Experienced biker but new to e-bikes

Paul3085

Region
USA
Hello everyone. This site is amazing, a bit overwhelming also. And apologies for questions that have been asked and answered. I’m a recreational biker, and at 68, I’m looking at e-bikes for fun and longer rides than I usually do (20-30 miles around the lake and river trails in Minneapolis/St. Paul, as well as rail trails out of town). Some hills, but we’re relatively flat here, and I’m almost always on paved trails or streets. We have lots of good LBS, and I’ve been looking mainly at some Treks and Gazelles. I don’t think I need a class 3, longer range is more appealing to me, and comfort for longer rides.

I’ve been looking at the Gazelle Utimate C8, and the Medeo T10. Also, the Trek Verve +3 and the Allant +7. I have yet to check out Specialized e-bikes. We can’t do test rides for another month or so until our snow melts, but I’ve been reading and visiting shops. The belt drive and in-gear hub on the C8 is intriguing, but the Medeo weighs less and has more torque in the motor. The Verve +3 is appealing, I like the step-through for ease of getting off such a heavy bike. Lots of different variables, and until I test ride test the bikes, it’s hard to narrow it down. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!

If you want comfort on paved road and trails, I suggest testing some full suspension models as it will make quite a difference...

If Full suspension becomes appealing, In step thru there aren't many models in the US.
The reference is the Riese & Mueler Homage which is also available with IGH and carbon belt (if that is of interest).

But there are also some low MTb frame types like the Trek Powerfly FS (4 or 9 for street equipped).
In Europe and hopefully coming to the US, Giant has a similar model with IGH named the stormguard E+

If Full suspension is not an issue, Specialized has the Como with or without IGH (como 5 IGH), and R&M has the Nevo 3

Last edited:
I'd suggest buying the best bike you can afford. The best bike is the one you like best riding. Some buy a lower end ebike, and then improve and/or trade up (or park it in the garage). Others, like myself, get in cheap by buying junk and try to fix it. That's how I got to EBR, and thanks HarryS for the help with an Oslo.

With my approach I figure I'm going to spend something like $5k plus before I put together my "perfect" ebike, which will be around the cost of a quality store bought ebike. Though, I must say, building your own ebike can be quite educational.

If you want comfort on paved road and trails, I suggest testing some full suspension models as it will make quite a difference...

If Full suspension becomes appealing, In step thru there aren't many models in the US.
The reference is the Riese & Mueler Homage which is also available with IGH and carbon belt (if that is of interest).

But there are also some low MTb frame types like the Trek Powerfly FS (4 or 9 for street equipped).
In Europe and hopefully coming to the US, Giant has a similar model with IGH named the stormguard E+

If Full suspension is not an issue, Specialized has the Como with or without IGH (como 5 IGH), and R&M has the Nevo 3
Thanks, I’ll check out the Riese & Mueller. The Gazelle Ultimate C8 is step-through and has full suspension I believe, as does the Specialized Vado 4.0 step-through, so I’ll check that out too.

You won't find a dog in any of the 4 brands you mentioned. Buy what you like. IGH+ belt gets you out of the 1000-2000 mile chain replacement chore of mid-drives with 9-10-11 speed chains. I just bought an IGH to solve a shift cable problem, and the Shimano Alfine specifies pro disassembly for lubrication yearly! My nearest Alfine pro shop is probably Chicagoland 160 miles from here. Looks like I can't use Alfine with a twist shifter either, which solved the thumb joint problem I had with trigger shifters (both shimano & sram). A big cyst grew above my r. thumb joint age 62 riding 2000 miles a year with trigger shifters. ALfine 8 is known on the MTB forum for not leaking oil, which 2 other brands IGH do.
There are imitation steel & aluminum parts in e-bikes at the $800-$2500 price points. Parts that stretch, fracture, require constant adjusment. I managed to get a real metal bike for $2000, my Yuba non-electric, but its stretch frame is for shopping off the bike, not everybody's goal. I electrified for $840. With 8 speed chain (wider than 9) and a hub drive, my chains last ~5000 miles. I broke a shimano 6 speed rear axle at my elephantine 160 lb (diamondback MTB), and a 7 speed shimano rear axle (Pacific Quantum MTB) came unscrewed & dropped the balls on the road at ~4000 miles. Kiddie quality parts for $200 bikes from the discount store. The shimano 8 speed derailleur rear axle on the yuba has ~10000 miles, so far no problems.
Other brands with low numbers of posts on the known problems & solutions brand forums are Kona (0) & Blix (1)

