Anybody Hit A Deer While on Their eBike ...

I think this video has already been posted in another thread here in the forum, but I couldn't find it so I'll just post the youtube link
(153) Mountain Biker gets taken out by BUCK-CRAZY footage. Hit by deer. - YouTube
Holy $hit... glad he was wearing a helmet!

1606622026942.png

I suppose this could be better placed in a 'dealing with wildlife...' thread from 2018, since I haven't hit nor been chased by wild turkeys yet...(no response to the bell in a Pied Piper attempt). Turkeys found in almost all the Boston neighborhoods and can be quiet territorial!

Attachments

• DD8575B8-95B3-4CA4-A50D-B638587AC87E.png
    DD8575B8-95B3-4CA4-A50D-B638587AC87E.png
    113.7 KB · Views: 202
I was knocked off the seat onto my feet by a dog attacking the front wheel. Back on the pedal powered MTB, with the front wheel real light and 60 lb groceries in the rear baskets. Groceries spilled all over Ste hwy 3.
Deer scare me to death. A buck charged my '59 Ford in Natchez Trace park one night, left a 18" diameter dent in the driver door. Felt like that 4200 lb car jumped 2" right. One reason I don't ride the bike at dusk. We have a lot of deer in N. Clark Cty. 3 or 4 live on my property at the summer camp.

Man, animals are dangerous.

Fortunately, never encounter an animal yet on my ebike.

I did get chased down by a dog on my motorcycle and I knocked off another small dog while running in the woods at night.

I was knocked off the seat onto my feet by a dog attacking the front wheel. Back on the pedal powered MTB, with the front wheel real light and 60 lb groceries in the rear baskets. Groceries spilled all over Ste hwy 3.
Deer scare me to death. A buck charged my '59 Ford in Natchez Trace park one night, left a 18" diameter dent in the driver door. Felt like that 4200 lb car jumped 2" right. One reason I don't ride the bike at dusk. We have a lot of deer in N. Clark Cty. 3 or 4 live on my property at the summer camp.
Whats rarer than a '59 Ford?( a '60 model) the last 60 model I saw was on a rerun of "Twin Peaks" One of Moms Friends had a '59 Ford. The cyclists around here are pretty rare( no Ebikes)

I hit one with an arrow last week. Thinning the herd and keeping the trails safe for you all!:cool:
Is it still safe to eat deer meat up your way? In some parts of Pennsylvania, there are reports of the deer version of mad cow disease. My area still seems OK, it was in the areas bordering the cities, IIRC. Hunting season is still a big deal around here, but way less than 20 years ago.

I'm in a CWD (chronic wasting disease) testing zone. A farm with captive deer tested positive in my zone so we drop off heads at a check station to be tested. So far they have all been negative, but I feel like its just a matter of time as it seems its spreading everywhere.

Gun deer season is still a big deal here, but I gave up gun hunting a long time ago, bow only for me.
Gun was just not challenging enough. Gun go bang deer drops over.

I'm in a CWD (chronic wasting disease) testing zone. A farm with captive deer tested positive in my zone so we drop off heads at a check station to be tested. So far they have all been negative, but I feel like its just a matter of time as it seems its spreading everywhere.

Gun deer season is still a big deal here, but I gave up gun hunting a long time ago, bow only for me.
Gun was just not challenging enough. Gun go bang deer drops over.
Sad to hear about the CWD up there. I kinda thought it was only along costal areas. Short range, one shot drops are expected here for local hunters, but we used to get a lot of out of state hunters with multiple magazines strapped to there chests. We don't see those as much the last 5 years. As far as bows go, I might have a chance with a crossbow, but never with a real bow. Can't hit the side of the barn even if I'm inside the barn...

I've had close calls with deer but none as scary as others have reported.
I posted these in another thread but they seem appropriate here as well. My most recent wildlife encounter was with this guy. He's a 4' Timber rattler that took up half the trail! It could have gone badly for both of us had I not spotted him in time.
P1080496c.jpg P1080497c.jpg P1080498c.jpg P1080499c.jpg

On actually hitting a deer:
I have come REALLY close about 10 times, they always want to get to the other side of me.

