Aventon Aventure Charger!! This is Madness!!

Daveo111

Region
USA
City
Monterey
I cannot believe i cannot buy or properly fabricate a charger for my Aventon Aventure - It has been sitting for over a month now and I've ordered over 200 worth of various connectors (closest being the 100 charger with the ST3 connector from Grin, it did not work at all. I will pay top dollar but Aventon offers NO HELP AT ALL! If anyone out there has ANY suggestions for me - I will reward !

Attachments

• ST3PlugExamples.jpeg
    ST3PlugExamples.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 1,151
You know - I'm not sure - For such a successful model - it is sure hard to get ANY info on this elusive beast

No they do not - it has been totally removed from their website
actually - i was wrong - they do offer it- it's just crossed off on the site and says it will not be available until end of summer. They could at least post the name of this connector - they will not - stating it is a sole proprietary and there is nobody else that has them. they stick to that no matter what - its sheer ignorance

Are you saying the battery will charge if it is fitted with a female barrel fitting that doesn't have a sensing or handshake terminal? Were you able to make this work? Another member has stated that the battery won't charge without the handshake from the charger. See this thread Charging Connector for Aventure? It would be a great help if this works.

actually - i was wrong - they do offer it- it's just crossed off on the site and says it will not be available until end of summer. They could at least post the name of this connector - they will not - stating it is a sole proprietary and there is nobody else that has them. they stick to that no matter what - its sheer ignorance
I had a problem with Aventon support recently. I asked them if they could tell me what the BMS rating was on the Level battery. They sent me an email saying "yes" they could tell me, but wanted to know "why" I needed that info. I told them my warranty was up and I was going to change out my display and controller and that I just wanted to know the max amps the BMS would allow. They replied that they would not disclose that info as it was "proprietary". I wrote back and very respectfully said "no" the battery was not proprietary, and could be sourced on the open market, and that I could find out the information elsewhere, I just wanted them to help me out as I am one of their good customers and supporters . I pointed out that I had purchased two Aventon Bikes, referred my neighbor by name who purchased an Aventure, and to my numerous recommendations on EBR forums. They said "NO".

Very disappointed in their response

I now feel foolish after my brother and a good friend bought the Aventure based on my recommendation. On the other hand I can't take responsibility for business decisions Aventon makes that no one could have foreseen. I am beyond disappointed with them.

If you do change the display and controller, please post the model. Can you recommend a battery that has the same size case as the Aventure? That would help if the battery fails and because Aventon has none in stock (so they say, who knows?). Have you considered a 24 pole magnet replacement Grin has instead of the 12 on the bike?

I now feel foolish after my brother and a good friend bought the Aventure based on my recommendation. On the other hand I can't take responsibility for business decisions Aventon makes that no one could have foreseen. I am beyond disappointed with them.

If you do change the display and controller, please post the model. Can you recommend a battery that has the same size case as the Aventure? That would help if the battery fails and because Aventon has none in stock (so they say, who knows?). Have you considered a 24 pole magnet replacement Grin has instead of the 12 on the bike?
I know how you feel. I can no longer recommend Aventon for that and other reasons.

I installed an exterior mounted (on the rack rails beneath the seat) 22amp KT Controller and KT LCD8H Display on my wife's Aventon Level. Rides much smoother, quieter, more powerful, and has 3 profile settings for the PAS levels (gentle, med, sport), and throttle on startup which my two Levels did not have. Several more programmable parameters, and a plug for a rear light. KT also makes a 17amp controller that will fit inside the downtube. I am going to install a peak 55A Grin V4Baserunner programmable controller and Grin Torque Sensor on my other Aventon and see just how much that little Shengyi rear hub motor can take.

We do a lot of mixed paved trail and off-road (grass/dirt) riding so I changed out the tires. Installed 2.8" on the rear, 3.0" on the front, running at 20psi. The bikes run much smoother and can run the same trails as my fat bike.
With the new controller and tires, my wife's Level can keep up on the off-road with my 1400 Watt Fat bike and my buddy's Sondors Rockstar. It cannot climb the same hills from a stand still, but I am going to remedy that with an 11-42 rear cog set.

Attachments

• Aventon_Level_KT_Display.jpg
    Aventon_Level_KT_Display.jpg
    533.9 KB · Views: 327
  • Aventonw-KT Controller.jpg
    Aventonw-KT Controller.jpg
    958.4 KB · Views: 326
I know how you feel. I can no longer recommend Aventon for that and other reasons.

I installed an exterior mounted (on the rack rails beneath the seat) 22amp KT Controller and KT LCD8H Display on my wife's Aventon Level. Rides much smoother, quieter, more powerful, and has 3 profile settings for the PAS levels (gentle, med, sport), and throttle on startup which my two Levels did not have. Several more programmable parameters, and a plug for a rear light. KT also makes a 17amp controller that will fit inside the downtube. I am going to install a peak 55A Grin V4Baserunner programmable controller and Grin Torque Sensor on my other Aventon and see just how much that little Shengyi rear hub motor can take.