Last edited:
I've owned Giants, Trek, and Specialized e-bikes. For the money, the Specialized Vado 4 is hard to beat. I own a Trek 8s, but you could spend less and take a look at the Trek 7s. I prefer the Class 3 bikes, just for the higher speed support (28mph). Hope that helps...and happy hunting.

Full suspension in a recreational e-bike intended for riding pavement is an overkill, making the e-bike unnecessarily heavy and expensive.

Looking at the Paul's requirements, Specialized Turbo Como 4.0 or 5.0, chain/derailleur or IGH version fit the bill. Como is a low-step comfortable e-bike with the same specs as "slightly less comfortable" Vado Step-Through. Both share powerful mid-drive motors, and the large 710 Wh battery will make the owner free of the "range anxiety".

Trek Verve+ 3 has only a 400 Wh battery, and even 30 miles in unfavourable conditions might be problematic. Gazelle e-bikes often come with a 500 Wh battery that typically is good for 30 miles but 40 mile ride is closer to the battery range. With the 710 Wh battery, the Como user's mind is trouble free for at least 50 miles, and I estimate a 60 mile ride is doable in the Eco mode on Como even for a rider with weak legs. The battery is the most expensive component of a premium e-bike.

Como & Vado are equipped with a simple suspension seat-post (Verve or Gazelles do not even have that). That seat-post can be replaced with a well known and excellent suspension seat post such as Cirrus Cycles Kinekt 2.1, and still the cost would be far lower than for a Riese & Muller FS e-bike.

Bike full suspension adds for traction control in rough terrain, and the comfort added is just a bonus. Suspension fork and seat-post feel very similarly to the full suspension comfort wise.

I've owned Giants, Trek, and Specialized e-bikes. For the money, the Specialized Vado 4 is hard to beat. I own a Trek 8s, but you could spend less and take a look at the Trek 7s. I prefer the Class 3 bikes, just for the higher speed support (28mph). Hope that helps...and happy hunting.

Thanks! I’ll be taking a look at the Vado 4.0 today.

Full suspension in a recreational e-bike intended for riding pavement is an overkill, making the e-bike unnecessarily heavy and expensive.

Looking at the Paul's requirements, Specialized Turbo Como 4.0 or 5.0, chain/derailleur or IGH version fit the bill. Como is a low-step comfortable e-bike with the same specs as "slightly less comfortable" Vado Step-Through. Both share powerful mid-drive motors, and the large 710 Wh battery will make the owner free of the "range anxiety".

Trek Verve+ 3 has only a 400 Wh battery, and even 30 miles in unfavourable conditions might be problematic. Gazelle e-bikes often come with a 500 Wh battery that typically is good for 30 miles but 40 mile ride is closer to the battery range. With the 710 Wh battery, the Como user's mind is trouble free for at least 50 miles, and I estimate a 60 mile ride is doable in the Eco mode on Como even for a rider with weak legs. The battery is the most expensive component of a premium e-bike.

Como & Vado are equipped with a simple suspension seat-post (Verve or Gazelles do not even have that). That seat-post can be replaced with a well known and excellent suspension seat post such as Cirrus Cycles Kinekt 2.1, and still the cost would be far lower than for a Riese & Muller FS e-bike.

