Advice on L vs. XL sizes in Allant+

Nonlinear

Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for a new commuter bike. I'm planning to get either an Allant+ 7 or 8. I really want the Allant+ 8, but they only have these in XL size where I live (Vancouver), so I'm also considering the Allant+ 7, which I can only find in size L. I've put a deposit on both bike, but so far have only rode the Allant+ 8 (waiting for the shop to build the Allant+ 7.

I am 6'1", with a 33 5/8" inseam (measured against a wall with a book pulled tight up into my crotch). The Trek bike fit guide for city/commuter bikes says an XL would fit me.

Today I test ride the Allant+ 8. The first thing I noticed was that, while I can stand over the bike with both feet on the ground, my penis and testicles touch/press on the top bar (apologies for the vulgar language). However, I can ride the bike and it feels comfortable.

The Trek guy told me that on commuters and road bikes, the height isn't so important, but what is most important is the reach. He said that on the L, the handlebars are going to be 1-1.5" closer to the seat. I tried holding my hands back that far while riding the bike, and it puts me in a more upright position, but it doesn't feel uncomfortable.

I'm just wondering if anyone can comment on the L vs. XL sizes, and whether touching the top bar is OK given that I can still stand over the bike? What is the best way to decide on what size fits me best? Unfortunately, I can try the bikes side-by-side, as they're located at two shops that are an hour car drive apart.

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for a new commuter bike. I'm planning to get either an Allant+ 7 or 8. I really want the Allant+ 8, but they only have these in XL size where I live (Vancouver), so I'm also considering the Allant+ 7, which I can only find in size L. I've put a deposit on both bike, but so far have only rode the Allant+ 8 (waiting for the shop to build the Allant+ 7.

I am 6'1", with a 33 5/8" inseam (measured against a wall with a book pulled tight up into my crotch). The Trek bike fit guide for city/commuter bikes says an XL would fit me.

Today I test ride the Allant+ 8. The first thing I noticed was that, while I can stand over the bike with both feet on the ground, my penis and testicles touch/press on the top bar (apologies for the vulgar language). However, I can ride the bike and it feels comfortable.

The Trek guy told me that on commuters and road bikes, the height isn't so important, but what is most important is the reach. He said that on the L, the handlebars are going to be 1-1.5" closer to the seat. I tried holding my hands back that far while riding the bike, and it puts me in a more upright position, but it doesn't feel uncomfortable.

I'm just wondering if anyone can comment on the L vs. XL sizes, and whether touching the top bar is OK given that I can still stand over the bike? What is the best way to decide on what size fits me best? Unfortunately, I can try the bikes side-by-side, as they're located at two shops that are an hour car drive apart.

Thanks!
I went with an XL rather than the recommended L when I bought my Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon 3 as that was all I could find. I am 6'1" with a 32" inseam and do "touch" the top tube in the same way you do, just enough to feel it but not enough to bother me.

I have a good friend who is a bike fitter and he assured me that we could make it fit just fine. The reach is the critical element that cannot be fudged but it is fine for me on this bike. Reach can be adjusted with the saddle fore and aft adjustment as well as different stem angles and lengths. I find the bike superbly comfortable in all other respects, save mounting as I am 70 years old and swinging my left leg over the saddle on such a tall bike is something I need to focus on every time I mount up. PS I also own an Allant 9.9 in size 58 and it feels comfortably small to me now after riding the Cannondale.

Hello everyone,

Thanks!
I went with the Stagger. It solved the stand over problem. You can get a lot of relief with the handlebars. I raised my 2” and shortened my stem. You can lengthen your stem. I personally would not purchase a bike that while standing my gear touched the bar in the way you describe. I would go for the L if they showed me they could make the handlebar fit.

I also bought the stagger model. (see avatar) I am not at all comfortable being so close to the top bar.

I'm 5-10 and ride a large with the seat about 4" up. You will want the XL.
Interesting, thanks!

I just received an email yesterday that the shop has built the L Allant+ 7. I'm planning to give it a test ride tomorrow afternoon, so I'll get to check the fit firsthand. Thankfully, they do have an XL Allant+ 8 on hold for me at the other shop!

Interesting, thanks!

I just received an email yesterday that the shop has built the L Allant+ 7. I'm planning to give it a test ride tomorrow afternoon, so I'll get to check the fit firsthand. Thankfully, they do have an XL Allant+ 8 on hold for me at the other shop!
Best of luck! Hope you find one you love!

BTW, just remember that there is also a Bontrager adjustable handlebar stem (part #5264268) that your dealer can order that can help you sit more upright. We put one on my wife’s Allant+7 and it made all the difference.
77C8AB73-51B3-47A4-8D1A-7A1E966976F2.jpeg

Dallant, that looks like an interesting stem. Would it fit an allant+ 8? I'm getting hand tingling and neck pain if I'm on the bike for more than about 90 minutes, and I think higher bars would help. I've tried a Ritchie adjustable stem, but it doesn't raise the bars as much as this would.

