ktm macina lycan 27 gps+

EddieJ

With the refund given on the BH and after a lot of hard thinking and comparing stats, I've just written to confirm my order for a KTM Macina Lycan 27 gps+

I wasn't overly fussed about having the nyon, but I'm not keen on the white/red colour of the non GPS Macina Lycan Plus.

Hopefully the delivery time won't be too long. :)

macina_lycan_27_48_black_matt_orange.jpg

Das is gudt, looks like a nice ride, components et all, thru axels, I was hoping 27 was the cut-off in mph, how geocentric of me. Congratulations, you pulled the trigger! Hope to hear good things about it soon. -S

The bike is on it's way, and should be with me any day now. :)

I was beginning to get fed up of looking at downloaded pictures of it. :D

I've also taken the chance to book up the first mtb event on it, which will be on 1st November. There are also two more before the end of the year that I my sights fixed on, so the bike will be straight out of the box and out onto the trails/tracks around here.

This is the first event. Skip to approx 6mins 30secs of the clip!

This is one that I really want to do, but the traveling and costs involved is currently putting me off. Just be a shame to miss it though.

Thanks Shea. The delay has been because of having to meet demand to get all of the 2015 bikes out to dealers to fulfil a seemingly endless amount of orders. I have also opted for a larger frame size, which also delayed things slightly. It's no panic, and it'll just make the bike even more worth unpacking. I also sold the Haibike today, so this is coming at just the right moment. :)

The Cliffs ride does look good, and I'd be daft not to put the effort in to do it. I'm just struggling in my head to balance the our high fuel costs, and traveling distance on our rubbish roads, just to ride about 30miles.

First impressions of the 2014/2015 KTM Macina Lycan gps + 10-s XT
I'm not going to run through the list of spec, as this can be seen on the following link to KTM's website.. http://www.ktm-bikes.at/en/bikes/e-...=17920&cHash=9602c173b1b6ea164954b68b706f985d

Opening the well packaged box, revealed what I had already expected, a drop dead gorgeous and superbly presented e-mtb.
Just opening the box alone, left me with no doubt that I had made the right decision in choosing this bike over it's competitors.

The finish of the hydroformed frame is superb, and it was refreshing to see super clean welds that flow almost seamlessly throughout. If like me you appreciate attention to detail, then that is an aspect worth closer scrutiny when making comparisons between manufacturers. The bottom bracket area is another key focus in that respect, and how the frame has been butted and finished. Again, the KTM does not disappoint in that respect either. In fact attention to detail runs throughout the bike.

Moving onto paint and decal finish. What can I say. It certainly puts my last two, non KTM bikes to shame and is first-rate in all respects. Obviously I can't answer the durability aspect of it yet, but I have high hopes of it being very good.

After straightening the bars, I suspended the bike to give it a thorough once over. The trueness of the wheels was first class, and credit must also go to Schwalbe for producing a tyre with very accurate fabrication tolerances, and no apparent influence over balance. The Shimano Ratchet system hubs with thruaxle also exude an air of quality. I'll practice the removal and refitting of both wheels over the next few days to get into the swing of using them.

All of the controls functioned exactly as they should, and gear selection was very slick and precise.
Front fork flex was also reassuringly un-noticeable under quick lock on braking, which is always good to see.
Checks completed and a few adjustments carried out, the bike was lowered, and it was time to cast an eye over a couple of other aspects of the bike, that seemingly all to often disappoint. Firstly the saddle. I already knew from the Ultra 1964 that KTM saddles are of exceptionally good quality and for me, offer possibly the best ride of any saddle that I have tried. Clearly everyone is different, but I can't find fault. The seat post clamp is also of high quality, and the orange anodised finish, adds a subtle bit of bling.
Next up is bar end grips. This is another aspect that often disappoints, but as with the Ultra 1964, KTM have done their homework, and fitted first-rate grips.

Pedals. As with all of my bikes, I shall be fitting my own, but KTM haven't failed in this department either, and the OE supplied pedals are very good indeed, and shouldn't be ruled out as a main option. Being both clipless and flat, is great to see.

Cable routing. To me, all e-mtb's should have internal routing for the majority of cables, and I wouldn't even entertain the idea of having the underside of an e-mtb top tube cluttered with cable and lugs. I'd soon get fed up of that when it comes to the inevitable lifting and carrying of the bike. And speaking of carrying, this bike appears to hide its weight of 20.9kg very well indeed. Clearly I'd love to see the day when all mid range e-mtb's weigh 15kg, but I'm a realist.

I expect that I have left details out from the above, but for now, my visual first impression of the bike have left me in no doubt that I have made the right choice, especially when comparing price V spec of other manufacturers, and it is something of note when considering an e-mtb purchase. E-bikes are an expensive purchase, so maximising component spec is definitely on the list of priorities, and this KTM has given more bike per pound sterling.

The hard choice now, is whether to hang the bike up on the wall or ride it! I think that I'll ride it, then hang it up on the wall. :)

The bikes first outing will be this weekend, and true to form I have entered an organised 'non competitive' mtb ride. Pedals aside, by then the bike will already have had one change to the original spec, and also the addition of one or possibly two extra accessories, neither of which I really want to fit, but they make life easier. I'll let you guess what they all are when you see the documented ride photos.

