Best Wireless Earbuds for Ebikes

With my Aftershoks on I can hear the music (at lower speeds), hear traffic, and keep up a conversation with other riders.
The mini version that fits closer to the skull looks interesting, as I can't use my Aftershoks during the colder months when I wear a thin torque under my helmet.

We use the Terrano XT, plus the fuzzy strap covers - works awesome up to 25mph, then the wind noise starts to kick in. The Terrano is nice as it sits outside the ears so can still hear ambient noise etc. without issue. As a comms unit they work well, but I also use it when riding alone for music, phone, and can do nav if needed etc.

Nancy and I ride together regularly using the Terrano XT system, a helmet mounted communication and bluetooth set up. When riding solo it is a perfect hands free bluetooth phone set up and is great for playing music off my phone as well. It even allows us to share music between both helmets It is nice to be able to converse easily and at a distance. The make an excellent system that installs on any helmet. It is a bluetooth communication system that allows us to clearly and easily talk while riding, up to 3/4 mile away. They connect easily to my phone, have very good sound but sit outside the ears so they allow ambient sounds in for better situational awareness and safety. the microphone has advance wind noise filtering. People say that cannot tell I am riding at 20 mph while talking on the phone. They are not inexpensive but are the best I have found and work as advertised. They are currently offering their products at a 25% discount if you use the code "25OFFSPRING". Highly recommended.

Richard or FezUSA, I have a question; with the dual kit (my wife and I) could only I listen to music (my wife doesn't like to ride and listen to music) and still use the intercom to talk to her (or her talk to me)?

Richard or FezUSA, I have a question; with the dual kit (my wife and I) could only I listen to music (my wife doesn't like to ride and listen to music) and still use the intercom to talk to her (or her talk to me)?
Yes. You could not enable music sharing, be listening and when she pushes the intercom button on her unit your music would stop and you would be chatting. It is a duplex system as well, meaning that you carry on a natural conversation that goes both ways concurrently, no need to say "over" and wait for a reply. Then phone also interrupts the music to take a call. Nancy and I normally ride with intercom on so we can just chat without pushing any buttons but I am not listening to music while that is enabled.

Yes. You could not enable music sharing, be listening and when she pushes the intercom button on her unit your music would stop and you would be chatting. It is a duplex system as well, meaning that you carry on a natural conversation that goes both ways concurrently, no need to say "over" and wait for a reply. Then phone also interrupts the music to take a call. Nancy and I normally ride with intercom on so we can just chat without pushing any buttons but I am not listening to music while that is enabled.
+1

IMO earbuds while cycling are dangerous because you can't hear vehicles or other cyclists around you. I prefer to use Bone Conduction Headphones.

I find that Aftershokz Aeropex to be very good for cycling, allowing me to hear music, and take calls without blocking outside sounds.

IMO earbuds while cycling are dangerous because you can't hear vehicles or other cyclists around you. I prefer to use Bone Conduction Headphones.

I find that Aftershokz Aeropex to be very good for cycling, allowing me to hear music, and take calls without blocking outside sounds.

I’m blessed with bad hearing. Blessed because the latest and greatest hearing aids stream from iOS devices. No loss of surrounding sounds while still streaming clear sound. 3500 bucks and Bobs yer uncle.

I’m blessed with bad hearing. Blessed because the latest and greatest hearing aids stream from iOS devices. No loss of surrounding sounds while still streaming clear sound. 3500 bucks and Bobs yer uncle.
If you want the best and have the money, professional electronic attenuating earplugs are in the same category for the normal consumer. Musicians use them, and you can get some really cool adaptive attenuation units, which are essentially good hearing aids tuned to normal hear-through levels, but help silence the peaks that come from persistent (music/machinery) or acute (shooting/etc.) noise. They usually start with a visit to an audiologist that specializes in them for fitting and exam, and then the sky is the limit - funds/insurance permitting. Like your hearing aids, they run in the many hundreds to several thousands of dollars. I started down that route, but found the features for recreational use weren't quite there yet like bluetooth app control/multi device integration. And I shuddered at spending $5K CAD and losing them. lol

Has anyone tried these Bluetooth headsets from Aftershokz:

They use bone conduction so they don't block sounds from reaching your ears. It's also a headset so it won't fall out of your ear. Reasonably priced at $80 to $160.