Incidentally, I see the 2022 Allant+ 7 bikes all come with this type of stem as standard (here in the UK, anyway)

BTW, just remember that there is also a Bontrager adjustable handlebar stem (part #5264268) that your dealer can order that can help you sit more upright. We put one on my wife’s Allant+7 and it made all the difference.View attachment 94731
Also, do you need to get a new (longer) stem bolt to fit this? Ta! (I'm assuming stem bolt goes down through a hole top left in picture)

Dallant, that looks like an interesting stem. Would it fit an allant+ 8? I'm getting hand tingling and neck pain if I'm on the bike for more than about 90 minutes, and I think higher bars would help. I've tried a Ritchie adjustable stem, but it doesn't raise the bars as much as this would.

Incidentally, I see the 2022 Allant+ 7 bikes all come with this type of stem as standard (here in the UK, anyway)
My stem. 8S

Attachments

• 1B25B6C9-9D1F-4845-BDF7-FB71BFB550D1.jpeg
    1B25B6C9-9D1F-4845-BDF7-FB71BFB550D1.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 261

It should but I’m not positive. Your Trek LBS has to order it as I could not find it to order anywhere. Best of luck!

My stem. 8S
Hiya... Thanks. Yes I know I could fit a stem extender, but I'm not such a big fan of them. The stem that dallant showed is interesting, because unlike most variable angle stems it has an incorporated riser section first. It looks like dallant's stem actually replaces the steering tube cap that the stem bolt holds in place. Sorry I'm not explaining it very well!

Looks a bit different. The one we have has the cable management part in front and bolts up in the rear.
Ah, well spotted. This must the one you have - twice the price and not available until the end of september. I don't need the cable management, as on the allant 8 the cables come out above the forks, so maybe I can get away with the cheaper one...

1627648579141.png

Ah, well spotted. This must the one you have - twice the price and not available until the end of september. I don't need the cable management, as on the allant 8 the cables come out above the forks, so maybe I can get away with the cheaper one...

View attachment 94865
Yeah, we don’t even use the “cable management”. I’d buy the cheaper one if it fits. I’m a bit PO‘d that there is a cheaper one and that you have it available to order. I never knew. BTW, what’s the part number for the cheaper one?
Frankly, I get POd about a variety of screws Bontrager/Trek/Bosch likes to apply to Americans. For instance, the UK version of the Rail 5 I just bought comes with the 625wh battery where the U.S. version has the 500.

Yeah, we don’t even use the “cable management”. I’d buy the cheaper one if it fits. I’m a bit PO‘d that there is a cheaper one and that you have it available to order. I never knew. BTW, what’s the part number for the cheaper one?
Frankly, I get POd about a variety of screws Bontrager/Trek/Bosch likes to apply to Americans. For instance, the UK version of the Rail 5 I just bought comes with the 625wh battery where the U.S. version has the 500.
Sorry, none of the sites I've visited give a part number! For me, searching for 'Bontrager adjustable blendr stem' finds it, wheeras if I add the word 'integrated' I find yours.
Re US having a worse situation than UK for Trek etc, I think the actual bikes are cheaper over there? A new Allant+ 7 (not the speed version) is $4,800 (equivalent) here - I suspect quite a bit less over there?

Sorry, none of the sites I've visited give a part number! For me, searching for 'Bontrager adjustable blendr stem' finds it, wheeras if I add the word 'integrated' I find yours.
Re US having a worse situation than UK for Trek etc, I think the actual bikes are cheaper over there? A new Allant+ 7 (not the speed version) is $4,800 (equivalent) here - I suspect quite a bit less over there?
Well, even if I had the part number, I couldn’t order it!
Yes, the online retail for a new 2022 Allant+7 is $3700.

I hope I'm not too late on the reply. I'm 6'2" and recently bought a Trek Allant+ 8S. I went to several shops locally when I was contemplating buying the bike. I wear a 34" inseam pants and either bike (L or XL) fit me but I ended up getting the Large. With the XL similar to your experience, when i stood over the bar there was some clearance but it wasn't a whole lot (my parts did clear the top bar but it was closer than i originally thought it would be).

I ended up going with the large. With the seat raised, it's very comfortable . I could have gone either way and gotten the L or XL, but the Large does fit quiet well and is comfortable, even for long rides (i've done a 60+ mile ride on the bike). I figured that the large frame fits well, and is a little lighter, plus the sales people at two of the stores i visited said the Large fit well in their opinion. no need to go for the extra weight of the XL.

i hope this info helps.

good luck with your purchase.

Last edited:
Back