Anybody Hit A Deer While on Their eBike ...

Cody Dog, Hey fellow Texan. I'm down in south Edwards County. My good friend lives out towards Tiveydale. Where do you ride around Freddysberg?
Hill Top, north of town on Highway 16. Nice mountain bike single track that's about 14 mile ride. Only open on Sundays and Monday evenings (night rides).

Hill Top, north of town on Highway 16. Nice mountain bike single track that's about 14 mile ride. Only open on Sundays and Monday evenings (night rides).
Once I get my ride and get used to it you might want to come over here. 20k acre ranch with about 30 miles of dirt roads and even more 4 wheeler tracks. The tracks may be too challenging for me but I aim to find out. I've been here 11 years as manager and still haven't seen it all.

Vultures are really big. All we have here are turkey vultures .. half as big maybe .. but I still wouldn't want to hit one.
We accompanied a high school group on a nature tour of Costa Rica some years ago. We were being transported one afternoon on a tour bus with big front windshields when the driver and I spotted vultures just off the side of the road. We both yelled 'DOWN" simultaneously. Luckily he held his line while the rest of us hit the floor. All but one of the vultures cleared the bus. The one that didn't shattered the big windshield but didn't break through. After a call to the office they drove to a hardware store and duct taped the windshield for the rest of the ride. Hey, it was Costa Rica more than a dozen years ago!

On a few mornings in prior years, on my commute to work, I've passed deer eating just off the side of the road in a large urban park. My normal speed there would be about 25 mph but I slow it down not knowing what they might do. This is inside the City of Detroit. I don't mind the deer as much as the roaming pit bulls - one of which, as I posted in these forums, almost caught me on my class 1 Tern GSD.

I did hit a deer in my car in my college days - or rather it hit me - going to Canyon Lake outside of San Marcos, Tx at 4am. That was really no fun. Particularly for the deer.

We accompanied a high school group on a nature tour of Costa Rica some years ago. We were being transported one afternoon on a tour bus with big front windshields when the driver and I spotted vultures just off the side of the road. We both yelled 'DOWN" simultaneously. Luckily he held his line while the rest of us hit the floor. All but one of the vultures cleared the bus. The one that didn't shattered the big windshield but didn't break through. After a call to the office they drove to a hardware store and duct taped the windshield for the rest of the ride. Hey, it was Costa Rica more than a dozen years ago!
When I moved to the Atlanta area decades ago, my new neighbor found out I was a "computer geek" and gave me a housewarming gift ... a box marked "windders repair kit" ... a roll of grey tape and some black plastic bags.

Last edited:
I've come close to running over a few pedestrians that think it is ok to walk into the bike lane without looking. Not much left of wild life here in NY besides the rats...

On one of my rides along the TransCanada Trail I ran over a gopher coming out of his den right beside the paved trail. I stopped briefly but he dove back in the hole so I assumed no harm no fowl. Part of the reason I've assumed the moniker in tribute to this much maligned rodent.

I think Big Nerd hit a bunny awhile back...
Yep... still don't exactly remember what happened... hit the bunny, lost control of the ebike, remembering thinking "this is gonna hurt real bad", and then waking up in a concrete ditch.

Yep... still don't exactly remember what happened... hit the bunny, lost control of the ebike, remembering thinking "this is gonna hurt real bad", and then waking up in a concrete ditch.
@BigNerd There you are. Are you healing up OK ? Riding again yet? Post # 16 was for you.

I suppose this could be better placed in a 'dealing with wildlife...' thread from 2018, since I haven't hit nor been chased by wild turkeys yet...(no response to the bell in a Pied Piper attempt). Turkeys found in almost all the Boston neighborhoods and can be quiet territorial!

Attachments

• brookline turkeys.jpg
    brookline turkeys.jpg
    674.4 KB · Views: 227
I suppose this could be better placed in a 'dealing with wildlife...' thread from 2018, since I haven't hit nor been chased by wild turkeys yet...(no response to the bell in a Pied Piper attempt). Turkeys found in almost all the Boston neighborhoods and can be quiet territorial!
Those stay away from houses around here, but can be a hazzard on back roads. They don't seem to fly well at all, so just run around the roads in front of cars.

I've come close to running over a few pedestrians that think it is ok to walk into the bike lane without looking. Not much left of wild life here in NY besides the rats...
Pedestrians on bike paths. 🤬 Some of my road bike days were spent in LA. You just could not ride the bike path through the beach towns. The idiots had a wide board walk paralleling the bike path but they would stroll oblivious to every thing right down the bike path. That's why I was on Venice Blvd coming back from a century ride toward my apartment when an idiot opened his car door into me. End of my road bike days. And my Cannondale. He paid though. Well his insurance company did anyway.

Those stay away from houses around here, but can be a hazzard on back roads. They don't seem to fly well at all, so just run around the roads in front of cars.
Yeah, turkeys are pretty furtive around here on the ranch as well. But prior to covid when the owners lived in the city their houses sat empty for weeks at a time. The toms would see themselves in glass doors and proceed to fight their own reflection. One actually broke a low window. They also would crap all over the porches.

@BigNerd There you are. Are you healing up OK ? Riding again yet? Post # 16 was for you.
Yeah... I'm good. I actually started riding again about 7 days after the accident. The first 3 days were pretty bad.... but after the 5th day, I quit the Advil and started feeling better and then a few days later got back on my regular bike. Still got some scars that are healing, and my ebike took longer to repair but I've ridden the Espin back to the scene of the crime. Funny thing, a piece of the light I was wearing on my helmet was still in the ditch almost a month later... plastic is forever.

One big change, I use the brake on downhills now... no more Cool Runnings.

Yeah... I'm good. I actually started riding again about 7 days after the accident. The first 3 days were pretty bad.... but after the 5th day, I quit the Advil and started feeling better and then a few days later got back on my regular bike. Still got some scars that are healing, and my ebike took longer to repair but I've ridden the Espin back to the scene of the crime. Funny thing, a piece of the light I was wearing on my helmet was still in the ditch almost a month later... plastic is forever.

One big change, I use the brake on downhills now... no more Cool Runnings.
Excellent. You are actually a lucky man. "Brakes don't fail me now" pic

Back