E-bike Road safety improvements via motorcycle type mirrors, windshield, lights and horn

I personally am not a fan of helmet mounted headlights for street or MUP riding - if it's bright enough to light your path it's bright enough to blind anyone you meet. I occasionally meet someone at night on the MUP who has a good light up on their helmet and I have to look away to avoid being blinded. I have a STVZO light on my stem that can throw fairly far but cuts off light going up into others' eyes.

Similarly I was behind someone a few weeks ago who had a good taillight (Light+Motion or Bontrager Flare?) running in daytime strobe mode at night. Completely dazzling even from 100+ft behind them. Steady blink or steady on are much better at night!

Last month I was driving on a road that's parallel to a MUP and saw a rider with Arclight pedals and was impressed not only with how visible they were but also how easy it was to identify their direction and speed.

Very nice looking. I think a pair of those on the pedals will alert a driver to a bike better than a helmet light. Of course the higher mounted lights are going to be more visible, but I suspect that drivers often don't recognize a helmet light as being on a bike. I think I will go lookup a price...
Edit.. looks like $100 to $200 range, a bit much for someone who rarely gets caught riding in the dark, but worth checking out.

I just bought one,..

It is a convex mirror from West Biking, the same company as my handlebar mirrors that have just the right amount of wide angle, so hopefully the helmet mount mirror will be the same?

My helmet has no visor or vents, and I wear goggles.
This mirror sticks to the helmet with velcro tabs.

It's on sale for half price.

Screenshot_20231224-171708_AliExpress.jpg
Screenshot_20231224-172300_AliExpress.jpg

I also bought this high performance two sided 3M VHB tape yesterday in case the velcro falls off.
(I bought the 3 meter X 15mm wide version)

Screenshot_20231224-173909_AliExpress.jpg

I'm spending way too much time and money on AliExpress lately.

Oh well,.. it's Christmas. 😂

Last edited:
I put a windshield on my e-bike mostly because my e-bike looked really stupid without one. 😂

View attachment 168433

I checked out all the windshields I could find on AliExpress and I searched the comments about that windshield you linked to, and people said that the windshield is really thin and it starts to fold and flop around at about 20 mph so I chose this one,..

View attachment 168435

It is more heavy duty but it only has two attachment points so it does move around and rattle a bit.

I sit up straight and my head is way above the windshield so it does nothing for wind noise.
It is meant for a motorcycle and comes in smoked black which isn't intended to be in your field of view.
When I did crouch down to look through it, the view was all warped and the plastic scratches easily.
It needs to be made out of acrylic if you want to see though it without getting nauseated. (I get motion sickness easily 🤮 😂)

I never did try raising it up high enough to block the wind from my face, but it would be fully extended and teetering on the two support rods, and I'm sure that it would look stupider that with no windshield at all.😂

This is how the windshield is intended to be used,..

View attachment 168437

These are some pictures that I searched trying to find something that would block the wind in face,..

View attachment 168438View attachment 168439View attachment 168440View attachment 168441View attachment 168442View attachment 168443

I did find a place that made custom bicycle windshields but they were $700 I think 🤔 and there were some motorcycle fairings/windshields that I found that might work but they were over $200, and I didn't want to spend that much money on an experiment.

Another thing I noticed is that the windshield didn't upset my steering in any really noticeable way. It is mounted to the handlebars and not the frame but the wind gusts didn't feel much different than without the windshield.
(My e-bike does weigh almost 100 pounds though, with my front wheel weighing 15 pounds. It take a big gust to affect my heavy steering.)
Some cool bike faring shots. Thanks!

The longstanding debate over the aerodynamics of bicycle windscreens has yet to be resolved — in part, because total air resistance as a function of speed can depend strongly on seemingly small details.

In the end, you'd have to test specific rider+bike+windscreen combos with little hope of extrapolating the results to other combos.

GCN did one such test using an elite rider on a fast road bike on a flat paved test track at high speed and constant rider power output.

Small changes in air resistance should shine through under these conditions, as slope resistance is absent, rolling resistance is at a minimum and largely independent of ground speed, and the windscreen's added weight will have minimal impact on total resistance.

The dialog is worth a listen, as it highlights many of the difficulties encountered in bike aerodynamics. Wilson and Schmidt devoted an entire chapter to the subject in Bicycling Science, 2020, 4th ed.