Bike full suspension adds for traction control in rough terrain, and the comfort added is just a bonus. Suspension fork and seat-post feel very similarly to the full suspension comfort wise.
Thanks Stefan. I definitely need to take a look at the specialized e-bikes.

Don't get hung up on battery size, the price difference between spec levels will cover cost of 2nd battery if you need it. Smaller batteries are also easier to transport.

The feature rich bikes are worth extra money ie mudguards, kickstand, lights and rack. You will need pannier for rack but it means bike carries the stuff (eg tools, clothes, spare battery) not your back.

I think you are looking at some great choices. I went the Gazelle route and have been super happy! Other than the MIK rack system, Suntour suspension seat post and panniers, mine is stock. No complaints from me at all.

Oops!! I forgot I changed the pedals too.

Attachments

• 27578C7C-1A9B-44F2-902D-047E05549E5C.jpeg
    27578C7C-1A9B-44F2-902D-047E05549E5C.jpeg
    701.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 7A885E80-3933-40B6-88DC-2A310A0CF043.jpeg
    7A885E80-3933-40B6-88DC-2A310A0CF043.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 347D58A6-093D-46C9-8877-844AC60F09A2.jpeg
    347D58A6-093D-46C9-8877-844AC60F09A2.jpeg
    1,009.2 KB · Views: 161
Hello everyone. This site is amazing, a bit overwhelming also. And apologies for questions that have been asked and answered. I’m a recreational biker, and at 68, I’m looking at e-bikes for fun and longer rides than I usually do (20-30 miles around the lake and river trails in Minneapolis/St. Paul, as well as rail trails out of town). Some hills, but we’re relatively flat here, and I’m almost always on paved trails or streets. We have lots of good LBS, and I’ve been looking mainly at some Treks and Gazelles. I don’t think I need a class 3, longer range is more appealing to me, and comfort for longer rides.

I’ve been looking at the Gazelle Utimate C8, and the Medeo T10. Also, the Trek Verve +3 and the Allant +7. I have yet to check out Specialized e-bikes. We can’t do test rides for another month or so until our snow melts, but I’ve been reading and visiting shops. The belt drive and in-gear hub on the C8 is intriguing, but the Medeo weighs less and has more torque in the motor. The Verve +3 is appealing, I like the step-through for ease of getting off such a heavy bike. Lots of different variables, and until I test ride test the bikes, it’s hard to narrow it down. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!
Hello,

I especially like the opening comment from 'Gromike'...Who wrote "I'd suggest buying the best bike you can afford. The best bike is the one you like best riding"

My story.... Six years ago I visited my Local Bike Shop. A Trek XM700 Commuter e-bike on the sales floor caught my eye. I'd seen it from prior visits.
My Sales Rep from a prior bike purchase said "Why don't you take it out for a ride" I was excited, but bit hesitant because I was I was 'afraid' I might like : ).
I went for a 20 minute ride. Mind you I didn't know an e-bike from a pound of cheese.

It took me all of 15 minutes to realize that Trek XM700 was for me. I road for another 15 ish minutes, returned to the bike shop and bought the bike
on the spot. Six years later, every time I ride is like that first test ride long ago...Best money I've ever spent ! When I started my goal was Rails to Trails.
As wonderful as my commuter bike and after many trail miles I decided it's better suited on the road...

Went back to my dealer for a suggestion on e-bike a little more trail worthy. His suggestion, a Trek Powerfly7 E-MTB, but there wasn't one in stock.
I trusted and valued my dealers opinion. I said, order one, I'll take it. Who buys a bike without riding it ? Duuh ....I did and ditto. The Powerfly7 is an
absolutely fantastic bike. Once again best money ever spent. I'd do it all over again in a second ! I was 70 when I started this adventure and
I'm not done yet. I've just turned 10,000 trouble free miles.

I share with the hopes of perhaps making your decision a little easier.
As 'Gromike' wrote..."I'd suggest buying the best bike you can afford. The best bike is the one you like best riding"

P.S. If your curious, below is Court's 2016 review of my bike... Note the size of the motor. Looks likes something you'd
find in a washing machine : )

All the best,
John

Hey John, good to see you again!

