Thoughts on Allant+ stagger frames?

Nonlinear

Hey all, I've been looking for an Allant+ 7 or 8 in size L or XL. I'm 6'1", so right on the border between the L and XL according to Trek's website, but based on inseam, the website suggests a L. My inseam would need to be an inch or so higher to me to be on an XL, according to the fit guide.

I really want the 8 over the 7, but unfortunately I've only been able to find the 7 in a L, and an 8 in XL. I've ridden both. It was a couple of weeks between riding the two, so I haven't been able to make a side-by-side comparison, but I do think that the large fits me a bit better, because I sit a bit more upright. On the 8, I was bent forward a bit more, and my crotch also hit the top tube (I can stand both feet on the ground though).

But today, the dealer told me they found an 8 in size L. I was ecstatic and put a deposit on it, but then they phoned me back and told me it's a stagger frame. I couldn't be more dissapointed... I MUCH prefer the looks of the regular frame over the stagger, and I'm a younger guy, and I just feel like the stagger frame is made for folks who have trouble stepping over the top tube (which I don't have, so the stagger is unnecessary). I haven't seen the bike in person, but I will on Saturday.

So, I'm wondering what folks thing about the stagger frame. What is the purpose of this style, and what are the advantages and disadvantages? Strangely, the Trek website doesn't say anything about this! Does anyone have a stagger frame? What are your thoughts on it?

I'm planning to ride all three bikes this Saturday, and to make a decision then. I hope one of these works for me. This is the most expensive bike I've ever bought, and I don't want to compromise. My other option is to wait to see if Trek announces a 2022 Allant+ 8, and order a L then (I find it strange they haven't announced it yet, I hope they're not discontinuing it!)

Edit: I should also mention I'm planning to use this as a commuter. I can see some advantages to the stagger frame for commuting. For example, if I want to commute in pants, it might be easier to mount the stagger. Also, I currently commute on a 1999 Trek 6000, and carry a pannier on one side that can get heavy at times, making the bike hard to tip and mount.

I do have a 100 m steep hill climb on the way to work (this is why I'm buying an ebike). I've read that step through frames are weaker, and aren't as stiff when climbing hills.. Can anyone comment on how the stagger performs at climbing steep hills?

Last edited:
So, I'm wondering what folks thing about the stagger frame. What isnthe purpose of this style, and what are the advantages and disadvantages? Strangely, the Trek website doesn't say anything about this! Does anyone have a stagger frame? What are your thoughts on it?
I cannot say for Trek as I don't own one. However I'm experienced with the Specialized Vado 5.0 Step-Through, (which is a competing product to Allant+ 8, and a very similar e-bike).
There are simple no disadvantages with this type of frame, therefore Trek needs not to mention anything. The Big Three bike brands are extremely experienced with bike and e-bike design, and that's the daily bread for them.

There is of course one big advantage: It is easy to get on the bike, and it is even possible to get off the bike by retracting your foot over the top tube. If there is any disadvantage, it is the tight spacing between the top and bottom tube of the frame. Meaning, you'll need a side-loading water-bottle cage, and forget using the frame bag.

The only question is: Will you feel good riding that type of frame? I am extremely happy with the Step-Through but you might not.
I do have a 100 m steep hill climb on the way to work (this is why I'm buying an ebike). I've read that step through frames are weaker, and aren't as stiff when climbing hills.. Can anyone comment on how the stagger performs at climbing steep hills?
Step-Through frames made by leading bike brands are not any weaker than the Diamond ones. They might offer slightly better vertical compliance, which is a good thing. No issues with climbing. When I started riding my Vado ST, I weighed 107.5 kg, and now am at 89. I have ridden for almost 8400 km on my ST e-bike, including mountain roads.

No worries.

1627625804453.png

Trek vs. Specialized. See how similar these step-through e-bikes are.

Last edited:
I'm in Langley. There's a pretty good chance I would have gotten an 8 if they could have got me one with the stagger frame. They couldn't find one.
The 7 doesn't come in a stagger frame and I preferred the rigid forks of the 8.
I'd spring for the stagger since it's available.