I did tag a deer a week or so ago. One of the bike paths I use parallels a highway. I see deer in this area every now and then and they look like they are watching traffic to figure out when to cross (they seemed focused on the other side on the 4 lane highway with concrete center divide). Because of all the car lights they always seem surprised by me. So I came up on this deer about 20mph, I slowed down to about 10mph and when my handlebar was about even with his rump, I yelled at him as he didnt seem to notice me. He was on concrete and decided to try to take off and go across my path (like they always do). Of course he had no traction like a dog running/stopping on a slick tiled kitchen floor, so he was trying with all fours to go but was just wasnt. Of course I was maximum braking with the rear wheel just sliding a tad and I tagged him on the rump at about 5mph. No harm done but its a funny vision I will remember for awhile. Funny thing is there is a bike path underpass literally 30ft away

Other funny animal memories:

A bunny decided the best escape route was to jump straight up as I approached him, while in the air he was kicking wildly but going nowhere, it bounced off my headtube.

A bunny decided run/hop into my leg as I passed it, my leg was soaked with bunny urine.

I ran over a rattlesnake I thought was a log. It reared up just in time to scare my riding partner/girlfriend. The most intense scream I have ever heard come out of a human.

Got between a Big Bull Elk and the rest of its herd and had no idea until it bugled literally 20ft from me. Scared me so much I almost crashed.

Followed a coyote about 20ft away for 300ft down a narrow corridor which gave no escape routes.

Had a pigeon fly up and bounce off my chest

Came up on an owl in an underpass/tunnel and followed it for about 20ft. I could have reached out and touched it.

Saw a dog fly head over heels about 3 times. Apparently it was running to its owner at full speed and hit a fence wire. It appeared stunned but fine.

A prairie dog jumped out in front of me and at the last minute looked back at me like it was thinking 'is this the end?'. I think I ran over its tail.

A red-tailed hawk swooped right in front of me and snatched up a prairie dog.

A coyote sitting right in the middle of a bike path and wouldnt budge.

Some small bird chasing a red-tailed hawk and landing on its back mid-flight.

Not yet, but in my area it is only a matter of time. I'm just hoping the one that finally hits me is a doe and not a buck.

Funny to think about it but actually a small deer ran in front of my e-bike when I entered a local forest on last Thursday dusk (it is Friday night at my place now). The deer took me by surprise as the forest (being a nature reservation) is quite small and I didn't expect any deer living there!

Last edited:
Funny to think about it but actually a small deer ran in front of my e-bike when I entered a local forest on last Thursday dusk (it is Friday night at my place now). The deer took my by surprise as the forest (being a nature reservation) is quite small and I didn't expect any deer living there!
You know ... I believe it is time to get a go-pro camera. There were years I considered myself a dedicated amateur photog and even dipped my toes in the professional world. I have a couple expensive digital cameras in bags I barely remember how to truly operate and a long long line of analog cams prior I won't list. But like so many now I just use my phone to record interesting scenes. IF I think to do it. To heck with the 'art' of it all. Reportage is equally significant. Because of my photog snobbery I have long poo pooped the go pro type camera. No more. Just think of all the great scenes and videos we could share if more of us took up the 'habit'. 👍 :)

You know ... I believe it is time to get a go-pro camera. There were years I considered myself a dedicated amateur photog and even dipped my toes in the professional world. I have a couple expensive digital cameras in bags I barely remember how to truly operate and a long long line of analog cams prior I won't list. But like so many now I just use my phone to record interesting scenes. IF I think to do it. To heck with the 'art' of it all. Reportage is equally significant. Because of my photog snobbery I have long poo pooped the go pro type camera. No more. Just think of all the great scenes and videos we could share if more of us took up the 'habit'. 👍 :)
I'd have a lot of squirrels running back and forth in front of me with me barking to scare them away! 🙄

Just think of all the great scenes and videos we could share if more of us took up the 'habit'. 👍 :)
Ya think?

basket-4.png

If it were my money you were spending, I'd get an older model like a GoPro Hero 4 Session, which is perfectly adequate for basic adventure shooting. No image stabilization but if you are like me and typically just grab stills that isn't such a big deal. And they are cheap (less than $150) on Amazon.

Back