Wireless Earbuds for cycling

I currently use Sony wf-1000xm5 , like the older 4 better. I have interest in bone conduction style but need to try them before I switch. 1 of the reasons for the wanting to switch is last month when I had my poor hearing tested I was told by the audiolo that anc is bad for my ears. I thought since it was quieter i then play music quieter which i do...but the energy from ANC added to ear damage not helped it.

i use Cat ears to help with wind noise which does help but not enough, not sure how the bone conductor will work out

I've been riding with bone conductor headphones for almost three years and I can tell you that above 18-20mph they're near useless. The wind noise pretty much cancels out the music, or what ever else you're listening to.

I've been riding with bone conductor headphones for almost three years and I can tell you that above 18-20mph they're near useless. The wind noise pretty much cancels out the music, or what ever else you're listening to.
ya or traffic I found. it would have been a good tool.

I'd been wondering about that myself. ANC works by cancelation - which is playing some frequencies out of phase inside the earbud at equal amplitude as on the outside. However, it seems that levels would not be high enough to cause damage unless you're in a loud enough environment to cause damage without them.

Last edited:
I did not push her but it seemed that the anc adds to the total energy going into the ear even though the sound is lower…I would welcome more info from other experts

New open ear buds from Bose have just been released and are getting decent reviews I would like to try them ???

I did not push her but it seemed that the anc adds to the total energy going into the ear even though the sound is lower…I would welcome more info from other experts

New open ear buds from Bose have just been released and are getting decent reviews I would like to try them ???
I'm no expert but I've been using ANC headphones and ear buds for just over 10 years now. I have the Bose 700 and Bose Quiet Comfort 35 headphones, as well as the Apple AirPod Pro2 ear buds. I'm also concerned about possible hearing damage but so far, I've had no ill effects. I use them while operating machinery, since they work so much better than any other form of hearing protection I've tried.

I've done some web searching, and haven't found any credible reports about ANC being harmful. Headphones and ear buds do cause hearing damage but it's mostly from listening at too high a decibel level rather than from ANC. It's relatively new technology though so I suppose time will tell.

I'm no expert but I've been using ANC headphones and ear buds for just over 10 years now. I have the Bose 700 and Bose Quiet Comfort 35 headphones, as well as the Apple AirPod Pro2 ear buds. I'm also concerned about possible hearing damage but so far, I've had no ill effects. I use them while operating machinery, since they work so much better than any other form of hearing protection I've tried.

I've done some web searching, and haven't found any credible reports about ANC being harmful. Headphones and ear buds do cause hearing damage but it's mostly from listening at too high a decibel level rather than from ANC. It's relatively new technology though so I suppose time will tell.
yes I use Bose headphones instead of ear muffs and air pods so much more comfortable.

I'm on my second pair of Shokz Openruns and I really like them, but they don't block out wind noise, since they don't sit in the ear canal.
Because they don't sit in the ear canal I can hear everything around me, but I've found that anything over 25 kph and the wind noise pretty much cancels out the music/podcast, etc.
Unfortunately, the more wind noise that's canceled out the less other noises, like traffic and other cyclists, can be heard, and that's not a good thing.
Another fan of Shokz Openrun bone conductor headphones. In my case, I have a pair of Shokz Openrun Pros.

I use them while operating machinery, since they work so much better than any other form of hearing protection I've tried.

This would be a case where I would expect damage if it's going to occur. If the outside noise is loud enough to cause damage, then ANC canceling that noise would have to be a sufficient amplitude to counter it.

Good earplugs are probably still the way to go in high SPL environments. Or maybe cans (ex those used in aviation)

ya just saw that after I bought my wife the new ones. but under how much you sacrifice sound quality for the openness?
Honestly I retired my Sena M1 mesh for a Specialized Tactic 4 and shokz openrun pro recently. I use the shokz at work also so a win win. Phenomenal battery life on the headset if you are not looking for bass.

I do have a second set of samsung ear buds pro for the non ride times and the anc/bass capabilities that my note 20 ultra offers in the pairing ( woot had a special).

Last edited:
REI had a sale a couple weeks ago on Shokz with the OpenRun for $99 and the OpenRun Pro for $139. I decided to give it a try.
I purchased both the OpenRun and the OpenRun Pro in 'regular' size. My measurement is 9.5" and Shokz says that if you are 9.25" or > to go with regular size.

Long story short....I love the Shokz. The audio quality is not the best among my many choices, however, the ability to have music or podcast while riding and still hear my surroundings is game changing.
The Pro's imo are not worth the extra money....given that I am only using them outdoors and in windy environments....the modicum of superior sound quality from the otherwise identical Pro's is lost to the elements.
Never matter....I liked them so much in fact...that I returned the 'regular' size Shokz that I had purchased at REI and re-bought the OpenRun Mini size at Best Buy for full retail. The mini's are a better fit for my needs.