Lots of empirical data in the book, but because it's such a complicated subject, few useful generalizations for non-racers beyond the usual: If you're serious about cutting air resistance, tuck as much as you can in tight-fitting cycling clothes. If you're really serious, get a full-length fairing totally impractical for normal use.

For me, the take-home from both the video and the book is this: For commuting or recreational riding, no way to tell in advance if a given windscreen will help or hurt your total resistance at commonly encountered ground speeds. But any penalty could be well within an ebike's ability to overcome with little or no impact on battery range.

So, if you want a windscreen for some non-aerodynamic reason, all you can do is go for it and see if you can detect an impact on range at constant effort.

The GCN video makes a point worth keeping in mind in windy areas: Air resistance depends only on airspeed. If you often ride in headwinds, you might often reach airspeeds where a windscreen penalty could become significant — even at modest ground speeds.
Thank you, great input on the subject.

I recall my Zzipper fairing from the 1980's was great when everything was perfect, but you round a corner going down a mountain incline and hit a crosswind and you had to fight to keep the handlebars from being torn from your grasp. Something you learned to deal with, and it also happened to a lesser extent with plain old crosswinds, no mountain downhill speeds necessary. Bicycles are not as planted as motorcycles are.

If fairings were a good idea on a bicycle, you would see a lot more of them. Its not like its a new idea. A lot of times you just need to sit back and think on whether you have just come up with a brilliant, unique concept everyone else has missed... or maybe its an old one obviously thought of before that has been discarded for reasons you just haven't figured out yet.

I use a helmet-mounted mirror with the boom leading to the mirror fixed to the helmet visor, so its rock-steady even at full speed in a headwind. Multiple lights facing forward... don't try and get an ideal beam pattern for both close and long range from a single light. Two steady lights in the rear so a driver can better gauge my distance and rate of speed. Then an irregular blinkie to supplement this, plus another one on the front. Even multiple steady beams out front are not enough to prevent a SMIDSY, as I found out the hard way a few years ago.

I now use a helmet mounted mirror after trying several other solid bike mounted configurations. Using a helmet mounted mirror certainly takes a bit, well quite a bit of getting used to but once I did it works the best for me. There are some downsides to the helmet mounted mirror like having to adjust it each time you take your helmet off and bump the mirror. Looking with only one eye takes getting used to. My right eye is the dominant eye so that took a little extra getting used to but in the end the helmet mounted mirrors works the best for me.

Using a helmet mounted mirror certainly takes a bit, well quite a bit of getting used to,..
Looking with only one eye takes getting used to.

I didn't realize that you're only viewing with one eye.

I'm going to give it a try, but I'm not removing my handlebar mirrors unless I can get used to it.

I'm worried that I'm going to run off the road while I'm focusing my attention on the mirror. 😂

I now use a helmet mounted mirror after trying several other solid bike mounted configurations. Using a helmet mounted mirror certainly takes a bit, well quite a bit of getting used to but once I did it works the best for me. There are some downsides to the helmet mounted mirror like having to adjust it each time you take your helmet off and bump the mirror. Looking with only one eye takes getting used to. My right eye is the dominant eye so that took a little extra getting used to but in the end the helmet mounted mirrors works the best for me.
I have tried out helmet mirrors on my duel sport motorcycles and have unfortunately not found one that is strong enough. (still looking) The primary reason that I want one for this application (that will also apply to the Ebike) is that I spend a lot of time in a standing position and cannot tell if another vehicle is behind me. I often tool along at a lower zen like dreamy speed rather than someone that is just trying to "get there" 😄 Its an old guy thing I guess..

I recall my Zzipper fairing from the 1980's was great when everything was perfect, but you round a corner going down a mountain incline and hit a crosswind and you had to fight to keep the handlebars from being torn from your grasp. Something you learned to deal with, and it also happened to a lesser extent with plain old crosswinds, no mountain downhill speeds necessary. Bicycles are not as planted as motorcycles are.

If fairings were a good idea on a bicycle, you would see a lot more of them. Its not like its a new idea. A lot of times you just need to sit back and think on whether you have just come up with a brilliant, unique concept everyone else has missed... or maybe its an old one obviously thought of before that has been discarded for reasons you just haven't figured out yet.