CN

You definitely don’t need an extra large. I’m 6’2” and have an Allant 9s in extra large, I’m on the border, and if I had my druthers I’d at least have gotten a stagger since with a trunk bag I have to swing my leg high. Also as a commuter it’d be easier putting your foot down at lights

Personally I'd walk before owning the stagger frame, it's just not for me. If you want a normal frame, wait for it if you settle then every time you look at your $5k bike you will question yourself. But I also would have been disappointed buying a 7s in blue then finding out about the 8s in red. If I'm spending the money i. I'm getting what I want and only doing it once.

Personally I'd walk before owning the stagger frame, it's just not for me. If you want a normal frame, wait for it if you settle then every time you look at your $5k bike you will question yourself. But I also would have been disappointed buying a 7s in blue then finding out about the 8s in red. If I'm spending the money i. I'm getting what I want and only doing it once.
Yeah, that's exactly how I'm feeling. I don't want to compromise anything at this price point (it's a bit of money!). I don't *need* this bike right now, and I'd rather wait for the right one. I just wish Trek would announce the 2022 Allant+ 8. They have various models of the 8 on websites for other countries, but they haven't announced the 8 in US or Canada for 2022. I hope they're not discontinuing it. But I just wish they would be open about it, I don't get the secrecy. It's so stupid.

It’s just a matter of what you want/need and are willing to wait for. The +7 diamond/high step is a fine bike. What specifically appears about the 8? The stagger is a good frame from what I’ve heard, which isn’t much. I doubt Trek is being secret about it as supply lines and other production issues are in question generally.
Who knows what availability will be like in the next year or two? What will happen with price? Given you don’t seem to need an ebike, you have the luxury of time on your side. Best of luck!

Hey all, bit of an update! I got an email this morning from the shop that had the L Allant+ 8 in the stagger frame, and apparently their inventory was wrong - it was in fact a standard frame! I was BEYOND excited, because this is the bike I want. I went to give it a test ride, and it was awesome, except there were a few issues. First, the rear fender appears to have taken a hit, and has a large scratch, and is bent to one side, so the light is crooked and the end of the fender is a couple of inches to one side (it looks very off center versus the wheel). Second, one of the two screws on the Bosch smartphone holder is missing. Third, whoever set up the bike did it incorrectly, and the cables are kind of hanging around messily in front, the light isn't in the center but rather on the side of the handlebar, and is obscured by the brake cable. There are some additional scratches on the front fender, and the front fender is also bent, but it's not nearly as bad as the rear fender.

I could probably overlook the scratches and the slight bend on the front fender, but I asked if they could re-setup the cables and the light, as well as replace the rear fender. They checked with Trek and apparently the rear fender will not be available until December, but they would not commit to replacing it with a new one. They are going to check with Trek to see if Trek can warranty it. So we are waiting for a week or so to hear back about this. They offered to take $165 off the price of the bike if I took it as is, but at this price point I'm just not willing to compromise. So fingers are crossed that Trek will warranty the fender. Otherwise, I will just wait until these bikes are more widely available, and order one then. I'm not in the position where I *need* a bike right now, and I'm just not willing to compromise. I'm planning to have this bike for a long time (my daily commuter is a 1999 Trek 6000 that I bought new haha), and it will be with me in my office every day, so I'll be spending a lot of time looking at it. I know that a super crooked fender would bother me.

Anyway, just wanted to share. Here's hoping for some good news!

Last edited:
Glad you found the bike you want. Did you ride it? Sounds to me like the bike is used, and not nicely.
Did you notice how many miles it has on it? This is another reason to appreciate the +7 with it’s plastic fenders as they don’t bend.

Hey all, bit of an update! I got an email this morning from the shop that had the L Allant+ 8 in the stagger frame, and apparently their inventory was wrong - it was in fact a standard frame! I was BEYOND excited, because this is the bike I want. I went to give it a test ride, and it was awesome, except there were a few issues. First, the rear fender appears to have taken a hit, and has a large scratch, and is bent to one side, so the light is crooked and the end of the fender is a couple of inches to one side (it looks very off center versus the wheel). Second, one of the two screws on the Bosch smartphone holder is missing. Third, whoever set up the bike did it incorrectly, and the cables are kind of hanging around messily in front, the light isn't in the center but rather on the side of the handlebar, and is obscured by the brake cable. There are some additional scratches on the front fender, and the front fender is also bent, but it's not nearly as bad as the rear fender.

