Thoughts on Allant+ stagger frames?

I just heard back from the LBS that "the fender will not be warrantied as the condition is considered acceptable." I simply don't believe Trek would stand behind crooked, scratched fenders as "acceptable". And if so, Trek does not sound like a company I want to purchase another bike from (despite using a 1999 Trek 6000 as a commuter for the last 10 years or so, which I bought new off the showroom floor).

But I get the feeling this isn't Trek, but rather this particular LBS. I feel the LBS is not being honest with me... there was also screw missing from the smartphonehub, and the salesman said they have been getting a lot of smartphonehubs with only one screw. Yeah right LOL. He also told me the bike had just been built that morning, but it looked like it had been a demo or sitting on the showroom floor for quite some time. (I say this having test rode this bike 1 hour after I test road a brand new XL Allant+ 8 at a Trek Store, which had literally been built from a box, and which looked flawless). I also had to wait 3 weeks for the LBS to build an Allant+ 7 for me, but they were somehow able to ship the Allant+ 8 from their other location in a different city, and build it within 1 day? Sorry, I'm not buying that. They also set up the handlebars and cables completely wrong, and the handle bars were even scratched... I mean, come on!

The LBS told me they couldn't get a fender from Trek until December, but they were unwilling to order one and install it later. However, they did offer me $165 off the price of the bike. Why would they offer me money off, but not offer to replace the fender? I get the feeling they are unable to order the fender (indeed, Trek has no Allant+ 8 in the system at all), and this salesman is not being honest in order to deflect blame from the LBS. Trek is probably not warrantying it either because it's the LBS's fault (likely), or production shortages (also likely). At any rate, this salesman seems to be deceiving me into thinking this is normal, and that I'm the one being picky about bent and scratched fenders. LOL

At any rate, they will be refunding the deposit and I will wait until I can order an 2022 Allant+ 8, but I'll be purchasing it from the Trek Shop rather than the LBS, since I had a vastly better experience there. That is, unless I don't buy a different brand first... I've since been looking at some other brands including Riese & Müller (not convinced they are worth the extra expense though).

With the issues and responses you are getting I would not get this bike if it is not a Corp Trek shop. I am having issues with a Trek purchased from an independent shop now being fixed at a Corp shop. One of the issues is the Corp office has does not have access to this shops repair logs of my bike. They don’t realize how much I have been through already.

if they can’t fix a fender now how will they treat you when it doesn’t turn on one day?

With the issues and responses you are getting I would not get this bike if it is not a Corp Trek shop. I am having issues with a Trek purchased from an independent shop now being fixed at a Corp shop. One of the issues is the Corp office has does not have access to this shops repair logs of my bike. They don’t realize how much I have been through already.

if they can’t fix a fender now how will they treat you when it doesn’t turn on one day?

This sounds like a tough situation, I'm sorry to hear about this, but thanks for sharing your insight!

Back