Trek Checkpoint Plus Power Settings

Nomadmax

Member
Region
USA
I have a Checkpoint Plus that provides me with a little too much assist. There are rides where I have to constantly go from Eco to Off to stay where I want to be heart rate wise. A great problem to be sure but was wondering if anyone had suggestions on dialing down the assist/power and how those two things inter relate on the app. (I do have the app but have not made any changes).

Maybe 75%, 125% and 200 ?
I don't think I quite understand the power setting that goes along with it as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.
 
If TQ follows the concept similar to some other e-bike mid-drive motor manufacturers, the Assist is your leg power * Assist. So 150 W leg power at 75% would produce 150 * 0.75 = 112.5 W motor power, the total power 150 + 112.5 = 262.5 W, which is a lot. Can you set something like 50% for the assist?

The second setting could be TQ specific. Whatever it is, it puts a cap on the maximum motor power delivered regardless your effort.
 
I have a Pinarello Nytro with a TQ HPR50, but your Trek has proprietary firmware. What I may suggest to you may work differently on the Trek. I use the TQ app, you probably use the Trek app. I am not familiar with the Trek app.

If your app is at the default settings, it's probably set way too high for a rider like yourself. Also, be aware that TQ is about to release a major firmware and app update in the next month or two. Things may change in how the system is programmed.

What I did is as follows.

1. Dial pedal response back to 25% on all assist levels. This gets you back up to speed faster after a stop, but the boost goes away quickly.
2. Set assist% to: Eco - 100%, Mid - 135%, High - 150%. The higher the setting, the more I have to put into it to get the maximum assist.
3. Dial Max power back significantly on Eco and Mid. I kept High at full blast, 300W. I rarely use Mid and focused on Eco. I've been dialing it back from 100W, 10W at a time. Right now, it's at 80W and I'm going to drop it to 70W. The minimum is 30W.

So, for example, in Eco, if I put out 80W, I get 160W max. If I put out 100W, I get 180W max. If I put out 200W, I get 280W max. If I put out 300W, I get 380W max. Make sense?
 
Last edited:
Back