Allant 9.9 Advice

I have the Allant+8S, it does have the 625 Watt battery so the range is good. As I have an XLframe (6'4") it is a bit heavy when I factor in the abus lock, panniers and full water bottle. 74 lbs before I visit my local brewery and load up with a case of beer for my wife and I. Love, Love the bike. I have not had the various issues that seem to plague many here with the 9 series. Maybe the one step down on the gearing is a good thing in this case. I must admit the carbon bike looks cleaner with the internal wires. I would recommend test riding both and making your own decision. I ride amid of flats and hills at about a 50/50 ratio using all 4 power levels. The eco mode allows me to almost keep up road bikers on the flats , I am no where near as fit as they are and upright I am a big ass windsail. Really feel the drag over 20 mph. Having said that I do get to almost 40 mph down hill. Up the hills, I have no problem passing the road bikers who flat out embarrassed me on the flats. The bike is a blast and no way would I go as far without the assistance. When I keep mostly to Eco, I have no problem getting 60 miles on my rides with battery to spare. If I stick to the hills and higher levels of assist, I can easily cut the range down to 40 miles on a charge. Still impressive as my round trip commute is 40 miles.

MGWhippet, When you are going down hill at 40 mph is the motor off? I think they are governed to 28 and it feels like it is holding back. I wonder if that does any harm to the motor. I usually turn the motor off downhill and I can notice it is smoother and I can go faster. However, I've been in one major wreck in my 30 plus years of riding and find 30mph especially downhill is fast enough for me...

I agree the 9.9 looks cleaner but once you get panniers on and other additions like extra lights and stuff it tends to look different. Plus red really shines and when I'm out riding I can't see it anyway :)

Guys, don't tell the OP about the S version as it is the Euro S-Pedelec and requires registration, insurance and wearing a motorcycle helmet in the UK. Talk the regular 9.9, 8, and 7. The 15 mph one.

Guys, don't tell the OP about the S version as it is the Euro S-Pedelec and requires registration, insurance and wearing a motorcycle helmet in the UK. Talk the regular 9.9, 8, and 7. The 15 mph one.
Totally right Stefan. We all have S version which has the higher performance motor. Thanks for pointing that out. On Trek's USA website they seem to have both. However, I would bet that they are not selling many of the regular versions here given the lack of registration necessary for the higher speed S version bike.

He was asking about the 9.9 which I believe only comes in the S version so I imagine he already knows about that. It's also hard to tell if not impossible except for the serial number which version one has. Not saying to do anything illegal but here on the bike paths as long as you are doing 15mph there shouldn't be a concern which bike you have. And I am sure when he buys one the bike store knows what he has to do. With the number of riders I see here in the US I think registration and bike education should be required here as well. Just sayin...

Allant+ 9.9S is not offered in the UK whatsoever. Only 9.9. Any S-Pedelec sold in Europe must be L1e-B class equipped, which involves a large support for the registration plate, which is integrated with the rear light, STOP light and the plate lighting. The support is unremovable. Hard not to notice it in the city.
Screenshot_20200603_195023.jpg

He was asking about the 9.9 which I believe only comes in the S version so I imagine he already knows about that. It's also hard to tell if not impossible except for the serial number which version one has. Not saying to do anything illegal but here on the bike paths as long as you are doing 15mph there shouldn't be a concern which bike you have. And I am sure when he buys one the bike store knows what he has to do. With the number of riders I see here in the US I think registration and bike education should be required here as well. Just sayin...
I think you are right that only the S is sold here, but you go to other country websites for Trek they do sell a 9.9 "non-S" version (for instance on the UK website). The USA website does have both the S and non-S versions of the Allant 8's and 7's, although I am not sure why you would want want here in the USA, except for a small price difference. Your point about education and registration is well discussed in other threads, so I will not jump into that here. Agree with your point about speed limit and courtesy around pedestrians.

I think you are right that only the S is sold here, but you go to other country websites for Trek they do sell a 9.9 "non-S" version (for instance on the UK website). The USA website does have both the S and non-S versions of the Allant 8's and 7's, although I am not sure why you would want want here in the USA, except for a small price difference. Your point about education and registration is well discussed in other threads, so I will not jump into that here. Agree with your point about speed limit and courtesy around pedestrians.
Interesting and adds even more to the confusion. But looking back at his post I think he was more concerned about the ride and riding position which shouldn't be different. As you said most of us here get the S and what is discussed on here mostly... Since there is a limited supply here in the US I wonder what shallcroft will find available over there?

Interesting and adds even more to the confusion. But looking back at his post I think he was more concerned about the ride and riding position which shouldn't be different. As you said most of us here get the S and what is discussed on here mostly... Since there is a limited supply here in the US I wonder what shallcroft will find available over there?
Good Question. Article in NYTimes today that talks about eBike sales up 85%.