I had the same experience buying my XM700 in 2017, although I had already bought my first “starter ebike the year prior. Saw it in the store and took a ride around the neighborhood. The brakes were the most amazing thing, I couldn’t believe how it handled and STOPPED! Went home, back the next day and grabbed it. I rode it 7000 happy miles over the next few years until I moved to my Giant Toughroad, mostly for the drop bars and a little more robustness in the woods. Still have it, still love it, have had a few others along the way as well, but I have to say my best biking experience (in the ebike era) was riding across NY on the Erie Canal route on that XM700.

Highly recommend a stepthrough. I was after crossbar version for more attachment points but out of stock so bought step through. So much easier to get on and off. When starting sometimes scoot then slide my right leg through gap, reverse for stops.

Hey John, good to see you again!

I had the same experience buying my XM700 in 2017, although I had already bought my first “starter ebike the year prior. Saw it in the store and took a ride around the neighborhood. The brakes were the most amazing thing, I couldn’t believe how it handled and STOPPED! Went home, back the next day and grabbed it. I rode it 7000 happy miles over the next few years until I moved to my Giant Toughroad, mostly for the drop bars and a little more robustness in the woods. Still have it, still love it, have had a few others along the way as well, but I have to say my best biking experience (in the ebike era) was riding across NY on the Erie Canal route on that XM700.
Hi Dave,

Great to hear from you ! Us Trek XM700 faithful have to stick together, not many of us. I remember your Erie Canal ride.
That must have been quite an adventure. You mentioned you've moved to a Giant Toughroad
for a little more robustness. That is a very nice bike ! How ironic, I'm considering a Trek Allant+ 7s for a step up in torque.
63Nm for the XM700 vs 85 with the Allant, but the more I think about the more I don't want to 'give up' my XM700....Hmmm ??

Stay in touch,
John

P.S. Anyone out there riding a Trek Allant+ 7s ?

Yes, I ride the 7s. 6,500 miles. Upgraded to Class 3 from a Verve+3. Chose 7s vs. 8s for front suspension and preferable rear carrier. Via maintenance have upgraded several components similar to 8s including 625w RIB.
I like Treks but have also owned Specialized and grade them comparable.

Hi Dave,

Great to hear from you ! Us Trek XM700 faithful have to stick together, not many of us. I remember your Erie Canal ride.
That must have been quite an adventure. You mentioned you've moved to a Giant Toughroad
for a little more robustness. That is a very nice bike ! How ironic, I'm considering a Trek Allant+ 7s for a step up in torque.
63Nm for the XM700 vs 85 with the Allant, but the more I think about the more I don't want to 'give up' my XM700....Hmmm ??

Stay in touch,
John

Not a Trek 7s, but an 8s. Great bike with gobs of torque and great range with the 625w battery. Good hunting....

Yes, I ride the 7s. 6,500 miles. Upgraded to Class 3 from a Verve+3. Chose 7s vs. 8s for front suspension and preferable rear carrier. Via maintenance have upgraded several components similar to 8s including 625w RIB.
I like Treks but have also owned Specialized and grade them comparable.
Sparky731,

Thanks, 6500 miles on your 'clock' speaks volumes. I agree with you on the rear carrier and front suspension on your 7s. On my XM700 I replaced the stock front fork
'springy thing' that came on the bike with a Rock Shox Recon Silver and was extremely pleased.... The upgraded 625w RIB you did is very interesting.
I like that a lot. This may be a small 7s complaint, but I don't like the 'constant' on head and tail light with no option to flash. I really prefer and use
the flash option on my other standalone lights.... I think it's time to take a 7s test ride : )

To be fair to other Posters I guess I should have posted my question/comments on the Trek Forum, but perhaps someone might be considering a Trek Allant 7s ?

John

Back