BBS*** Settings for a Smoother Ride

Good to see others digging into the settings and making them personal. And it seems we take a similar approach with similar needs.
A few questions for you....
I see your Stop Delay is set to 10. It's been reported by many and I can confirm with my BBS02B ( circa 2020) that the BBS02 acts a bit wonky when set below 20. Can I assume you're not experiencing any erratic behavior when using PAS with your setting.
Have you tried raising the Stop Decay above 100?
I've found doing so to be the most instrumental in soothing out the motor response. I'm currently using 130 with absolutely no ill affect and have tried just about all possible settings up to 220. I did have to fine tune other settings while tweaking the Stop Decay... such as the Slow start mode from 5 to 6.

Last edited:
I've had no problem with Stop Delay at 10. Originally it had Stop Delay 25, which gave an annoying (to me) run-on effect.
I've never tried upping the value of Start Decay. I'm okay with the motor cutting off immediately.

I've had no problem with Stop Delay at 10. Originally it had Stop Delay 25, which gave an annoying (to me) run-on effect.
I've never tried upping the value of Start Decay. I'm okay with the motor cutting off immediately.

That's great on the Stop Delay... What year is your motor?

And trust me on the Stop Decay... The description of its purpose that is in circulation is not accurate.
It decreases the ON/OFF feel of the motor, heavy lurching and makes its output much smoother.
I highly suggest that you give it a try as there is no damage that can be done. You won't feel much of a difference when set below 80.. and make initial adjustments in the +20 or the difference will be hard to feel.
I think it gives you a more natural bike experience.

I highly suggest that you give it a try
I tired Stop decay 100, and I agree, it's smoother, especially in stop-and-go using higher PAS levels.
Thanks for the tip!
Now I invite you to try my "Basic" Assist levels.

I also:
Lowered Start current from 40 to 20 [edit: back up to 30], to complement the softer stop with a softer start.
Raised Stop Delay from 10 to 15, just in case. [edit: back down to 11]
Raised current Decay from 7 to 8 [edit: back down to 6]. I see you effectively deleted this effect by raising the Keep Current.

I usually start out in PAS 2 or 3, depending on how full the battery is.
Then bump up a level or three on the open road, depending on how frisky I feel.
With these changes it feels more natural if I want to haul a$$ starting off in PAS 5 or above, but I'm rarely in such a hurry. ;)

I bought my BBS02 in 2020 as well. Are you running 48V or 52V? (mine 52V)
Note: I'm running Bafang Config Tool version 2.2b

Attachments

• pedal.gif
    pedal.gif
    55.6 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I tired Stop decay 100, and I agree, it's smoother, especially in stop-and-go using higher PAS levels.
Thanks for the tip!
Now I invite you to try my "Basic" Assist levels.

I also:
Lowered Start current from 40 to 20, to complement the softer stop with a softer start.
Raised Stop Delay from 10 to 15, just in case.
Raised current Decay from 7 to 8. I see you effectively deleted this effect by raising the Keep Current.

I usually start out in PAS 2 or 3, depending on how full the battery is.
Then bump up a level or three on the open road, depending on how frisky I feel.
With these changes it feels more natural if I want to haul a$$ starting off in PAS 5 or above, but I'm rarely in such a hurry. ;)

I bought my BBS02 in 2020 as well. Are you running 48V or 52V? (mine 52V)
Note: I'm running Bafang Config Tool version 2.2b
View attachment 150683
Coolio
And I too owe you a thank you.
After looking at your settings I thought some of what you have going on can possibly fix a minor issue that I have with sometimes a little sluggish acceleration. Typically after a hard brake and then wanting to return to speed without changing PAS. And though I've tried higher Start Currents in the past as well as lower Slow Start Modes, it always had negative effects on other situations that I encountered more often. But on today's ride I raised my Start Current to 30 and saw over a few miles that it improved what I wanted, though a bit too aggressively. So then I gave 15 a try and instantly knew that I was getting there. One more tweak to 10 and I was like yeah... That's how I want it to be.
So where did you get that version of the Bafang software? I'm still using the Penoff... though today I used the SPEEED AP
And I'm at 48v

I've lost track of where I picked up V2.2b, it was found during a flurry of research.
However, I've attached the original package.

I'm not familiar with the Speed Ap. Does this use the serial cable?

Attachments

• BafangConfigToolV22b.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 213
I've lost track of where I picked up V2.2b, it was found during a flurry of research.
However, I've attached the original package.

I'm not familiar with the Speed Ap. Does this use the serial cable?

Yup... Same cable. You just need a USB to type C adapter

It makes tweaking on the road super easy.
It can also make your phone the bike display in a pinch though not really practical for daily use.
The developer was working on a Bluetooth interface to eliminate the cables needed but I think he lost interest. Possibly because it looks like Bafang is moving towards CANBUS.