Has anyone tried these Bluetooth headsets from Aftershokz:

They use bone conduction so they don't block sounds from reaching your ears. It's also a headset so it won't fall out of your ear. Reasonably priced at $80 to $160.
The Aftershokz headset has been discussed in this thread. I bought one a year ago and have been very happy with its performance. The only downside is if you ride at higher speeds or ride in an area where there is a lot of traffic noise you won't be able to hear the music.
The headset, because it doesn't cover the ear canal, doesn't impact what you hear at all.

These fuzzy "Cat Ear" wind noise reducers are quite effective at reducing wind noise by at least 50%. I don't leave home without them. Helmet strap tension needs to be comfortable but snug enough to hold them firmly against your cheeks and jaw to work most effectively.

View attachment 86917
I got these about a month ago. It took a couple of rides to get used to them, but absolutely love them. They're especially good at getting rid of that deep rumbly frequency wind.

I've been considering AfterShokz, along with a Zello button, to eliminate walkie talkies on "in town" type rides. I'm not sure how the two would pair up, given that it looks like both the AfterShokz and Cat Ears want to sit in the same place.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but if anyone tries to ride with me and they go to put earbuds in, I tell them "ditch those things or we aren't riding." As a biker you need to be fully aware of your surroundings, because no one else will be doing that for you.
So best wireless earbuds for biking = no earbuds at all. Lol.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but if anyone tries to ride with me and they go to put earbuds in, I tell them "ditch those things or we aren't riding." As a biker you need to be fully aware of your surroundings, because no one else will be doing that for you.
Agreed - if we're riding together, no buds. But when I'm riding alone, and in the proper areas, i like my Anker buds and my audio books. Never so loud I can't hear what's going on around me, but i do wear them.

IMO earbuds while cycling are dangerous because you can't hear vehicles or other cyclists around you.

As a biker you need to be fully aware of your surroundings, because no one else will be doing that for you.

Agreed. I'm so surprised no one else mentioned this for the longest time since this thread started.

I'm constantly terrified that a biker I am trying to pass doesn't hear my bell because they would rather hear their selfish tunes instead of safety to themselves and others.

Earbuds/headphones are illegal to car drivers for this reason.

These fuzzy "Cat Ear" wind noise reducers are quite effective at reducing wind noise by at least 50%. I don't leave home without them. Helmet strap tension needs to be comfortable but snug enough to hold them firmly against your cheeks and jaw to work most effectively.

View attachment 86917

These look like a great idea for getting rid of wind noise. I am waiting for the Sena pi to be available. I think the two products will make a great combination and avoid putting anything in your ears so you can still hear traffic. As others have said no earbuds for group rides only for solo. I also take calls on my bike when commuting and I have been looking for some way to reduce wind noise.

Also was assuming it might go against attention for traffic,
but what I notice when using my headset (active noise control, JVC) is that it takes away the wind and general street sounds, while the unexpected sounds of traffic (cars, bells, traffic lights) are still coming through: so actually giving me more focus.
Also tested with Sony's earbuds (making more [wind] noise, because not aerodynamic in design) and bose 700 (blocking too much: settings not specific enough) made me realize it is pretty depending on the headset (and maybe even individual hearing).
Would not even want to test the ones with passive noise control: they just blocking everything: and certain i don't want that :)

I think it's worth noting that this isn't primarily about music. If you want some, your risk, your choice. But more importantly, if you are riding sustained routes above 20mph - which is more and more common among ebike riders - you are very likely causing long-term hearing damage.

As mentioned by several folks, there is enough amazing technology out there to provide a decent blend of active isolation and pass-through to not only protect your hearing in the long term, but potentially improve the awareness of those important sounds at the same time.

The only way technology improves is if we actually use it and encourage it to evolve to meet the needs. So I encourage the discussion. :)

I am thinking about buying the Shokz OpenComm bone conduction stereo Bluetooth headset. It looks like there has been a slight name change. They were AfterShokz and now they are simply Shokz. With them on sale today (last day of the week long sale), this might be a good time for me to buy. Anyway, are there any other competitors to these or does Shokz have the corner on the market at the moment?

Back