Over50's Trek Allant 9.9s Chronicles

Mine is defective as it supposed to go into an intermittent or blink mode in daylight and mine does not do that. Combine that with the fact the light generates excessive heat to the point where you cannot keep a finger on it for more than a second or two and it reduces the bikes range by at least 10%, I conclude that mine is in fact defective or poorly designed and speced at a minimum.

I didn't stick with mine long enough to find out about the heat issue. But I think I did have the blink-mode issue. When the shop first showed me the bike inside the store, the light was blinking (indoor daytime). I could never again get it to replicate that. It was a one-time event apparently. In all the subsequent daytime riding it did not blink. I didn't notice the heat issue. After my first commute in February in the dark, I knew the light had to go.

My overdue and unscientific observations on my Allant vs the Specialized Vado SL 5.0 are here:

Allant_VadoSL5_1.jpgAllant_VadoSL5_2.jpgAllant_VadoSL5_3.jpg

I'm figuring out at least the basics of the Kiox. I have more to do to figure out screen customization and I haven't tried navigation yet. But these are the post-ride stats I had been craving which were lacking with prior Bosch displays. Cobi would provide things like power output real-time but I never figured out how to get a post-ride average. Whilst riding, I don't spend a lot of time looking at the controller. I'd rather sit down post-ride and see how I did. Several years of commuting with Intuvia and Purion and I was really craving a display that would show me how much of the ride was me and how much was the motor. This is from a 22+ mile ride today:

Attachments

• KioxRide_1a.jpg
    KioxRide_1a.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 393
  • KioxRide_1b.jpg
    KioxRide_1b.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 373
  • KioxRide_1c.jpg
    KioxRide_1c.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 388
  • KioxRide_1d.jpg
    KioxRide_1d.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 376
  • KioxRide_1e.jpg
    KioxRide_1e.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 391
I understand your desire to get more specific info, particularly cadence and power division. My Purion is fine for this year but next I’m thinking that switching to a Kiox might make sense.

I understand your desire to get more specific info, particularly cadence and power division. My Purion is fine for this year but next I’m thinking that switching to a Kiox might make sense.
By then the newer USA compatible Nyon will be available. I think most folks would opt for the Nyon due to touchscreen, instant navigation and larger display. I was tempted to wait but I kinda prefer the compact package and sharp display of the Kiox. If I were a heavy navigation user then definitely I would have waited for the Nyon.

Well as I posted previously, I wasn't really a fan of having my phone front and center on the bar. Moreso for security reasons: in a commute scenario, where I'm riding alone, usually in the dark. I didn't want someone to mistake my lowly Samsung device for an I-phone leading to an armed phone jacking at an intersection. Anyway, I got the Kiox a few weeks ago but the stock mount does not work with the proprietary stem on the 9.9s. I hunted high and low for the Acid mount for Kiox as seen on various OEM websites such as Moustache, Cube and KTM. This is the mountain bike mount. I could not find it available in the US or EU. I sent out several inquiries to some well known Bosch e-bike sellers and received responses indicating the mount would not be widely available until later in the Fall. I was checking the web every few days and early this week it showed up as available on the @Scooteretti website. They overnighted it to me. So thanks to them. The LBS did the swap and I gave the Cobi to the LBS manager who wanted it for one of his bikes.
View attachment 66583
Curious how much was involved in switching over to the Kiox and what the charge overall was for doing it?

Curious how much was involved in switching over to the Kiox and what the charge overall was for doing it?

I'll have to dig up my receipt. I think it was about $300 for the unit with install. I paid about $80 as a separate transaction for the Acid mount. I just noticed that the mount already shows 'sold out' at the Scooteretti site.

If you're switching from a purion display to a Kiox or Nyon you will need a new wire running from the motor to the display. This will mean dropping down the motor.
Even though there is an extra cost, I think I'll upgrade from my purion display to a Nyon when they become available next year.

A possible efficiency comparison using WH per Mile between Bosch and Mahle (Specialized Vado SL 5.0)? I suppose other bike characteristics like thinner tires on the Specialized vs heavier bike on the Trek might come into play?
1604624398750.png

Full description here:

A possible efficiency comparison using WH per Mile between Bosch and Mahle (Specialized Vado SL 5.0)? I suppose other bike characteristics like thinner tires on the Specialized vs heavier bike on the Trek might come into play?
View attachment 70702

Full description here:

That is a very thorough analysis!
I wish there was more of such content on EBR. I wonder how specialized would fare when the temperature dips below 40'F.
Bosch PT 625 has 10S,5P configuration. Bosch packs use Samsung and LG cells rated at 3500 mAh/cell. So, in theory, 5P configuration would equal to 630Whr but in reality, it is closer to 625 Whr.

