Best Wireless Earbuds for Ebikes

this is a great little usb rechargeable bluetooth speaker with decent sound, wired remote, includes a bottle cage and a good handlebar mount and a nice loud horn for under $40 on ebay. I've ridden many a mile with one of these...great bang for the buck

sorry for going a little off topic, but I see people on bike trail with earbuds, listening to music or on the phone all the time..

isn't it a bit dangerous though?

I know that we all listen to music while driving too, so I don't know the difference, but for some reason, listening to music while riding an ebike or motorcycle seems a little bit more dangerous, I don't know why.
That pretty well says it for me too. My evidence is the people riding or walking down the middle or wrong side of the trail with earbuds who don't hear my bell or "on your left (or right)". Of course I slow way down but I'm thinking this is a bike path, ya kinda need to be aware of your surroundings.

TT

Aftershox Air bone conduction. They sit in front of your ears. The sound is decent and you can still hear everything around you.
I bought them to use when I go inline skating. I plan on using them to ride also.

Interesting design... what model do you have?

So at the risk of bumping a controversial thread - because I am such a quiet and unopinionated guy :p - I have been using a pair of Jabra Elite 65t with the "Hear Through" feature for a while now, and I have to give them a thumbs up. To the point that I think I will try the 85t soon as the wind cancelling and variable ANC is supposedly next level. Anyone else try them yet?

I find that the hear-through at low speeds is great, and I can hear everything I need to in traffic and the city. The wind noise on the 65T can pick up at speed and be a nuisance, but a quick tap of the side button changes the mode to isolation once you get up to speed or away from traffic. I reserve that for the rural trails and dedicated bike lanes, with the exception of highway medians where the traffic noise (combined with wind noise at higher speeds) is actually potentially damaging, so the noise cancellation is useful.

And as a follow up, I also have a set of power beats that I bought thinking the ear hooks would be good for the bike, but they stick too proud of my ears and generate a lot of wind noise. The ear bud doesn't seal as well either, which allows a lot of ambient sound and great music quality, but not enough isolation or hearing protection when needed.

Wind noise while listening to music (while cycling) is a real pain.
I've ridden with the 'insert in the ear' earbuds, that block out all the external noise and have a pair of Jabra Elite 65ts and Aftershok bone conductors that let you know what's going on around you.
I much prefer the 'let you know what's going on around you' setup, but anything over 25kph creates too much wind noise.
Personally, I won't be buying the new Jabras for two reasons: first, after two years of ownership (one year really, since my original pair was replaced under warranty) the battery is failing. The most I can get out of a charge is a couple of hours. Second, I must have unusual ears, as I can not, for the life of me, get the 65ts to stay in my ears. I use them during the winter months, when I'm wearing a thin torque to keep them in place, and they work fine.
There's no way Jabra is getting any more of my money.
On the other hand, I love my Aftershoks. The two downsides to these bone conductors is the lack of volume and that anything over 18 mph creates too much wind noise. On the other hand, I do use them while working outside (we live on 2.5 acres) and they work great. I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat.

These fuzzy "Cat Ear" wind noise reducers are quite effective at reducing wind noise by at least 50%. I don't leave home without them. Helmet strap tension needs to be comfortable but snug enough to hold them firmly against your cheeks and jaw to work most effectively.

51u1+-3PTNL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

These fuzzy "Cat Ear" wind noise reducers are quite effective at reducing wind noise by at least 50%. I don't leave home without them. Helmet strap tension needs to be comfortable but snug enough to hold them firmly against your cheeks and jaw to work most effectively.

View attachment 86917
I tried them they maybe helped a little but to enough to really do much.

I've never found any wireless earbuds that I could stand nor would any stay securely in my ears. I use a blue tooth 'yoke' that sits around my neck and on my shoulders and has wired ear buds. Been using these for years. It's comfortable. Never falls off nor do the ear buds and the sound reproduction is very good. The yoke has a mic so I can talk on the phone with it and the people on the other end of the conversation do not report inadequate sound reproduction as often occurs with using speaker phone. 👍 👍👍

An added benefit is that if I have to interrupt whatever is being played in my ears to speak with a person I just pull the bud or buds and they are securely contained at the front of my shirt. I'm a talk radio and audio book addict and have these things in my ears all day every day.

