Over50's Trek Allant 9.9s Chronicles

I hit a peak power output of 592 watts.

That is a decent amount of power. (Professional level) If you sustained that kind of power, we could see you on the podium of Tour De France next year :)
Re: user power displayed on the Kiox or Nyon, I will do more detailed testing and get back to you.

Does the yellow chart in the graph indicate the: a. Rider's power; b. Motor power; or c. Combined rider's + motor power?

What I can observe on BLEvo app for Specialized e-bikes (where the rider's and motor power are reported separately), I can hit some 300 W at peak but that's meaningless as my weighted average power is sub 100 W...

Does the yellow chart in the graph indicate the: a. Rider's power; b. Motor power; or c. Combined rider's + motor power?

What I can observe on BLEvo app for Specialized e-bikes (where the rider's and motor power are reported separately), I can hit some 300 W at peak but that's meaningless as my weighted average power is sub 100 W...
I was assuming and I emphasize assuming: that it is combined power. Then I was taking the 50/50 distribution below that and assigning 50% to me. I could be way offbase though.

I was wondering moreso how to incorporate this into fitness goals. Like so many peaks over a certain watts for example? But I guess it would amount to the same thing if I just hooked up a heart rate monitor and set a goal around average heart rate - and it would probably be simpler. Right now, I usually just do whatever mileage I have time for and set the goal of doing as much as I can in Eco. Not very specific or concrete.

But I guess it would amount to the same thing if I just hooked up a heart rate monitor and set a goal around average heart rate - and it would probably be simpler.
You can do that with Mission Control on your SL :)

I upgraded from Kiox to new Nyon. When I finally got the Kiox installed I thought that would be the be-all, end-all. But then I read here that Nyon offered the custom ride modes (should have waited and not spent the money on the Kiox). Kiox is/was a really good display. The new Nyon is awesome. Kiox wins if stealth and low-profile (like for eMTB) is the top requirement. Nyon wins for all the other features - readability, touch-screen, navigation and the custom ride modes. The custom ride mode functionality is quite a bit different relative to Specialized/Mission Control. I'm not sure what I could gain by making assist variable by speed within a single assist-level. So for my initial experiment I set the assist as a speed-constant in all four levels - and I brought them down considerably relative to the stock settings capped at 175% in level-4 (the new Turbo). I did an initial 15 mile ride and was all over the 3 lower levels (never used the 175%) and came in with 57% rider output. The best I could ever do with the stock settings riding 100% in Eco was about 52%. But by bringing each mode down a bit (Eco to 50%), I didn't notice that the riding was that much harder. I did one section at 25 mph at 100% assist and it did not seem difficult.

I also had the dual-battery hardware removed for now. If Covid ever goes away enough to allow a return to commuting then I'll add it back. So bike is stealthier and now more customizable:
20210407_Nyon1.jpg20210407_Nyon2.jpg20210407_Nyon3.jpg

I upgraded from Kiox to new Nyon. When I finally got the Kiox installed I thought that would be the be-all, end-all. But then I read here that Nyon offered the custom ride modes (should have waited and not spent the money on the Kiox). Kiox is/was a really good display. The new Nyon is awesome. Kiox wins if stealth and low-profile (like for eMTB) is the top requirement. Nyon wins for all the other features - readability, touch-screen, navigation and the custom ride modes. The custom ride mode functionality is quite a bit different relative to Specialized/Mission Control. I'm not sure what I could gain by making assist variable by speed within a single assist-level. So for my initial experiment I set the assist as a speed-constant in all four levels - and I brought them down considerably relative to the stock settings capped at 175% in level-4 (the new Turbo). I did an initial 15 mile ride and was all over the 3 lower levels (never used the 175%) and came in with 57% rider output. The best I could ever do with the stock settings riding 100% in Eco was about 52%. But by bringing each mode down a bit (Eco to 50%), I didn't notice that the riding was that much harder. I did one section at 25 mph at 100% assist and it did not seem difficult.

I also had the dual-battery hardware removed for now. If Covid ever goes away enough to allow a return to commuting then I'll add it back. So bike is stealthier and now more customizable:
View attachment 84169View attachment 84170View attachment 84171
I don't use the range extending battery that often. I wish the battery mount was easily and quickly removed/replaced, as the bike looks so much better without it.

I don't use the range extending battery that often. I wish the battery mount was easily and quickly removed/replaced, as the bike looks so much better without it.
That's exactly why I'm waiting for my 625wh spare vs getting the much more available Range Boost. I may have to change my mind eventually!🤔

I had on order a guest rider. Allant7s. I’d hoped to get the range extender for my 9 and exercise the 500w on it. So now I get first look at Vado 4 EQ with the 310 battery. IDK

I had on order a guest rider. Allant7s. I’d hoped to get the range extender for my 9 and exercise the 500w on it. So now I get first look at Vado 4 EQ with the 310 battery. IDK
Why? I'm told the Range Booster kit (with battery) is in ample supply.

To make sure the 7’s battery got some exercise, and if the extender was put on I might be tempted to exceed what I generally consider a long ride. as it is the suggestion to reduce the reserve for the lights will work fine

I recently went back to working in the office on a 2x-per-week basis. I've been doing 23 mile commutes alternating the Allant and the Vado SL. I compared some recent commutes to a couple of years back when I was riding the R&M GX Charger and my de-tuned Haibike. Back then I would average 16-17 mph over 30-35 mile commutes. On the Allant 9.9s I've been averaging about 15 mph for the 23 miles. This is affected by some recent very windy days. But overall, the decrease in speed is by design as I now have the luxury of the Nyon to turn down the power settings. It is really nice to have that option and I think the customization offered by Bosch with the Nyon and e-Bike Connect and Specialized with Mission Control is a gold standard.

Attachments

• recent_commute2.jpg
    recent_commute2.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 294
  • Recentcommute1.jpg
    Recentcommute1.jpg
    802.3 KB · Views: 280
Back