Aventon Aventure Charger!! This is Madness!!

Can anyone recommend a good source for the KT 22A controller and display?
Just a thought - I have used the Bolton/Area 13 35A controller (that was originally designed for the Rad Rover )On several DIY bikes, a Saunders, an Aventon and a Himiway - it has increased the Torque and even the speed on every bike I have installed it on! Check the out - its the highest KT style Controller ive found - With https://boltonebikes.com/products/radpowerkit

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    7.6 KB · Views: 197
Was it a direct bolt-on?

Because Rad Power has a proprietary (I think) battery connector, it's not typical XT60 or something more universal.
You can swap it out SO easy - Its a 2 wire Negative / Positive - no handshake

Dave, I've used several of the 35a KT controllers as well. You certainly don't have to worry about not having enough controller for most any production bike! Currently using one that's proven VERY durable for 5 years now powering my 1000w MAC 12t powered RAD City. Problem is it's size. If trying to keep it concealed within the frame like many of the newer bikes are coming, clearly there's little chance of that happening.

Tom@WashDC found an awesome place for his controller (pic in post#15). After painting it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb located there at all. In my mind his bike is proof that if you can come up with the patience and maybe a little creativity, installing a KT controller (of one size or another) is not that difficult for most DIY'ers -AND - there's a huge bonus for that trouble with the well done programming and increase in performance potential.

Well, I missed the picture of how Tom@WashDC mounted the controller on the Aventure. For an external mount, it doesn't look bad. It's definitely worth considering. Also the Bolton/Area 13 looks interesting. Thanks all for the information. I didn't notice, but how are the headlight and tail light wired up using the KT 22 on the Aventure? Most controllers I've seen have one connector for a light.

Well, I missed the picture of how Tom@WashDC mounted the controller on the Aventure. For an external mount, it doesn't look bad. It's definitely worth considering. Also the Bolton/Area 13 looks interesting. Thanks all for the information. I didn't notice, but how are the headlight and tail light wired up using the KT 22 on the Aventure? Most controllers I've seen have one connector for a light.
Check out the KT controllers advertised as "with light". Some are, some aren't. I would caution though, this "with light" option is VERY low capacity, and it's not fused in any way, making it pretty easy to smoke it. It's designed for low power LED lights. Power is turned on/off with the "up" button like most others.

You might look into using this low power wire to turn a relay on/off. Relays, even just small ones, are able to handle much more power that can be fused, and are not difficult to install either.

I also experimented with mounting the controller under the bottom bracket. It would have worked, but the other rack method was simpler.

Unfortunately, the charger referenced on Alibaba does not have the same ST3 connector as the Aventure. It is close, but no cigar. I ordered an XLR adapter for the Cycle Satiator from Grin with that exact ST3 connector and it doesn't fit. Aventon have a proprietary connector on the charger and battery. They did that on purpose.

Also, the connector to the Bafang hub motor on the Aventon is a 10 pole L1019. Outside of the controller on the Aventon, I saw only one controller with that connector (Grin). It is expensive and out of stock. I don't if it's even possible to convert from say, a Higo Z910 on a controller to the L1019 to the motor. Feeling boxed in on upgrading the Aventure.

Unfortunately, the charger referenced on Alibaba does not have the same ST3 connector as the Aventure. It is close, but no cigar. I ordered an XLR adapter for the Cycle Satiator from Grin with that exact ST3 connector and it doesn't fit. Aventon have a proprietary connector on the charger and battery. They did that on purpose.

Also, the connector to the Bafang hub motor on the Aventon is a 10 pole L1019. Outside of the controller on the Aventon, I saw only one controller with that connector (Grin). It is expensive and out of stock. I don't if it's even possible to convert from say, a Higo Z910 on a controller to the L1019 to the motor. Feeling boxed in on upgrading the Aventure.
You deal with the hand your dealt. There is no magic anywhere on that bike.

If the Aventon motor (are you SURE it's a Bafang, or maybe it just looks like one?) has a 10 wire plug on it, you're going to need to make an adapter to connect it to a 9 wire KT. I don't care who made it, geared hub motors need 3 phase wires, 3 sensor wires, along with a positive and ground wires for the sensor power. Add another wire for a speed sensor for a total of 9 wires and you have a functional hub motor. The only thing I can think of that might be #10 would be an internal temp - and you can survive just fine without that. The KT controller has no use for it.

I am NOT trying to make light of this project. What I AM saying is there is going to need to be some skill and perseverance required to see it through. If this motor doesn't use one of the standard 9 wire connectors, you are going to have to match up the 3 phase wires in the correct order while making your adapter. There is NO guarantee this is going to be just a matter of matching up the green/yellow/blue wires. There is NO universal code regarding the colors. Point being, there's 9 different ways those 3 wires can be connected so the controller and motor can communicate properly. In my experience the sensor color combo will match the phase wires. Hot and ground are generally easy to figure out (just be careful!) and the 9th wire, for speed, is generally white, but there's nothing set in stone there either. -Al

Grin is spendy but I especially like the good waterproofing and having a controller I can run a range of voltages on. The even more pricey “baserunner” is even more flexible. I’m surprised the resident pretty color screen fans will soon disparage the CA 3 but have nothing as capable to fine tune like the homely guy next door with the Atlas body. Mediocre visual design. But lots a tweakability. Add remote switches to engage regen braking. I very nice feature for pretty powerful stops.

s*it! I just deleted a detailed post with links. But here’s a bit. I’m really liking the RTR Grin cables nice and neat.

see cusmade web page for a look at connectors being used on more and more kits and Branded eBikes.
1648285870442.jpeg

Starting in 2019 we began transitioning all of our mid and high power ebike kits to use the new 10 pin locking L1019 HiGo connector or an equivalent from Cusmade. This connector has much larger phase pins than the Z910 and is available in up to 4mm^2 thick phase wire (slightly larger than 12 gauge) which has shown to be reliable for up to 100A currents for short times. This connector has 7 small signal lines. In addition to the 5 hall pins it allows for both a speed sensor and a motor temperature signal, allowing one plug type that does everything we want. We are using this plug with the same motor hall and phase colour standards as the Z910, and are using the extra white signal wire for motor speedometer, and the extra grey signal for a 10K thermistor. We hope to see this become a new industry norm.

Who is "we"?
"Starting in 2019 we began transitioning all of our mid and high power ebike kits"

did you speak to them or email them. They are showing two different type of connectors.

In the past and currently, Aventon has shown a charger with the barrel connector for the Aventure. I contacted them via phone (when they were still taking calls 10 months ago) and they said the picture on the website is incorrect for the Aventure. It does not have a barrel connector even though they are picturing such there. I don't know why they haven't corrected this after nearly a year. This leaves me wondering if they actually have the Aventure charger in stock. I sent them an email a month ago about batteries and have heard nothing, so finding out about the charger is questionable in my mind anyway. The Aventure charger has this plug.

Attachments

• IMG_3118 copy.jpg
    IMG_3118 copy.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 174
Well I finally got a call from Aventon - They sent out a brand new Charger - I plugged it in - it will not charge the bike and the LED blinks RED

Back