I wish some of the features of Nyon were available on the Kiox.
ECO support % is 60 and the Tour is 140$ on Gen 4. An assist level in between ECO and Tour at 100% would provide an enormous range and decent power to commute at 19mph avg speed.
Mahle motor would have an upper hand if your cruising speed is below 20mph.

I pickup my new wheels today. I wanted to replace the Bontragers with Schwalbes mainly for better puncture protection. I tried the E-Plus but never found it in the right size so, with everything in at the LBS, I ordered Schwalbe's Mondrial...more money, top compound, lighter than the E-Plus...Puncture protection at a 6 versus the e-plus at 7. rode first thing when I got home. Quiet yes sir. Now I could hear the motor , not bad really, no whine to it as with my SC7. In touting the Onyx hubs silence I should mention the tires...2.0 versus 2.4. They seem to be quieter and speedier. I like'em. BTW the tech convinced to get new rims etc. with the build. A year and a half ago I would refuse to believe I could ever spend what I did...not on a new bike but two wheels. there's a lot I didn't know I needed like the Thule rack...I hope Court gets kickbacks from the BIG Bicycle conglomerates .
Anyone familiar with Pro's Closet? I just filled out their info section and sent pictures of my SC7. I wonder about the store credit remuneration...since I'll probably plow the money back into a guest bike.
What model Ergon saddle is that exactly?

What model Ergon saddle is that exactly?
Core ST Prime
I got it when my Brooks 17 was beating my butt. The Ergon was comfortable out of the box but I gave the Brooks another try and it took...that’s what’s on the bike now...but I’m gonna switch back with the weather changing for the worse. I’m told the Brooks brooks no rain

Core ST Prime
I got it when my Brooks 17 was beating my butt. The Ergon was comfortable out of the box but I gave the Brooks another try and it took...that’s what’s on the bike now...but I’m gonna switch back with the weather changing for the worse. I’m told the Brooks brooks no rain

You need to do this, Zen Mule ;)
During the first few hundred miles of using the Brooks, don't wear padded shorts. This will help the leather to break-in and assume the shape of your sit bones. After about 250 miles, especially after using the proofide they provide, it will become supple. It takes a while but once broken in, it is extremely comfortable.

You need to do this, Zen Mule ;)
During the first few hundred miles of using the Brooks, don't wear padded shorts. This will help the leather to break-in and assume the shape of your sit bones. After about 250 miles, especially after using the proofide they provide, it will become supple. It takes a while but once broken in, it is extremely comfortable.

Does the proofide prevent leather bleed into the riders pants ? I talked to someone recently who gave up on his brown brooks saddle not because he found it uncomfortable but because the leather bled into his pants in the warmer months constantly making it looked like he soiled his pants.

Does the proofide prevent leather bleed into the riders pants ? I talked to someone recently who gave up on his brown brooks saddle not because he found it uncomfortable but because the leather bled into his pants in the warmer months constantly making it looked like he soiled his pants.

It's quite difficult for that to happen because you apply proofide to the underside of the saddle and an extremely small amount on the top.
I have had over 20,000 miles on my current saddle, have used that proofide, and never had that happen.

The Brooks is comfortable now with maybe a thousand miles on it...very comfortable. I did get proofide and have used it twice.

I like looking over these charts in Bosch's eBike Connect but not having a cycling background, I'm not sure the significance of all of the data. This ride caught my eye because, in comparing to all of my other rides, I hit a peak power output of 592 watts. It was just the other day but I can't recall that portion of the ride. I couldn't find another ride where I was that close to 600 watts and more often my peaks are in the 4-5 hundred range. So I was wondering: Is that significant? I'm not sure. Maybe someone can explain to me whether I should pay attention to power output particularly in setting some fitness goals? @Ravi Kempaiah - is this something you focus on for your training? Ride was 13 miles in 100% Eco at 43F and with a 10MPH wind.

1607298020490.png

1607298104637.png

I can’t help you interpret the data except to say you’re in way better shape than me.
I do wonder how the eBike Connect data can be accessed. I use COBI with Strava in the background. Perhaps you have the Nyon

I can’t help you interpret the data except to say you’re in way better shape than me.
I do wonder how the eBike Connect data can be accessed. I use COBI with Strava in the background. Perhaps you have the Nyon
I have Kiox and if I launch eBike Connect prior to my ride it tracks everything and also exports to Strava. I think if I launch after the ride, eBike Connect gets the stats but not the route and it is not exportable to Strava. I'm not 100% certain on that however as I'm still learning my way around.

I looked around in the eBike Connect FAQ and I didn't see any mention of connection to Smartphone Hub/Cobi. Just references to Nyon and Kiox. There is a Bosch thread going where a couple of Bosch employees contribute regularly - perhaps you can post the question there?

Back