That's a way cool explanatory diagram, thanks. I'm assuming the horizontal axis is time.

I do have a question, however, on what the dotted green line means? If pedaling is binary YES or NO, then what does ramping higher than YES mean? I guess another way of posing the question is: What triggers Current Decay?

That's a way cool explanatory diagram, thanks. I'm assuming the horizontal axis is time.

I do have a question, however, on what the dotted green line means? If pedaling is binary YES or NO, then what does ramping higher than YES mean? I guess another way of posing the question is: What triggers Current Decay?
I believe as it approaches the PAS Speed setting... So as your cadence increase.

I believe as it approaches the PAS Speed setting... So as your cadence increase.
Let me see if I'm understanding this - When the pedal cadence hits the Basic Tab's "Limit Spd(%)" setting, then current is reduced to "Keep Current(%)" over the "Current Decay(1-8)" time?

Let me see if I'm understanding this - When the pedal cadence hits the Basic Tab's "Limit Spd(%)" setting, then current is reduced to "Keep Current(%)" over the "Current Decay(1-8)" time?
I can't say that is exactly what happens as that can only be answered by BAFANG.... but yeah it's something like that... but don't quote me 🙃

Ah I was wrong. I thought you were more curious😉😅
Curious.. yes. But not the proverbial cat 🤔
And it seems to fix problems that I am not having.
Do you know what this translates to in function? "Add support for "keep current" option present in the original Bafang firmware. "

Curious.. yes. But not the proverbial cat 🤔
And it seems to fix problems that I am not having.
Do you know what this translates to in function? "Add support for "keep current" option present in the original Bafang firmware. "
English is not my language so it is difficult for me to understand well but I think it's like the original firmware we can now make the adjustment of the keep current which was not Possible in version 1.2 of the firmware

I'd like to share my BBS02 settings.
PAS1 is minimal assist, for riding around pedestrians, on sidewalks etc.
PAS2-8 are closely spaced steps to establish a comfortable to brisk cadence, compensate for battery discharge etc.
PAS9 is full beans, as is throttle.
I prefer more assist to get going, then taper off as I gain speed.
View attachment 150532
View attachment 150533
View attachment 150535
Hi
Is it reasonable to think that you could get a 40 mile range out of your 11 A battery with the settings posted here? If I use your settings on my 750 w motor, Pas 1 is way too fast to ride around pedestrians as it qucikly gets to my 33kph maximum limit. How many watts are you using on PAS 1?
Thanks

Hi
Is it reasonable to think that you could get a 40 mile range out of your 11 A battery with the settings posted here? If I use your settings on my 750 w motor, Pas 1 is way too fast to ride around pedestrians as it qucikly gets to my 33kph maximum limit. How many watts are you using on PAS 1?
Thanks
You need to tame your PAS settings.
I can't speak exactly for those quoted but they are similar to mine in application.
I can get 40mi from my 10ah battery but I ride for exercise and do as much work as the motor.
My PAS 1 is set very low and used to climb steep bumpy hills and navigate tight obstacles / pedestrian traffic and has a max speed of 6 - 8mph depending on the gear I'm in.
Here are my settings.

Screenshot_20230425-195636_Speeed.jpg. Screenshot_20230425-195655_Speeed.jpg. Screenshot_20230425-195708_Speeed.jpg

But I highly suggest that you personalize the settings to you and your bike and use what you read for reference and edjumication. 😉

Last edited:
If I use your settings on my 750 w motor, Pas 1 is way too fast to ride around pedestrians as it qucikly gets to my 33kph maximum limit.
Did you use all the same current limit, speed limit, start current and keep current numbers?
In my normal starting gear, 52t chainring & 19t sprocket, my PAS 1 freewheels at 11 mph (18 kph).
For comparison my throttle (PAS 9) in that gear freewheels at 28 mph.
Maybe it's because my firmware is different, as it won't accept current limit below 20%.
How many watts are you using on PAS 1?
My display doesn't show watts.

Last edited:
You need to tame your PAS settings.
I can't speak exactly for those quoted but they are similar to mine in application.
I can get 40mi from my 10ah battery but I ride for exercise and do as much work as the motor.
My PAS 1 is set very low and used to climb steep bumpy hills and navigate tight obstacles / pedestrian traffic and has a max speed of 6 - 8mph depending on the gear I'm in.
Here are my settings.

View attachment 152441. View attachment 152442. View attachment 152443

But I highly suggest that you personalize the settings to you and your bike and use what you read for reference and edjumication. 😉
Hi
What motor are you using: 750w or 1000w? What is your limit current? I'm using 18 for my 750w motor.
Thanks

Back