I use a helmet-mounted mirror with the boom leading to the mirror fixed to the helmet visor, so its rock-steady even at full speed in a headwind. Multiple lights facing forward... don't try and get an ideal beam pattern for both close and long range from a single light. Two steady lights in the rear so a driver can better gauge my distance and rate of speed. Then an irregular blinkie to supplement this, plus another one on the front. Even multiple steady beams out front are not enough to prevent a SMIDSY, as I found out the hard way a few years ago.
I remember the Zzipper.. I made a few of my own for winter riding from plastic sheet around that time period. As a former off road rider we would use both a bike mounted headlamp and a helmet mounted. It worked well to see the dips and depressions that a lower mounted headlamp can obscure, or when picking yourself up off the ground and getting sorted out again! 😄

The steady lamp allowing other drivers to judge speed is a really good consideration for night safety with motor vehicles.

Good input- Thank you.

...I have been riding a Rad power bike within a 20 mile area of my home. I live in the country with mountainous secondary roads with minimal shoulders and speeds by drivers averaging 50mph...
Ken, I would not be very comfortable riding in that situation. My wife and I have a 5 acre hobby farm. We live on a gravel road and have a busy State Trunk Highway nearby. It does have shoulders by I usually try to get off Highway 3 as soon as I can. Good luck and whatever you can do to be seen can probably only help keep you a little bit safer.

I thought I saw some studies that the single most visible and intuitively clear thing to drivers were lights on the pedals - the circular motion makes it clear without thinking that there’s a human on a bike there.

IMO if the following doesn’t make you feel safe enough, you shouldn’t be riding there:

radar tail light
audible radar and visible alert for closing vehicles
bright, properly aimed (not at someone!) headlight with side visibility
lights on pedal or reflective bands on ankles
hi viz clothing
optional mirror for the hard of hearing or with limited neck mobility

I thought I saw some studies that the single most visible and intuitively clear thing to drivers were lights on the pedals - the circular motion makes it clear without thinking that there’s a human on a bike there.

IMO if the following doesn’t make you feel safe enough, you shouldn’t be riding there:

radar tail light
audible radar and visible alert for closing vehicles
bright, properly aimed (not at someone!) headlight with side visibility
lights on pedal or reflective bands on ankles
hi viz clothing
optional mirror for the hard of hearing or with limited neck mobility
Good input. How about the small led's in the wheels for side viability? I have never used the pedal/ankle or the wheel lamps.

Ken, I would not be very comfortable riding in that situation. My wife and I have a 5 acre hobby farm. We live on a gravel road and have a busy State Trunk Highway nearby. It does have shoulders by I usually try to get off Highway 3 as soon as I can. Good luck and whatever you can do to be seen can probably only help keep you a little bit safer.
We also have a fairly busy highway with shoulders 199 / Redwood Hwy. I have rode on it for quite a few years when I have no other alternative, but its not pleasant or low stress for sure. No way that I would take my wife on it. I am going to pick up a tiny enclosed trailer just for the Ebikes, so we can easily transport to neat places to ride together and still have a degree of security against theft if we stop at a cafe etc.

my daughter has those on her bike, because she thinks they look cool 😎

i’m not sure if they’re effective for safety - they’re definitely very visible ! but there is a bit of a dazzle effect. maybe overkill.
I suspect that the ankle straps probably work pretty well, after seeing the lighted pedal video above. The pedaling motion is pretty distinctive. I am going to get myself a pair when I stop at the LBS this week. I've not seen the LEDS on spokes so IDK, but I think I saw some when I was looking at bike bags. Maybe something like those little kids shoes with the light up soles could be rigged up with both the LEDs and reflective straps for adults.

I think that's the same video @BlackHand posted ... #17 or #18 in this thread, but that was the first time I'd seen them ...impressive but I just didn't like the price.

I'm worried that I'm going to run off the road while I'm focusing my attention on the mirror. 😂
That is the thing you totally leave behind by using a helmet-mounted mirror. You have what is effectively a wide-screen TV in the upper left corner of your vision. In a spot you don't need for forward vision, and you are still looking where you are going when you flick your eye just a hair over to see whats behind you. Handlebar-mounted mirrors on a bicycle are well below your head's level and require you to look away from the direction you are going to see behind you.

I also use LED strip lights running down the side rails of my frame, positioned such that they illuminate the frame rails and create a moving halo around me. In the dark its quite a bit more extraordinary than in this pic. Especially when there are no street lights.

20231206_165538-EDIT.jpg

And its dirt cheap to do. For a conventional bike frame you could put a shortened pair of strips on your down tube facing the ground. Links to the $12.99 light below, plus a link from there to a full writeup on the install (for instance use 3M VHB as a backing strip so the light strip will never budge).

Back