I've never found any wireless earbuds that I could stand nor would any stay securely in my ears. I use a blue tooth 'yoke' that sits around my neck and on my shoulders and has wired ear buds. Been using these for years. It's comfortable. Never falls off nor do the ear buds and the sound reproduction is very good. The yoke has a mic so I can talk on the phone with it and the people on the other end of the conversation do not report inadequate sound reproduction as often occurs with using speaker phone. 👍 👍👍

An added benefit is that if I have to interrupt whatever is being played in my ears to speak with a person I just pull the bud or buds and they are securely contained at the front of my shirt. I'm a talk radio and audio book addict and have these things in my ears all day every day.
I had a set of LG Tone Pros for several years and loved them. I used them on my motorcycle too with a half-helmet in the hottest summer months. When they finally broke, I figured I'd try something else and bought the Power Beats, but they were a great option and served me very well. The power beats are great for walking around and on the boat, but just don't seem to get it done on the bicycle or motorcycle.

I had a set of LG Tone Pros for several years and loved them. I used them on my motorcycle too with a half-helmet in the hottest summer months. When they finally broke, I figured I'd try something else and tried the Power Beats, but they were a great option and served me very well.

Yes. My latest are by LG. Just called 'Tone'. The yoke is more pliable/flexible than my last set and I like that. Easily hangs outside my shirt collar. The previous pair lasted like three years but I cut off one of the buds while cutting my hair with my clippers. Damn Ronna. :)

Interesting design... what model do you have?
I've been using the Aftershokz Aeropex Mini. Same as the regular Aeropex but the band is .5" shorter so it sits closer to the head in the back. Works great for spoken word and route cues on rides. OK for music. I need to find an app that will adjust volume based on speed as its either too soft or too loud depending on my speed and what part of my commute I'm on. Luckily, it is surprisingly easy to adjust volume while riding once you develop a little muscle memory for it.

I have heard great things about the Aftershokz, one of my clients recommended them to me. Unfortunately, music is out of the question here, though I love music in my car, and it would be great to ride with music-- no judgment for those who choose to take the chance.

I just want to identify one problem because it's a very specific auditory and cognitive trap: Blind curves and electric cars = little or no audio warning.

It doesn't happen often, which almost makes it more dangerous because when you haven't had a close call in a few months, you start to unconsciously assume, "Ah, I've finally got this, my riding skill improves every day, and I have eliminated all possibility of collision." And you get careless.

But there it was just last night, rounded a curve at 20-23 MPH and there was some kind of electric land yacht barreling straight towards me at the same speed. Everyone did what they were supposed to do; I did lock up the rear wheel for maybe a second, but it slid to the outside, pointing my front wheel exactly where I needed to go. I released the brakes for another second, got way over to the right side of the road, applied the brakes again, and both vehicles stopped with 10-15 feet of clearance-- a bit closer than I would have liked, but acceptable.

I do not know whether I heard the car or saw it first, but if I'd been blasting punk rock when that happened, no matter what kind of headphones, that would have to eat up at least half a second of reaction time. For non-electric cars, during the day, it's usually my ears that warn me.

The weird thing: At twilight, with a good headlight, canyon riding is actually safer. That might actually be okay with music, because no one will forget to drive without headlights here, it's barely even possible.

My Jabras no longer work correctly , too many drops from falling out of my ears too. My favorite was some highend Sony’s that I guess aren’t sport designed and melted over a couple years, best sound quality and noise cancelation...and they weren’t completely wireless had the band around the neck, didn’t fall to the ground/floor when they fell out of the ears.

Next pair of true wireless I will add an aftermarket lanyard

Last edited:
Apple AirPods have worked the best for me. They have the speech through feature so I can hear traffic. A bit spendy though and like others, they tend to fall out a lot. Had to jury rig a lanyard to keep from losing them.

Back