Wireless Earbuds for cycling

Thanks again for all the info. Very impressed with the regular-sized, non-Pro Shokx I got last week. "They just disappear" may be the best part.

Like you, I measure 9.5" but will try the Mini, as I'd like to be able to lay on my back with them. While I'm at it, will see if I like the Pro bass response better for an extra $50. What's one more consecutive life sentence in the doghouse?

Funny about the wind noise. Normally don't notice any but definitely did on my first Shokx test ride with a headwind. Tried again without the Shokx, and lo and behold, the same wind noise had been there all along! The Shokx made it neither better nor worse — the act of testing just brought it to my attention. And now it's unnoticeable again.
Glad that you liked them and thanks for letting me know!
Yup....I like the minis a bit better for that reason. Sure they are still behind your head if on a pillow etc.....but come winter the minis should be better against a jacket collar or under a hat etc.
I will say this. I first bought the Pros and while they may sound marginally better and with marginally better bass response.....I decided to stick with the OpenRun (non pro version). You know that little tingle that you get sometimes with the shokz at your temples....that little buzz?...that vibration? That bass buzz is more pronounced with the Pros and so I preferred the regular OpenRun version. Additionally....in the circumstances that I use the Shokz....in the wind...while riding or exercising.....that extra $50 for that 'better' sound quality just does not matter at all during these circumstances imo.
Either way...hope you enjoy them. I'm really enjoying mine. Ride safe!

Last edited:
Glad that you liked them and thanks for letting me know!
Yup....I like the minis a bit better for that reason. Sure they are still behind your head if on a pillow etc.....but come winter the minis should be better against a jacket collar or under a hat etc.
I will say this. I first bought the Pros and while they may sound marginally better and with marginally better bass response.....I decided to stick with the OpenRun (non pro version). You know that little tingle that you get sometimes with the shokz at your temples....that little buzz?...that vibration? That bass buzz is more pronounced with the Pros and so I preferred the regular OpenRun version. Additionally....in the circumstances that I use the Shokz....in the wind...while riding or exercising.....that extra $50 for that 'better' sound quality just does not matter at all during these circumstances imo.
Either way...hope you enjoy them. I'm really enjoying mine. Ride safe!
OpenRun Pro Mini arrived today. The Mini's a much better fit for me despite my 9.5" measurement.

I'm OK with the extra $50 for the Pro. It adds a hard-shell case and valuable multi-function button for track and phone call control, and lower and middle frequencies are definitely better per the Steely Dan Katy Lied test.

Last edited:
OpenRun Pro Mini arrived today. The Mini's a much better fit for me despite my 9.5" measurement.

I'm OK with the extra $50 for the Pro. It adds a hard-shell case and valuable multi-function button for track and phone call control, and lower and middle frequencies are definitely better per the Steely Dan Katy Lied test.
Good stuff! FYI both open run and open run pro have the multi function button.

I have been using mine for several months. Mostly I use them to hear my Varia beeping but they are also good for phone calls occasionally.

I am lucky to have extensive bike trails to ride on. Most of them have saltwater views. I love riding with old school,wired Apple ear buds. I switched to wire to eliminate fear of a bud falling out. I was always messing with a bud. It’s great to catch an hour of hard rock or chill instrumental while riding. Love it.

I am lucky to have extensive bike trails to ride on. Most of them have saltwater views. I love riding with old school,wired Apple ear buds. I switched to wire to eliminate fear of a bud falling out. I was always messing with a bud. It’s great to catch an hour of hard rock or chill instrumental while riding. Love it.
You should take a look at these bone conduction units.
I believe that it is a real game changer.
Shokz is a bit of an investment starting at about $130 +/-. I'm loving it and keeping them....I find myself using them all the time but still use my in-ear buds for lawn mowing.
My wife likes mine so much that she has been testing some of the cheap Amazon units available (she doesn't wish to spend money...I love her!).
Some were real duds....but she landed on one called the 'HeyLou Purfree' or the Purfree Lite which are quite inexpensive and which seem quite decent.

Now that I've ridden and walked with my Shokx OpenRun bone-conducting earphones for awhile, have to say that the issue of losing ambient sounds that should really be heard on a bike remains. To use the Shokx safely in traffic, or to enjoy the birds chirping as I pedal, I still have to turn them way down.

Normally, the audio coming through the earphones is the signal, and ambient sound is the noise. But those roles reverse on a bike — at least for me. And even with nothing in or covering my ears, the signal-to-noise ratio for safe riding suffers with any music or talk reaching my cochleas, regardless of the path taken to get there.

Then there's the matter of attention management. I only have so much attention to give at 75, and the more I divert to any audio device, the more my situational awareness suffers. Since situational awareness is my most important safety measure by far, I consider that a serious problem.

Last edited:
Now that I've ridden and walked with my Shokx OpenRun bone-conducting earphones for awhile, have to say that the issue of losing ambient sounds that should really be heard on a bike remains. To use the Shokx safely in traffic, or to enjoy the birds chirping as I pedal, I still have to turn them way down.

Normally, the audio coming through the earphones is the signal, and ambient sound is the noise. But those roles reverse on a bike — at least for me. And even with nothing in or covering my ears, the signal-to-noise ratio for safe riding suffers with any music or talk reaching my cochleas, regardless of the path taken to get there.

Then there's the matter of attention management. I only have so much attention to give at 75, and the more I divert to any audio device, the more my situational awareness suffers. Since situational awareness is my most important safety measure by far, I consider that a serious problem.