Definitely seen an increase here over the past couple of years. A lot of people getting them for commuting avoiding traffic. For most it's a short commute, less than 5 miles, no sweat, no need for a shower and no monthly parking fees.

The 9.9 has a custom stem built for a cleaner look as the cables are routed through the stem to the handlebars. They only make one stem.

The 8 series and 7 series have a normal stems so you can replace to adjust length, angles, etc. to your preference.

I would personally go ride both to judge if you think the carbon worth it. I happen to agree with others that suggested the 8s is the better value. However, the 9.9 does come with a larger battery (625 vs 500) option, is a 12-speed which you may prefer, has a cleaner look, and may be the best looking e-bike on the market.

I also agree you may want to consider the new Specialized Vado 5.0SL (if available in UK). While the battery is much smaller, it is MUCH lighter and if you are fit, the battery may not matter. Plus, the expandable battery doesn't ruin the look since it fits like a water bottle.

View attachment 54258 View attachment 54259
Many thanks - I'll look into the Specialized

Many thanks - I'll look into the Specialized
You might also look into the "heavy" Specialized Turbo Vado (I greatly recommend the higher-end models such as 5.0 because of larger battery and high-end components). Allant+ is the direct competitor of the Vado. If you are not particularly fit, the "full" Vado would give you far more power, and the weight is comparable with that of the Allant 9.9. The Vado is the only mid-drive motor e-bike known to me with a completely silent motor!

Your concern was the riding position. With the Vado, you can easily add an 80 mm stem riser (it costs pennies...) and you'll be riding in a quite relaxed position. I have come through all of this :D

You might also look into the "heavy" Specialized Turbo Vado (I greatly recommend the higher-end models such as 5.0 because of larger battery and high-end components). Allant+ is the direct competitor of the Vado. If you are not particularly fit, the "full" Vado would give you far more power, and the weight is comparable with that of the Allant 9.9. The Vado is the only mid-drive motor e-bike known to me with a completely silent motor!

Your concern was the riding position. With the Vado, you can easily add an 80 mm stem riser (it costs pennies...) and you'll be riding in a quite relaxed position. I have come through all of this :D
Thanks Stefan - I'll have a look

On a ride now. It's the Speed version of the 2017 Vado, upgraded to the 2020 electronics (the bike is almost the same as the 2020 Vado 6.0 now, only it has
a rigid fork). I'm in Poland.
IMG_20200604_114304-01.jpeg

IMG_20200604_114657-01.jpeg

MGWhippet, When you are going down hill at 40 mph is the motor off? I think they are governed to 28 and it feels like it is holding back. I wonder if that does any harm to the motor. I usually turn the motor off downhill and I can notice it is smoother and I can go faster. However, I've been in one major wreck in my 30 plus years of riding and find 30mph especially downhill is fast enough for me...

I agree the 9.9 looks cleaner but once you get panniers on and other additions like extra lights and stuff it tends to look different. Plus red really shines and when I'm out riding I can't see it anyway :)
Yes, the motor is off at anything above 28, and I often turn it off when I have big downhill stretches to help maximize range and keep my heart rate up. Honestly class 1 would be good enough for most of my riding as no way do I go over going up hill and the drag of being upright at my size is large. Still it is fun when I opt to go in the upper power levels which I do when I am short on time or have over fatigued myself from other activities. I do feel for our Overseas counter parts as their class one is significantly slower than ours.

Yes, the motor is off at anything above 28, and I often turn it off when I have big downhill stretches to help maximize range and keep my heart rate up. Honestly class 1 would be good enough for most of my riding as no way do I go over going up hill and the drag of being upright at my size is large. Still it is fun when I opt to go in the upper power levels which I do when I am short on time or have over fatigued myself from other activities. I do feel for our Overseas counter parts as their class one is significantly slower than ours.
I do have fun when someone tries to steal my draft thinking he's keeping up with an ebike. Turn the motor on and like the Millennium Falcon in hyperdrive he becomes a tiny dot in my mirror! 😂

On a ride now. It's the Speed version of the 2017 Vado, upgraded to the 2020 electronics (the bike is almost the same as the 2020 Vado 6.0 now, only it has
a rigid fork). I'm in Poland.
Nice bike but looking at the reviews on the Specialized website these have issues as well with several saying they've had their motors and batteries replaced with issues still continuing. It will probably take a few more years to make these more reliable. I went with Trek (after trying a cheap brand just to get into it) because I still have my Madone from 2005. It's like cameras, most use either Nikon or Canon, both will be around at least for the rest of my lifetime, all have issues it's just a matter who you prefer to deal with.

Back