Allant 9.9 Advice

Nice bike but looking at the reviews on the Specialized website these have issues as well with several saying they've had their motors and batteries replaced with issues still continuing. It will probably take a few more years to make these more reliable. I went with Trek (after trying a cheap brand just to get into it) because I still have my Madone from 2005. It's like cameras, most use either Nikon or Canon, both will be around at least for the rest of my lifetime, all have issues it's just a matter who you prefer to deal with.
Yea, yea, yea 😃 No issues with this bike after the rehaul to the TCD-W display 😊
Yet there are reports of issues with the Trek Allant+ 9.9S...

Show us an ebiike that does not have any problems reported and you will be showing us a bike without many riders and that those few riders don't ride very much.

Granted there are those with persistent problems whose makers don't take care for their customers very well. However there is no such thing as a trouble free bike that is popular and is ridden regularly.

The key is how do the manufacturer and/or the bike shop respond when issues arise.

Last edited:
I also have the 8S, and have neck issues that I attribute to my road bike days. I do intended to modify The 8s to a somewhat more upright riding position and may likely need to do some cable modifications.

I also have the 8S, and have neck issues that I attribute to my road bike days. I do intended to modify The 8s to a somewhat more upright riding position and may likely need to do some cable modifications.
That's interesting. I still find myself wanting to get down a bit more. I am even thinking of extending the handlebars out vs up. It was hard for me when I first started riding in the upright position, my body was so used to being down and forward. But I did ride my road bike not too long ago and my neck paid for it... I noticed you got the 8s with the lower top bar, 8S Stagger I think it's called. Does that make a difference as well?

Every bike may have problems but I have never seen hub issues or stiff shifting as 9.9 does even on bikes that cost less than 1/3 of its price.

IMO 9.9 is not a well designed ebike. It is more like a no suspension emtb with a carbon frame.
They put a custom stem that prevents adjustment, installation of a suspension fork and causing the cables to have significant bends that is likely the cause of stiff shifting. All these negatives just to hide the cables a little more.
Such a high price yet no electronic shifting or any solutions like Vado's suspension stem, to address vibrations or an effort to reduce weight significantly.

Some models of Trek seems to be targeted for customers who may not have done their homeworks and buy the bike because it looks nice.

On a side note my non-electric bikes are all Trek, I like the company but they are not dialed in the ebike market and they are mostly capitalizing their popularity so far.

Well, I'll see moving forward if or if not the opinions as well as first hand experience are worth my ongoing contribution to these discussions.
Yes, I too fell for the look as well as the latest and greatest technology that can be had, and I feel like maybe I've been had.
I've not yet asked the LBS or Trek to offer a buy back, but I most likely will.
Whether I buy I Turbo Vado SL 5.0 EQ (which I'm supposed to try out later today or tomorrow) or I stick with another model of Trek's offerings is yet to be seen.
"Every bike has its problems" is not a reassuring or comfortable thought.
Sure, nothing is perfect, but I still say that maybe this Allant + 9.9S was released well before all the wrinkles were worked out.
I just want to ride, rinse, repeat, do required maintenance at scheduled intervals and not be the tester of real world reporting of negative experiences or problems on how it's panning out and have midstream mods, rectification procedures and fantastic customer service keeping me stroked.
I understand that a bike is a bike and we can have 1,000,000,000 examples or analogies of any product or service but the point here, as well as what others have contributed is:
Was this bike well thought out before its final production go ahead?
HEAVY chest pains regarding this entire process.

Will it be any different with a Specialized, a R&M, a 'anything' from 'anyone' bike?

I've got maybe 10-15 years of life before I'm wearing Depends and drinking Ensure and would like to be able to enjoy whats left of my life as well as whatever normalcy exists in the real world before everything ends.

I'm sure I'll be taking a bath on the Allant + 9.9S if Trek does not want it back.

Sure, they have bent backwards, but key is just like any database, reporting, real world results, will we ever know how many were sold, how many had/have issues, and on and on and on.

That's interesting. I still find myself wanting to get down a bit more. I am even thinking of extending the handlebars out vs up. It was hard for me when I first started riding in the upright position, my body was so used to being down and forward. But I did ride my road bike not too long ago and my neck paid for it... I noticed you got the 8s with the lower top bar, 8S Stagger I think it's called. Does that make a difference as well?
The stagger is not any different other than an improved stand over height. I stopped riding a road bike about 25 years ago. Did not ride at all until late 2017 when I bought my first ebike. Along with my neck issues, I also have COPD and a little more upright position helps me breathe better. My belly fat does not help either. I stopped riding for about a year due to other obligations, but am now committed again to get in better shape. I hope to ride at least and hour a day during the week and a couple hours each day on the weekend.

Well, just got back from my test ride with the Specialized Turbo Vado SL 5.0 EQ.
Not impressed, at all.
Seems like maybe these writers in Wired and the Verge get comps to write their reviews up good.
Almost like the same analogy to watch a news story on CBS, vs NBC vs ABS vs Fox vs CNN vs BBC and so forth.
Until you 1st hand have the experience, it's tough to believe anyone these days.

I'll write up later today or tomorrow on the Specialized forum my further opinions and experience today with the Turbo Vado SL 5.0 EQ.

I was also eyeing the Specialized Turbo Vado SL series. I really just liked the look of the Allant 9.9s better which is why I went with it (plus - my LBS made me an offer I couldn't refuse).

Yes, the bike isn't perfect but no bike ever is - especially in the world of ebikes.

All that matters to me is the enjoyment I'm getting out of it and that enjoyment is exceeding my expectations. It's honestly close to the feeling the first time I drove my Tesla Model 3.

I was a little worried that it would encourage me NOT to ride my analog road bike much anymore but it's just the opposite. I ride my Allant for quick tasks around town and for early evening cruises and I ride my road bike for exercise. The serve two completely different purposes for me.

I was also eyeing the Specialized Turbo Vado SL series. I really just liked the look of the Allant 9.9s better which is why I went with it (plus - my LBS made me an offer I couldn't refuse).

Yes, the bike isn't perfect but no bike ever is - especially in the world of ebikes.

All that matters to me is the enjoyment I'm getting out of it and that enjoyment is exceeding my expectations. It's honestly close to the feeling the first time I drove my Tesla Model 3.

I was a little worried that it would encourage me NOT to ride my analog road bike much anymore but it's just the opposite. I ride my Allant for quick tasks around town and for early evening cruises and I ride my road bike for exercise. The serve two completely different purposes for me.

"All that matters to me is the enjoyment I'm getting out of it and that enjoyment is exceeding my expectations"
EXACTLY what I said to my wife before I proposed!!

Hello everyone

I'm looking at getting a Allant 9.9. I have been looking through the forums and greatly appreciate your comments.

I have a couple of questions. I am 55, 5'11 with a bad neck - difficulty in raising head. I'm moving from a road bike because I can't cope with the posture. Is the Allant upright? There are no bikes in showrooms here in the UK so I can't try sizes. Looking at a Large but would a Medium be more upright?

Can you pedal the bike without battery power?

Anyone having long term issues / regrets? Its a very expensive bike and don't want to make a mistake.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks
Don't be uncomfortable checking out the Verve line, too. Love my Verve +3, and it's more upright than the Allant if you need that kind of posture. Good luck.

Back