I could probably overlook the scratches and the slight bend on the front fender, but I asked if they could re-setup the cables and the light, as well as replace the rear fender. They checked with Trek and apparently the rear fender will not be available until December, but they would not commit to replacing it with a new one. They are going to check with Trek to see if Trek can warranty it. So we are waiting for a week or so to hear back about this. They offered to take $165 off the price of the bike if I took it as is, but at this price point I'm just not willing to compromise. So fingers are crossed that Trek will warranty the fender. Otherwise, I will just wait until these bikes are more widely available, and order one then. I'm not in the position where I *need* a bike right now, and I'm just not willing to compromise. I'm planning to have this bike for a long time (my daily commuter is a 1999 Trek 6000 that I bought new haha), and it will be with me in my office every day, so I'll be spending a lot of time looking at it. I know that a super crooked fender would bother me.

Hang in there.
Get the bike you want.
You will love it!!

Glad you found the bike you want. Did you ride it? Sounds to me like the bike is used, and not nicely.
Did you notice how many miles it has on it? This is another reason to appreciate the +7 with it’s plastic fenders as they don’t bend.
Yeah, they said it was built this morning, but it sure looks like it's been used and banged around quite a bit to me. I didn't check how many miles were in it - not sure how to do that on the Bosch controller.

This shows the horrible state of the industry right now. "ya it's built wrong, damaged, and we don't care, take it or leave it" I think it's the contempt they have for any customer who isn't buying a top end race bike. They think the public is so stupid they won't know better, and most they are right. If this is how they market a new bike it tells you a lot about the support you'll get later.

Have they installed latest update? Call the shop and ask them for the mileage and/or a printout of the diagnostic. I’d also want to have any future warranty in writing. Given how damaged the fenders are, I wouldn’t believe it was built this morning and I’d really check the wheels for true & spokes for any breakage.

Why wouldn't Trek go good on it? You're supposed to be getting a new bike, not a used one, are you not?
The damage is the dealer's fault or Trek's, not yours. Maybe the bike is a returned bike from someone who pranged it? I would think there ought to be a deep discount on it if that were the case. You're paying for new, that's what they should supply you with. CN

Why wouldn't Trek go good on it? You're supposed to be getting a new bike, not a used one, are you not?
The damage is the dealer's fault or Trek's, not yours. Maybe the bike is a returned bike from someone who pranged it? I would think there ought to be a deep discount on it if that were the case. You're paying for new, that's what they should supply you with. CN
This sounds like the dealer to me. Could be a return which is why I’d want to see mileage/battery charge and agree on deep discount. Still want to see written terms of future warranty, especially on wheels/spokes.

This sounds like the dealer to me. Could be a return which is why I’d want to see mileage/battery charge and agree on deep discount. Still want to see written terms of future warranty, especially on wheels/spokes.
Yeah, the salesman said "maybe Trek has just been pushing out bikes with little QC due to the pandemic" (paraphrasing), but I agree with you that this seems like the damage happened at the dealer. I will ask for mileage... Does anyone know how to find the mileage on the smartphonehub? I can't seem to find instructions online.

Yeah, the salesman said "maybe Trek has just been pushing out bikes with little QC due to the pandemic" (paraphrasing), but I agree with you that this seems like the damage happened at the dealer. I will ask for mileage... Does anyone know how to find the mileage on the smartphonehub? I can't seem to find instructions online.
Well, it could be from shipping as far as the damage.

Yeah, the salesman said "maybe Trek has just been pushing out bikes with little QC due to the pandemic" (paraphrasing), but I agree with you that this seems like the damage happened at the dealer. I will ask for mileage... Does anyone know how to find the mileage on the smartphonehub? I can't seem to find instructions online

.Look on COBI and …I think…I’m away from bike. There is a gear or setup menu for name etc. Here it is though the help menu could give you more specific info. Perhaps top left

Back