If one is an audio-file you might quickly pass on these bone conduction ear-cans at first glance...and I wouldn't have blamed you. Realistically, however, these Shokz provide the means for safe audio entertainment while jogging, cycling, walking the dog etc. in a way that I never thought imaginable. They are VERY low profile, long battery life, lightweight/comfy, provide adequate sound quality, and enable me to hear my surroundings at the same time. Most importantly....I can literally forget that I am wearing these while cycling/walking....they just disappear. At very high speeds or on very windy days I can at times drown out the Shokz with wind noise (after all my ears are entirely unobstructed) but it just doesn't matter.

All these years I had sought the most sound immersing high quality audio buds/cans only to find that these Shokz are a far better product for my uses 90% of the time. I'll save my more immersive in-ear buds with noise cancellation for the airplane or similar uses.

I wish that I had bought the Shokz sooner.

Last edited:
Long story short....I love the Shokz. The audio quality is not the best among my many choices, however, the ability to have music or podcast while riding and still hear my surroundings is game changing....

I wish that I had bought the Shokz sooner.

No way I'd ride with anything that muffled ambient sound. Too many near-silent EVs, oblivious pedestrians, reckless cyclists, and wonderful nature sounds here for that. But I might try those Shokz.

Do they interfere with sunglasses?

Last edited:
No way I'd ride with anything that muffled ambient sound. Too many near-silent EVs and oblivious pedestrians here for that. But I might try those Shokz.

Do they interfere with sunglasses?

No they do not....and this is part of the appeal to me. As I age....I have less need for high(er) volume(s) or perfect sonic qualities....particularly while I jog, walk, or cycle.
The Shokz wear easily and unobtrusively while wearing my helmet and sunglasses....no issue whatsoever....which is just awesome.
I'll be honest....I thought that these would sound like complete garbage but the potential benefits forced me to give it a try anyway. The sound quality is more than adequate for my purposes and they are just so easy to live with.

No they do not....and this is part of the appeal to me. As I age....I have less need for high(er) volume(s) or perfect sonic qualities....particularly while I jog, walk, or cycle.
The Shokz wear easily and unobtrusively while wearing my helmet and sunglasses....no issue whatsoever....which is just awesome.
I'll be honest....I thought that these would sound like complete garbage but the potential benefits forced me to give it a try anyway. The sound quality is more than adequate for my purposes and they are just so easy to live with.
Very helpful.

Of course, no good deed goes unpunished. When my wife asks me why I'm buying yet another set of earphones, I'm throwing you under the bus.

Very helpful.

Of course, no good deed goes unpunished. When my wife asks me why I'm buying yet another set of earphones, I'm throwing you under the bus.

I understand completely. As I had previously said....I bought these for nearly $50 off from the REI sale but I purchased the wrong size. I was unable to exchange for a different size at REI (long frustrating story) and I liked the Shokz enough that I literally drove to Best Buy and bought the mini (size) at full retail. These do occasionally go on sale if you are inclined to wait it out.

When you look at the Shokz website for measuring your head to determine whether to buy the regular or mini.....from my experience....if you are at/near the interval between sizes.....definitely size DOWN. My head was 1/4 to 1/2" larger than suggested for the mini size....but the mini's work much better for me. Best Buy also had these out on display for me to try each size on. During colder weather....the mini will be beneficial for fitting under hats, collars etc. too. It's hard to understand without trying them....but the difference between regular and mini is not a big deal and both will work......while one is likely preferred.

I love my Shokz more every time I use them - have a pair at the office and one at home. I've never ridden with them. I have the boom versions, which could potentially get noisy, but it does flip around backward.

They're my go-tos for calls and meetings. Everything but music actually. They're a great choice for someone not looking for finer sound quality or noise canceling. Perfect for podcasts, audiobooks, chatting, etc. They just feel like the perfect material, weight and build quality. Proof of alien technology probably.

Part of my job is testing headsets for different uses and I have a lot of nice headphones, earbuds, etc...probably 15 pair or so at my desk at any given time. The Shokz never get cycled out. Every person I give them to asks for a pair for their neighbors & teammates.

...I returned the 'regular' size Shokz that I had purchased at REI and re-bought the OpenRun Mini size at Best Buy for full retail. The mini's are a better fit for my needs.

... Most importantly....I can literally forget that I am wearing these while cycling/walking....they just disappear. At very high speeds or on very windy days I can at times drown out the Shokz with wind noise (after all my ears are entirely unobstructed) but it just doesn't matter.
Thanks again for all the info. Very impressed with the regular-sized, non-Pro Shokx I got last week. "They just disappear" may be the best part.

Like you, I measure 9.5" but will try the Mini, as I'd like to be able to lay on my back with them. While I'm at it, will see if I like the Pro bass response better for an extra $50. What's one more consecutive life sentence in the doghouse?

Funny about the wind noise. Normally don't notice any but definitely did on my first Shokx test ride with a headwind. Tried again without the Shokx, and lo and behold, the same wind noise had been there all along! The Shokx made it neither better nor worse — the act of testing just brought it to my attention. And now it's unnoticeable again.

Back