E-bike Road safety improvements via motorcycle type mirrors, windshield, lights and horn

That is the thing you totally leave behind by using a helmet-mounted mirror. You have what is effectively a wide-screen TV in the upper left corner of your vision. In a spot you don't need for forward vision, and you are still looking where you are going when you flick your eye just a hair over to see whats behind you. Handlebar-mounted mirrors on a bicycle are well below your head's level and require you to look away from the direction you are going to see behind you.

I also use LED strip lights running down the side rails of my frame, positioned such that they illuminate the frame rails and create a moving halo around me. In the dark its quite a bit more extraordinary than in this pic. Especially when there are no street lights.

View attachment 168591

And its dirt cheap to do. For a conventional bike frame you could put a shortened pair of strips on your down tube facing the ground. Links to the $12.99 light below, plus a link from there to a full writeup on the install (for instance use 3M VHB as a backing strip so the light strip will never budge).

Neat bike!

That is the thing you totally leave behind by using a helmet-mounted mirror.

I was thinking that I might be swinging my head around trying to aim the mirror left or right, but the mirror is convex and kinda big so that might not be much of an issue?

Handlebar-mounted mirrors on a bicycle are well below your head's level and require you to look away from the direction you are going to see behind you.

My mirrors are WAY out to the side as well and I have to turn my head to see them.
I'd really like to delete the mirrors, so I'm going to force myself to get used to the helmet mirror.

I was thinking that I might be swinging my head around trying to aim the mirror left or right, but the mirror is convex and kinda big so that might not be much of an issue?

My mirrors are WAY out to the side as well and I have to turn my head to see them.
I'd really like to delete the mirrors, so I'm going to force myself to get used to the helmet mirror.
I was wondering about moped style mirrors that do a vertical rise from the brake perch area. If they are high enough to clear the forearms they will give great reflective field of vision. I cant find a helmet mirror that lasts. I may try mounting small mirrors off of an installed windshield or off of the front rack on the bike.

I was wondering about moped style mirrors that do a vertical rise from the brake perch area. If they are high enough to clear the forearms they will give great reflective field of vision. I cant find a helmet mirror that lasts. I may try mounting small mirrors off of an installed windshield or off of the front rack on the bike.

That could work.

The issues I see are the weight of motorcycle/moped mirrors, possible vibration from a long vertical rise, and something to get hung up on or even impaled on if you get tossed over the handlebars.

I don't really know what's available because I didn't think of searching for motorcycle equipment at the time.

My windshield works kinda cool because it will pop off the brackets if you hit it from behind, but I hit a 6" deep pothole once that I couldn't see while standing on the pedals and the windshield came straight up towards my throat.
I caught myself with my neck 2" from the top of the windshield.

That could work.

The issues I see are the weight of motorcycle/moped mirrors, possible vibration from a long vertical rise, and something to get hung up on or even impaled on if you get tossed over the handlebars.

I don't really know what's available because I didn't think of searching for motorcycle equipment at the time.

My windshield works kinda cool because it will pop off the brackets if you hit it from behind, but I hit a 6" deep pothole once that I couldn't see while standing on the pedals and the windshield came straight up towards my throat.
I caught myself with my neck 2" from the top of the windshield.
Yeah, crashing on stout mirrors or a windshield would really suck alright. They are due an increase in caution for sure.

I mount the motorcycle windshields very far forward and at a rear tilting angle. They can still set uncomfortably close to the neck while in a standing position. I have fallen on them before and the mounts moved upon the bars let the screen flatten out, with the rubber portions allowing enough flex to stop breakage. Still a bit hazardous. I like the idea of it popping out of the way like yours.

The bike mirrors are tough enough to resist most resonated vibration from the road or engine and make great helmet and coat hangers when parked! :D Some bikes have rubber mounted bars which could benefit a bicycle handlebar to resist road vibration without a decent suspension fork or lower air pressure tire. The mirrors would carry a weight and wind resistance tax for the view, no doubt about it. The mirrors require universal 7/8" bar mounts without brake or clutch mounts, that allow 8mm mirror stem threading, require enough bar space to mount them in an ideal mirror position. There are cheesy looking strap mounts, but they are likely not very stable and look like afterthought crap.

The mirrors require universal 7/8" bar mounts without brake or clutch mounts, that allow 8mm mirror stem threading, require enough bar space to mount them in an ideal mirror position.

Something like this might help with mounting mirrors or possibly a windshield.
I don't know if they are strong enough for a windshield?