Jeremy I completely understand. Only you know what works best for you. It is certainly your safest bet to remain entirely focused on your cycling and the road ahead. For those that demand audio input during their rides, however, I maintain that bone conduction is among the safest methods.
For me....there are times that the wind or ambient noise wash out the music from the Shokz....and that's ok with me. As noise(s) or wind settle down....my music or podcast remain. I can always pause with a quick tap should I wish to do so. It most definitely is a bit of 'walking and chewing gum at the same time' but for now I seem to be able to manage it safely.
Stay safe out there!

Jeremy I completely understand. Only you know what works best for you. It is certainly your safest bet to remain entirely focused on your cycling and the road ahead. For those that demand audio input during their rides, however, I maintain that bone conduction is among the safest methods.
For me....there are times that the wind or ambient noise wash out the music from the Shokz....and that's ok with me. As noise(s) or wind settle down....my music or podcast remain. I can always pause with a quick tap should I wish to do so. It most definitely is a bit of 'walking and chewing gum at the same time' but for now I seem to be able to manage it safely.
Stay safe out there!
Agree, the best approach to audio while cycling will vary from rider to rider. I'll definitely appreciate the Shokx on some of my low-traffic routes. A break from the monotony of pedaling now and then is also a valuable thing.

I was reading this thread from time to time.
Now, it has become clear to me why so many riders need Garmin Varia :)

I was reading this thread from time to time.
Now, it has become clear to me why so many riders need Garmin Varia :)

I was leery of the Varia but bought it for $99 to pair with the TCU on my Vado 4.0.
I am no longer leery. The Varia is an excellent safety tool. I am astonished at its accuracy.
No it won't keep some car from hitting me....but it certainly keeps me accurately updated on what is happening behind me.

On the Vado 4.0 it connects to the TCU and I can hear its audible alerts while wearing the Shokz.
On my Vado SL I use the Varia phone application via bluetooth and it alerts me through my Shokz.

I rely on my sight (rear-view mirror) and my hearing :) (That's why I'm listening to the ambient only).

I was leery of the Varia but bought it for $99 to pair with the TCU on my Vado 4.0.
I am no longer leery. The Varia is an excellent safety tool. I am astonished at its accuracy.
No it won't keep some car from hitting me....but it certainly keeps me accurately updated on what is happening behind me.

On the Vado 4.0 it connects to the TCU and I can hear its audible alerts while wearing the Shokz.
On my Vado SL I use the Varia phone application via bluetooth and it alerts me through my Shokz.
I also like that you are alerted to cyclists coming up behind you on trails. I as often startled by people who don't announce they are passing and also as a woman alone on a trail, I like to be very aware and every bit helps.

I also like that you are alerted to cyclists coming up behind you on trails. I as often startled by people who don't announce they are passing and also as a woman alone on a trail, I like to be very aware and every bit helps.
I was considering a Varia for just this purpose. The manual says however, that an object must be approaching at greater than 6mph for it to alert. That means if I'm riding a trail at 15mph, an approaching rider must be travelling at 21mph to trigger an alert.

Most of the time, passing riders are only going 3 or maybe 4mph faster than I am. I can see the Varia being helpful on the road to warn of approaching vehicles, but is it really that useful on trails?

I was considering a Varia for just this purpose. The manual says however, that an object must be approaching at greater than 6mph for it to alert. That means if I'm riding a trail at 15mph, an approaching rider must be travelling at 21mph to trigger an alert.

Most of the time, passing riders are only going 3 or maybe 4mph faster than I am. I can see the Varia being helpful on the road to warn of approaching vehicles, but is it really that useful on trails?
Not 100% sure for your situation. I have noticed, however, when parking my bike at a grocery store that the Varia picked up pedestrians walking toward me. They were certainly walking at less than 6 mph. In my limited experience thus far, it seems to pick up about anything that is traveling at a higher rate of speed when compared to me.

If the sale is going on right now you should pick one up and give it a try. If it doesn't meet your expectations, you can always return it.

It alerts me often when my bike is stationary and I walk behind it. So it does work and every time I’ve had an alert with bicycles on the street and the trails so yes it’s excellent on trails. I’ve been using mine for 2 years this way.

Stay safe out there!
These OpenRun earphones really shine on neighborhood dog walks. Two or more in-person conversations per walk are par for the course. Used to remove any earphones or earbuds for better hearing and to seem more engaged. But with the OpenRuns, I just turn off the audio with the multifunction button. Very handy.

Many days, I forget to take them off after I'm done listening and discover them on my head hours later. They really do "just disappear".

Last edited:
These OpenRun earphones really shine on neighborhood dog walks. Two or more conversations per walk are par for the course. Used to remove any earphones or earbuds for better hearing and to seem more engaged. But with the OpenRuns, I just turn off the audio with the multifunction button. Very handy.

Many days, I forget to take them off after I'm done listening and discover them on my head hours later. They really do "just disappear".
Yup. My wife bought the Heylou Purfree headphones.....from amazon....like a cheap version of the Shokz. She loves them for walking the dog and chatting on the phone.
If my Shokz were lost/broken I'd replace them immediately.

You are correct....they do shine for walking/running where wind noise(s) are lesser. I sometimes find myself sitting at my office desk talking on bluetooth with them.
They are a beautiful creation. I love not having something in/on/over my ears.

Last edited:
For wind on my bike, I have cat ears. I have taken the odd call and the person on the other end hears no wind and more importantly, I can hear them. With other earphones the noise cancellation may be perfect but it doesn’t help me hear plus I’m sure it isn’t good for my ears.

Back