Best Wireless Earbuds for Ebikes

I've been using Aftershokz (now just called shokz) Aeroplex headphones for about two years now. I am on my second pair as the first one was warrantied and the current one is having the same issue. Something inside breaks loose and rattles around like a chime. I don't notice it while riding at this point but if it is like the first ones, it'll get that way. Another complaint is that they make wearing winter headwear difficult as they hold fabric away from the ears and prevent it from sitting flush with the skin on the back of the head.

That being said, I'm going to stick with Shokz headphones because I like hearing what is around me and there doesn't yet seem to be a better solution.
I've also owned my Aftershokz head phones for about two years and just yesterday I noticed something was loose in one side. It doesn't seem to affect the sound (yet), but I'm one the lookout for a new pair, just in case it fails.
I have the same problem as you in the winter months when I wear a thin toque underneath my helmet. The band that goes around the back of the neck gets in the way. During the winter I wear a set of Jabra earbuds, which have a setting that allows outside sounds to pass through. The Jabras work quite well, in that I can hear what's going on around me (although not as well as the Shokz head phones), but I can't wear them without a cover over my ears (a toque), because they often fall out.

Unbeknownst to my wife, who has been complaining about her earbuds, i bought her some Shokz Openruns and test rode them today. Loved 'em and she may never see them...

Just kidding, as my Opencomm ones showed up while I was out riding. Tested them on a few calls and both sets are staying, even if just for me. I really like the waterproofing on the Openrun version which I think is better suited for rigorous excercise, which can happen on an ebike too.

Both pairs were purchased with pretty good discounts. I took other comments about Cat Ears to heart and those are in transit. I really enjoy listening to audiobooks while riding, but am trying to be safe.
Update:
My wife tried them out. I am not getting them back...I guess I will have to make do with the Opencomm version for now.

Those passed a critical test - my 93 mother is profoundly deaf (uses hearing aides of course) but I have had to be very picky on what phone or headset I try to talk to her on. With the Opencomm, her ability to hear me was way better than on my old headset.

I have several pairs of earbuds but refuse to wear them riding. I often feel uncomfortable using them walking.
I use a UE Wonderboom 2 as well. Highly recommend one of these. I don't require stereo. CN

FYI, the wonderboom 2 fits perfectly inside this Arundel Looney Bin cage:

I love the Arundel cage! I've used it for various larger diameter containers, from spare water to a 1.14L bottle of vodka.

Even a Stanley two cup cookset to make some cowboy coffee on the road after a long ride.

I apologize in advance for not skimming this thread. I have been ebiking with earbuds with wires for a couple of years now. I bought a wireless pair a couple of years ago, and they popped out on a ride. I just need the go-to earbuds with wires that offer volume and comfort.

I've been a fan of Anker stuff for a while, since every set of buds or headphones I've tried has punched above its price class in sound quality.
I have their Soundcore Sport X10 buds and while I don't cycle with them, they're secure in other activities (hiking/treadmill), and loud enough. The added noise of wind when riding, I can't speak to that.

Also comfortable when I'm wearing my aviator sunglasses with the thinner arms, but chunky "sporty" sunglasses with thicker plastic arms might make the spacing a bit tight, or cause the glasses to ride a bit high.

Oh, for noise, I also use AirStreamz Classics on my helmet, which makes a huge difference, especially with that boomy wind that gets in the ears.

Attachments

• 1676479474036.png
    1676479474036.png
    166.1 KB · Views: 93
I've been a fan of Anker stuff for a while, since every set of buds or headphones I've tried has punched above its price class in sound quality.
I have their Soundcore Sport X10 buds and while I don't cycle with them, they're secure in other activities (hiking/treadmill), and loud enough. The added noise of wind when riding, I can't speak to that.

Also comfortable when I'm wearing my aviator sunglasses with the thinner arms, but chunky "sporty" sunglasses with thicker plastic arms might make the spacing a bit tight, or cause the glasses to ride a bit high.

Oh, for noise, I also use AirStreamz Classics on my helmet, which makes a huge difference, especially with that boomy wind that gets in the ears.
Thanks Ant, I am looking for buds with wires. I have lost a couple of wireless on rides in the past.

I'm sure it's been mentioned but I don't want anything in my ears while riding my bicycle, motorcycle or driving my car.

I see walkers with those in their ears.

You know, the ones that walk in the middle of a trail and don't move out of the way when you say "behind on your left" or ring your bell?

Your ears are a fantastic safety device.

All the earbuds that I use while riding have transparence modes, which allow a percentage of outside noises to filter through.
I can easily carry on a conversation with another rider while wearing my earbuds.

Why would anyone spend money on earbuds for an ebike? The ebike is stone deaf! :p
I guess I could see getting a bluetooth thing that would fit in a secondary cup holder or under the top tube, but blocking one's ears seems very very bad when we have so few safety options.

Maybe a JBL Flip 4.

Personal opinion:
Don't block your ears and in my opinion, speakers are just plain rude unless you are all by yourself.
I use Shokz Openrun bone conducting earphones, and combined with Airstreamz, I can normally hear what's going on around me, as well as my audiobooks.

A couple of caveats - in the winter when I am riding on studded tires, it can be too noisy to hear the books sometimes as I really don't like to crank the volume.
Also, when it's really windy, the Airtreamz can't really deal with the wind noise.

I find this setup works well for me, but as always, YMMV.

I also have a pair of Shokz Openruns and I like them. During the winter I have to use a different pair of earbuds, as the Shokz bone conductors can't be used with an under-helmet toque that covers my ears.

Reactions: GAJ
For winter riding, I have a set of Outdoor Tech CHIP speakers which tuck into the earflaps of my snowboard helmet. Most of the time that I have them on is during transition towards trail heads when there is virtually no one around, usually weekday mornings. They’re operated by using a series of taps on either side of each speaker and have worked well for me.

IMG_20201231_0917017.jpg

Back