Aventon Aventure problem on new bike

OffDWall

Region
USA
Hi Y'all. I am not sure about quality control but mostly I am concerned about battery, power, and battery life. I bought 2 Aventure Step thru's from a local shop last week after waiting a month for them to show. That same morning I got an email from Aventon offering $250 off each bike. I tried getting through on the phone to see if it would apply to current stock at an approved dealer, but no answer, as usual. I drove to San Antonio and bought the 2 (out of the 49 they said they had just rec'd the day before), picked them up, and paid full price. The dealer had no idea about a new $250 credit or discount. Because of the heat in Central Texas I had to wait a day before test riding them. They were great but one did seem to be slightly weaker. Over the next 2-3 days I took small rides. I happen to notice that during the setup of the screen on the green bike, I found out that under "system" my display said that the bike was a "Pace 500". I checked the screen on the red bike, but it said it was a Aventure. This makes me wonder if they have different engine sizes, and I also wonder if this controls the speed software? I looked at the hubs and they look pretty close. Has anyone else run into this, or is this no big deal? Is this why one bike tends to lag? How much should I worry? Part 2 is that, on the same green bike, powering on is very hard. The LED on the battery is barely visible and when you power the display up it will do a quick flash and die. After that nothing will work. The only cure is to remove the battery for 5 - 10 seconds, then remount it, and start all over. After that it will power up and work normally. I don't like an issue like this with the battery, especially since it's the most expensive part on the bike and anything can really affect performance and longevity.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

I will call the dealer (https://www.smallplanetebikes.com/san-antonio/) on Tuesday (they are closed Monday's) but they have always been really helpful and smart about all of it, so I hope they will take care of all of it for me. I will let you know what they say.

As an FYI on the $250 special they sent me, I was able to get them on the phone the next night. They told me the deal was only if you purchased the bike from them directly or from Best Buy. They shut me off completely. I decided to try another angle and told them that this would create the basis for any reviews I posted. The woman changed her mind and decided to give me $200 each in accessories credit. I took that since there was a few things I wanted anyway. They requested a copy of my receipt and I had the credit within a few hours.

Aventure Screens.jpg

Yes that's a problem if one Aventure bike thinks its a Pace! What if you factory reset it and start over?

The dealer is telling me that it's not a big deal and not to worry. I am still concerned because it seems that everything is tweaked for the 500W motor and everything is different, as in tire size, and more. I will do some timing to compare both bikes performance. The dealer also said there is a known issue with the battery cover slipping slightly, causing it to not fit properly. I will try to adjust it.

The dealer is telling me that it's not a big deal and not to worry.
And this is why every time someone says to just "Go to your LBS" I have to choke back a string of expletives involving where they can stick it.
I am still concerned because it seems that everything is tweaked for the 500W motor and everything is different, as in tire size,
You are getting the performance of a 500 watt motor because that's what the controller is set for. That means that Aventure is broken, possibly has the wrong parts, and you should get it replaced.

Though at least with a dealer you have someone you can bitch out. Good luck EVER getting meaningful help from Aventon.

A detail I wish I'd known before I got mine.

Back