population lives in the sun belt, which accounted for the vast majority of population growth in the last twenty years, and will absolutely continue to do so for the next 20 barring some sort of massing geopolitical shift. the majority of the population already lives in places with relatively mild winters. note that this doesn't even include high-bike-ratio places like portland, boise, seattle, etc.

is it a lot of fun to ride a bike in the snow on the way to work? absolutely not. is weather something that justifies considering a bike a summer-only toy, unsuited for year-round use by "the vast majority?" no. that's just you extending your personal circumstance to the rest of the country. i never "park" my bike. i ride exactly the same amount all four seasons.

and even beyond that, it doesn't even track that snowy winters prohibit cycling. in helsinki, finland, 20% of all commutes to work and school are by bike. 58% of the population travels by bike at least once a week. yes, usage is lower in the winter, but it's still an order of magnitude more than in most of america's cities, temperate or cold. the way things are is not the way they have to be!

View attachment 147350
I stand by what I said. The vast majority of bike owners don't ride in the winter. Most bring them out in the Spring. It's a no-brainer, look around you. If you live where's it's cold right now, take a ride and count the bikes out there. Not many. Same with motorcycles. Cold weather sucks for biking. I've done it, not fun. Maybe some like to test their strength willpower or toughness. I think most people prefer the warm comfort of a car in winter. In fact I know they do! But hey, it's you're bike go when ya want. Me and my girlfriend like riding the trails at night. Most others don't.

the thinking here is bikes of any kinds are toys to be played with when it is nice out.
Not that they are toys but that they come with certain limitations as far as comfort goes. Same as motorcycles. Riding outdoors in foul weather is just not what most people choose to do. Unless they have to, most bikers won't ride in freezing rain, snow etc. You wouldn' stand outside in the freezing rain would you? Only if you had to. Will my bike work in freezing cold? Sure. Is freezing cold hard on bike batteries yes, it is. I'd say this discussion is played out.

I stand by what I said. The vast majority of bike owners don't ride in the winter. Most bring them out in the Spring. It's a no-brainer, look around you. If you live where's it's cold right now, take a ride and count the bikes out there. Not many. Same with motorcycles. Cold weather sucks for biking. I've done it, not fun. Maybe some like to test their strength willpower or toughness. I think most people prefer the warm comfort of a car in winter. In fact I know they do! But hey, it's you're bike go when ya want. Me and my girlfriend like riding the trails at night. Most others don't.
I realize that I’m in the minority and most who live in the sunbelt might feel that the words cycling and winter shouldn’t be used in the same sentence. Most of my winter rides occur when the temp hovers just above or below freezing. Quite comfortable and not aversive at all. In fact, at times it's just the opposite during full sun lit days. It also means that I have most of the paths/trails to myself. For me, it’s got nothing to do with toughness or fortitude but simply more to do with enjoying the invigorating outdoor air in pristine surroundings. That said, we should all be tolerant of where we ride regardless of the conditions or the season. I too look forward to the season changeover and riding on warmer days as you. As for riding the trails at night, I’m totally cool with that. 👍

GH010581 - frame at 0m11s.jpg

see I am comfortable riding my bike in winter. it takes the right clothes though. but unlike a motorcycle I am working so that keeps me warm sometimes even when its 30 I have to unzip my jacket too keep from overheating. yo can ride in the winter without freezing rain or snow. I am much warmer riding my bike than the bus. it takes me a lot more clothes to keep warm riding the bus then I roast while on the bus.

Last edited:

well, like i said - that's your personal experience. and no doubt the volume of bike trips goes down in the winter. but i guarantee you that there are far more bikes per capita around me than you, and they get ridden all year round! last i checked, the army of e-bike delivery people (the ones setting everything on fire lol) in NYC are out there in the winter. if i recall from another thread, you spent time as a kid in the bay area, it rains, what, one in twenty daylight hours or something? 65 out of 365 days, often at night, often for only a few hours and then nothing. hardly an impediment for most bike trips year round... and places further south and central are even drier/warmer.

well, like i said - that's your personal experience. and no doubt the volume of bike trips goes down in the winter. but i guarantee you that there are far more bikes per capita around me than you, and they get ridden all year round! last i checked, the army of e-bike delivery people (the ones setting everything on fire lol) in NYC are out there in the winter. if i recall from another thread, you spent time as a kid in the bay area, it rains, what, one in twenty daylight hours or something? 65 out of 365 days, often at night, often for only a few hours and then nothing. hardly an impediment for most bike trips year round... and places further south and central are even drier/warmer.
Riding in the Bay Area in winter would be no problem at all. I moved 1000 miles from there in the 70s. I'm talking Northern climes.

Riding in the Bay Area in winter would be no problem at all. I moved 1000 miles from there in the 70s. I'm talking Northern climes.
agreed that riding in sub zero temps and snow is not conducive to the daily commute! but most americans don’t live in a place that has such winters. my hope is that the eBikes can really make a dent in how much most americans drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back