Abus: their website shows no dealers in the US....

MAPC

...which clearly isn’t true. I’ve entered my ZIP (06820), my former ZIP (94062) and multiple city names that have been referenced by people here (DC, Seattle, etc) and it keeps coming up blank.
Would like to get the most basic Abus that can be keyed to match my soon-to-be Turbo Vado, and that will fit on the bike mounts.

Any guidance?

Not sure why this seems to be so hard.

...which clearly isn’t true. I’ve entered my ZIP (06820), my former ZIP (94062) and multiple city names that have been referenced by people here (DC, Seattle, etc) and it keeps coming up blank.
Would like to get the most basic Abus that can be keyed to match my soon-to-be Turbo Vado, and that will fit on the bike mounts.

Any guidance?

It doesn't seem functional. I think the key-alike from Abus may only be available for Bosch as Abus makes the Bosch locks. Perhaps @Chris Nolte can confirm this or correct me if I have it wrong. For finding a local Abus dealer, call some of the larger bike shops in your area. The shop less than 1 mile from my house (Mi) sell Abus products but does not show up on that dealer locator you referenced.

Not sure what’s up with the dealer locator, but technically any Abus dealer can order keyed alike locks. I’d be happy to help if you shoot us an email on propelbikes.com. We’re also in the process of building a keyed alike ordering page on our website to make this process easier.

Not sure what’s up with the dealer locator, but technically any Abus dealer can order keyed alike locks. I’d be happy to help if you shoot us an email on propelbikes.com. We’re also in the process of building a keyed alike ordering page on our website to make this process easier.
Thank you Chris.....I may reach out to you. I will have my bike (and key card) in a week or so. My concern is how to get the 4960 to fit on the Vado 4.0 frame. I don't have a lot of confidence in my mechanical ability to custom fit it. Will see if my LBS can install for me. If not, maybe I make the trip to Brooklyn and have you guys do it?

keyed alike is pretty much a joke. you have to buy a new lock for your bike to match a new lock or locks for your bike. the locks are very limited. to get a lower end U lock the best they can give matching keys for and a cafe lock to match my bike it would cost about 250.00 for 130.00 or so worth of lock.

Perhaps it is related to the CV-19 situation? On the opposite, the U.S. imports to Europe suddenly ceased to exist.

A disclaimer on Amazon.com:

1587322976633.png

keyed alike is pretty much a joke. you have to buy a new lock for your bike to match a new lock or locks for your bike. the locks are very limited. to get a lower end U lock the best they can give matching keys for and a cafe lock to match my bike it would cost about 250.00 for 130.00 or so worth of lock.

What you have written isn't true in many cases (wasn't in my case) and it depends on the lock cylinder your bike comes with. My Trek, because it is Bosch, has an Abus cylinder and came with an Abus keycard. So all I had to do was order a lock and I think the up-charge for the keyed-alike lock was about $15. My Tern GSD however, came with two locking cylinders which were not made by Abus and which were keyed separately. Thus I bought new cylinders for the bike but had them keyed-alike to a bike and lock I already owned (so didn't have to buy a new lock however I did opt to buy the cafe lock and have it keyed-alike). It is true that the selection of Abus locks that can be keyed-alike is limited but they are the higher-end locks. For me it was a fairly painless process and well worth the money.

What you have written isn't true in many cases (wasn't in my case) and it depends on the lock cylinder your bike comes with. My Trek, because it is Bosch, has an Abus cylinder and came with an Abus keycard. So all I had to do was order a lock and I think the up-charge for the keyed-alike lock was about $15. My Tern GSD however, came with two locking cylinders which were not made by Abus and which were keyed separately. Thus I bought new cylinders for the bike but had them keyed-alike to a bike and lock I already owned (so didn't have to buy a new lock however I did opt to buy the cafe lock and have it keyed-alike). It is true that the selection of Abus locks that can be keyed-alike is limited but they are the higher-end locks. For me it was a fairly painless process and well worth the money.
all my dealer could find was a lock that came with the new lock for my battery this was for my Bosch. I guess if they ordered direct from abus it would be different I wanted a cafe lock and that had to be ordered separately. so where did you go? but the locks that can be keyed alike are their middle of the road locks.

all my dealer could find was a lock that came with the new lock for my battery this was for my Bosch. I guess if they ordered direct from abus it would be different I wanted a cafe lock and that had to be ordered separately. so where did you go? but the locks that can be keyed alike are their middle of the road locks.

For my most recent keyed-alike foray (the Trek Allant) I just went through the Trek dealer. Bike came in and about a week later the lock showed up. I believe it is the Abus Bordo Granite X Plus which is 15 out of 15 on their security scale.

My experience with the Tern GSD tells me that not all Bosch bikes use Abus locking cylinders. Because, as I mentioned with that one, I had to order new locking cylinders for the Bosch battery packs. But I had those keyed-alike to another bike and lock (Bordo) I already owned and in addition purchased the cafe lock for the front wheel.

I recall older posts on this forum that said all USA Abus keyed-alike orders go through a single distributor. And I think the locks are made in Germany and shipped.

Edit: just checked my Trek receipt and the lock keyed to my Trek is the Bordo XPlus 6510.

Last edited:
I see that Chris who has a bike shop in New York sells Abus locks, Court did a video on his shop, good video and Chris's shop looks first rate. I purchased two Abus locks on Amazon, sold on Amazon Europe, took two weeks to get them, but the price was some $50.00 less per lock then I could find them for sale here in the U. S.

Any guidance?

try linkdn abus is dong lots of advertising

I posted a separate thread about this in accessories, but since there was a lot of discussion about keyed alike here I figured I would post here as well. As mentioned above the Abus Keyed Alike program has always been popular in our shop and we recently made a video and built a tool to make the program more accessible.

To order a keyed alike lock check out this link: https://propelbikes.com/product/abus-keyed-alike-locks/

I had the same issue when ABUS U-lock shopping. Nothing came up in the dealer locator, but 3 good bicycle shops in my area all carry ABUS. And concerning key alike, its worked great for me. Never had any issues but I did get the 2nd ABUS U-lock not long after the original, so they both had even wear and tear. I doubt my old Krytonite New York lock, that is very well used, would work well with a new key/key alike. The New York lock lives in the weather 24/7, has had a few attack attempts-both cut and pick-and never gets lubed. The ABUS locks live under a seat when not in use, safe from nasty weather.

I wish I thought of this sooner but its far cheaper to get a new battery lock for your bike that matches the lock key then the other way around 35.00 verses 150.00 or more.

I ordered 2 ABUS keyed alike locks from the Propel website that matched the battery locks on our 2 new Specialized Vado 4.0s. It was a fairly simple process using the 2 ABUS lock codes that we received with the bikes. As I expected I was informed that it will be a three or four week wait while the locks are made in Germany. My LBS was clueless on how to order the keyed alike locks.

Just an FYI, Court has an excellent video on how to lock your bike in 3 minutes if you haven't seen it.

Back