Screenshot_20231227-163403_AliExpress.jpg

Something like this might help with mounting mirrors or possibly a windshield.
I don't know if they are strong enough for a windshield?

View attachment 168611
Very interesting! Bar taper no doubt complicates things.. off road dirtbikes have very stout aluminum handlebar mount clamps for hand guards... They could be adapted if additional rigidity were needed... Hmmm.
Good find

There are these things available too,..

Screenshot_20231227-165807_AliExpress.jpg
Screenshot_20231227-165722_AliExpress.jpg

All the handlebar mounts and clamps I've purchased came with rubber spacers for different diameter handlebars.

Screenshot_20231227-170228_AliExpress.jpg

Another thing to consider is a rear view camera,..

Screenshot_20231227-204225_AliExpress.jpg
Screenshot_20231227-204336_AliExpress.jpg

Some are hard wired. Some are WiFi or Bluetooth. Some come with a display, and some use your phone.

The problems can be powering them as a lot of them run off 12 volts.
There can be connectivity, software and overall reliability issues.

With one particular bicycle rear view camera I was looking at, customers said that it had too much wide angle view, and you couldn't see a car until it was 10 feet from you.

There are also helmet mounted rear view cameras.

Another thing to consider is a rear view camera,..

View attachment 168641View attachment 168642

Some are hard wired. Some are WiFi or Bluetooth. Some come with a display, and some use your phone.

The problems can be powering them as a lot of them run off 12 volts.
There can be connectivity, software and overall reliability issues.

With one particular bicycle rear view camera I was looking at, customers said that it had too much wide angle view, and you couldn't see a car until it was 10 feet from you.

There are also helmet mounted rear view cameras.
Some great finds!

I recently put these mirrors on my bike. https://www.ebay.com/itm/353300570392
Quality seems good, lots of adjustment, been up to 24 MPH so far with no issues, good price.
Nice find!
The socket design looks like they will be movable to an impact without breaking. They also look to have enough height and adjustment for clear view over the arms.

I will have to try a set! If they are solid enough, I will try them on the duel sport motorcycles too.

Thanks for the share.

Not big and not convex, actually. You can literally aim it so it presents a perfect view of the full street behind you, looking straight back and over your shoulder. Here are my two current helmets. A Kali and a Bell Super Air. I use the Kali when at home on the coast and the Bell in Central CA.

20231227_094252.jpg
20231227_094302.jpg
20231227_094317.jpg

20231115_131354.jpg

And one from waaaay back. Bell Super 3R in 2017. I had not figured out the velcro ties back then. More recently on this helmet's successor (this one was destroyed in a crash) I used red velcro and it blended nicely.

IMG_20171201_070317.jpg

I wore the mask so I can mouth-breathe and not eat my weight in bugs in the Central California inferno called Summer (the wraparound shades keep bugs out thanks to the snug nose bridge). You can see how far outboard the mirror is. But its perfectly in view while you look forward where you are going. Yes you can noodge it out of alignment about every other day but its easy to tweak back as the mirror is hinged on two axes.

IMG_20200412_141911.jpg

Not big and not convex, actually. You can literally aim it so it presents a perfect view of the full street behind you, looking straight back and over your shoulder.

I'm convinced.
I just bought 2 of these as well.

Screenshot_20231228-202351_AliExpress.jpg

Even if they don't last, they're only 5 bucks a piece.
I really want to ditch my handlebar mirrors.

I'm sure I'll get something figured out for my helmet.

I just bought a helmet too,..

Screenshot_20231228-210805_AliExpress.jpg
Screenshot_20231228-202942_AliExpress.jpg

It's a motorcycle helmet so it's heavier than a bike helmet but it should protect my head better.

It's ventilated with dual visors.

It's supposed to be DOT approved, but that might be fake?

for that pricer it may fit a mouse.

Yeah, I did kinda cheap out on the helmet.
I wouldn't feel safe wearing it on a motorcycle but it should be fine for my ebike especially with me only going about 20 kph.

My brother-in-law had a helmet for me but it's an XL. My current helmet is a medium and fits loose, so I ordered a small.
Either I've got a shrunken head or my brother-in-law has a pumpkin head. 😂

I know that you're supposed to buy a new helmet after an accident but I keep thinking about hockey and football helmets.
Hockey and football players don't replace their helmets dozens of times a game.

I've got a skateboard helmet that I've "used" many dozens of times.
I bounced my head off the pavement and just got up and kept going.

Besides, single use plastics are bad for the environment. 😂

Last edited:
Back