We do a lot of mixed paved trail and off-road (grass/dirt) riding so I changed out the tires. Installed 2.8" on the rear, 3.0" on the front, running at 20psi. The bikes run much smoother and can run the same trails as my fat bike.
With the new controller and tires, my wife's Level can keep up on the off-road with my 1400 Watt Fat bike and my buddy's Sondors Rockstar. It cannot climb the same hills from a stand still, but I am going to remedy that with an 11-42 rear cog set.
Know/learning what kind of crap controllers come stock on these bikes, and what's available on the aftermarket, an enlightening experience for those willing to make the leap.

3 profiles new to me. Now looking forward to the next KT controller conversion....

I have read some of your posts about the poor quality controllers on these bikes but really don't know where to begin when it comes to finding a controller that might fit inside the frame (is that even possible?) and is a good match for the battery and Bafang hub motor on this bike. Yes, I hear a lot about KT. Installing such isn't the biggest problem for me, it's picking the right one and then programming it (if that's what is necessary). I see that Tom@WashDC (thanks for that info) installed a controller and display on the Aventon Level, but don't know if this would apply to the Aventure as well. Any suggestions where to begin?

I had a problem with Aventon support recently. I asked them if they could tell me what the BMS rating was on the Level battery. They sent me an email saying "yes" they could tell me, but wanted to know "why" I needed that info. I told them my warranty was up and I was going to change out my display and controller and that I just wanted to know the max amps the BMS would allow. They replied that they would not disclose that info as it was "proprietary". I wrote back and very respectfully said "no" the battery was not proprietary, and could be sourced on the open market, and that I could find out the information elsewhere, I just wanted them to help me out as I am one of their good customers and supporters . I pointed out that I had purchased two Aventon Bikes, referred my neighbor by name who purchased an Aventure, and to my numerous recommendations on EBR forums. They said "NO".

Very disappointed in their response
Wow! What a difference between Aventon and Pedego. When I overheated the connector on one of my batteries, Pedego, they sent me a set of replacements free even though it was out of warranty. They also told me where I could source them if I had a problem in the future.

I wonder who wrote Aventon's business plan? What are they trying to accomplish by dealing with customers this way?

I have read some of your posts about the poor quality controllers on these bikes but really don't know where to begin when it comes to finding a controller that might fit inside the frame (is that even possible?) and is a good match for the battery and Bafang hub motor on this bike. Yes, I hear a lot about KT. Installing such isn't the biggest problem for me, it's picking the right one and then programming it (if that's what is necessary). I see that Tom@WashDC (thanks for that info) installed a controller and display on the Aventon Level, but don't know if this would apply to the Aventure as well. Any suggestions where to begin?
The easiest way that I can think of is to get the dimensions of the existing controller, and while you are in there, check out the potential for installing something bigger. SOMETIMES it's possible to move the larger connectors OUT of that little compartment in a neat manner, possibly leaving you with some extra room.

Of the 2 (KT-17A and KT-22A) the 17A is much more compact, but the 22A has quite a bit more capacity making it more durable/capable of abuse. Both offer all of the same features/programmability.

Check out all of the different types of connector set ups available with these controllers. KNOW what you need (something else to do while you have it apart looking at the original controller), and make SURE that's what you are ordering! Order as close as you can, and plan on changing potentially changing some connectors if you can't find an exact match.

Programming is a non event. PLENTY of support available. KT even had the foresight for an option to easily bring the controller back to it's original "as shipped" configuration that may prove pretty useful if you happen to get lost (not that likely).

I've done several of these conversions using the KT-22A, the KT-17A, and the big 35a controllers used on the bigger motors. 4 of these bikes were the very inexpensive Espins. The first one I used a KT-17a because the 22a had not been released yet. The rest all have KT-22A's wadded in there... -Al
A couple of pics for reference...

OK, the next step in this consideration is to get inside the frame and see what the controller connectors look like and its dimensions. Then I will investigate what KT has that matches best. Thanks for the information.

I feel you - i must have recommended the Aventon to 50 plus people that rented them from me - I haven’t been this mad in a while. So frustrating over something that could have and should have been so unbelievably simple for them to address
Im floored

OK, the next step in this consideration is to get inside the frame and see what the controller connectors look like and its dimensions. Then I will investigate what KT has that matches best. Thanks for the information.
Don't be shy! Holler if you need a hand anywhere in this process. Maybe start a new topic so it doesn't get buried/lost. -Al

After extensive digging, I believe the Aventure controller is made by Aikema. Here is a link (https://www.aikema.com.cn/en/product/product-36-19.html) to what I believe is the equivalent Aventure controller. It is rated at 18A according to the website. For comparison, attached is a picture of the label on my Aventure controller. All of this to say that I think a KT 17A would work (small enough to fit inside the frame) but it is missing connections for the front and rear lights. I found a KT 22A Waterproof that might fit inside the frame, but there are no screw attachments to keep it in place, and it has just one light connector that would have to be adapted. It would be a very tight squeeze. The brake cables interfere to some extent and can't be moved. Existing controller dimensions are 100x64x32mm. I found one on Amazon Australia with the exact connectors needed, but it is too big to fit inside the frame. I might consider another controller, if it has good performance, the proper connectors, and fits inside the frame.

Attachments

• Aventure controller.jpg
    Aventure controller.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 237
Back