Items of note that perhaps should be addressed on later bikes....
Unlike other bikes that I could quite easily rip to shreds in this department, I have only found two things. The first is that the banjo fitting to the rear brake caliper hose, would be better placed and guided, if it were to be say a 30 degree elbow, rather than being straight. The second is the proximately of the Nyon cable to the pop lock on the forks. It runs uncomfortably close, but I'll address this tomorrow. It's a slightly tricky compromise between lock to lock steering use, fork compression, and suspension pop lock.

One final note... Yes the bike has Nyon, but this was not the reason for me buying the bike. I'm quite happy to do without it, as I'm more into riding than playing around with electronic gadgetry, and looking at a widescreen TV mounted to a handle bar... So don't ask me questions about it, as I just don't have the interest and won't answer. From a valid safety point of view, why would you want or need extra distraction. I'd rather concentrate on the task in hand of riding, than forever looking down at a screen, then back up again, just in time to see the hole, rock, root, hedge or whatever that I would be about to hit. Yes I could have just bought a KTM Macina Lycan Plus and not had the addition of Nyon, but I prefer both the component spec and colour scheme of the gps +

Not the best of photos, but hopefully I shall soon make up for that. :)

The Boardman isn't mine, I've just borrowed it to play on, and it should really be replaced with either an orange coloured CX bike, or an orange and black road bike. :)

P1170708_zps49f9f8ae.jpg P1170709_zps667c9903.jpg

Last edited:
Well, what can I say! I decided that I had better christen the bike before the weekend, and boy did it get christened. It rained and rained throughout the 15 mile ride, and I sadly also wrecked the camera because of it.

This bike is pretty phenomenal in almost every respect. It somehow brought out my darker side, and encouraged me to try harder than I have tried before. It's such an addictive bike to ride, and I'm certain that this bike is going up my riding skills a few notches with it's confidence inspiring ride. I was going to check the fox shox website before the ride, just to get the suspension set up perfectly for me, but I forgot and just went out using the factory pre set. Someone must have known that I was going to own and ride this bike, as it was perfect, straight from the box.
The suspension absorbed everything that was thrown at it, and even the very occasional slide from the rear tyre over off camber roots, didn't phase it. It was just so compliant.

I did have to have one tumble, but it was one of those falls, that had the bike been a horse, it would have been stood over me laughing to its self! I was traveling not particularly fast along a grass track that was criss crossed with drainage trenches, when suddenly I hit one that was overgrown and very boggy. The front of the bike just went down, I went over the bars, and glided face first into the wet grass and mud. It was boggy enough that my arm had sunk fully up to the elbow. Thankfully there was no one was watching! ;)

That hiccup out of the way, the ride went super well, and very fast. I can see all of my ride time records being smashed with this bike.

Before getting this bike, I did have my doubts about the small front sprocket being of any use. Off road I don't really see that it is every going to be an issue, but on road use, could have you spinning out by 25mph. I'll check that for sure another day. As said, it's no issue to me, as the bike is going to be used off road for 95% of the time.
What was refreshing to me, was how smooth and quiet that the motor was when compared with the classic motor from the last bike. Obviously there is no mistaking what the bike is as it approaches, but I didn't notice any walkers turning round to stare until I was level with them. I quite pleased about that aspect of things.

The post ride wash didn't reveal any nasty surprises in respect of ingress of water. There was both mud and water fairly close to the battery connections, but I cannot see this ever causing a problem, and I'd be the first to say if I thought that it might.

I'll probably think of more to say later. :)

z1_zps4c8b77f1.jpg z2_zpsd4921df7.jpg z3_zps3a389464.jpg z4_zps8ad6741e.jpg

Last edited:
Black and Orange just in time for Halloween! I'm glad your break-in tumble was more embarrassing than injurious, got that out of the way. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pics. -S

I hadn't realised that I have owned this bike for quite long as I have. An update is very long over due!

This first 1,000 mile report below was actually written in May 2015, and the bike has covered roughly 4,000-5,000 miles now. Modifications and replacement motors have made keeping any useful information, a pointless exercise. I'll add the latest and as yet unwritten up to date article over the next few days.

1,000 miles

Whilst it's not a lot in the scheme of things when compared to those that use their e-bikes for the daily grind, the KTM Macina Lycan GPS+ hit the 1,000 mile mark a couple of days ago. It's still not bad mileage considering my relatively short time of ownership, along with the fact that it only gets used for off road fun at weekends and evenings. I'm also using the pedal mtb once or twice a week, so the figure would have been reached sooner had this not been the case.

This is how the bike pretty much celebrated hitting the1,000mile mark!

z1a_zpsxp7x7yt6.jpg

Credit has to be given to KTM for producing a bike that seemingly just shrugs incidents such as the above off, with just a straightening of the bars being the only thing that is ever required. The ride of the bike still feels as tight as it did on day one, but this in part is down to the fact that maintenance never gets neglected. It is only now that things are starting to dry out, that the full suspension is becoming a practical asset, and the Fox set up front and rear work exceptionally well together. In some respects, I still love hard tails more though.

The Shimano Deore XT brakes work phenomenally well, and pad replacement is a doddle. This is just as well, given the frequency of replacement. An aspect that is down to my riding and nothing more.

The gears have remained precise, although gear changing is certainly a clunky affair, if care and good gear change practice is not used. The key to smooth riding with the system, is to predict gear selection before requiring it, and to momentarily ease off the pedal whilst changing. Both become second nature very quickly, so are of no concern or issue.

As standard, I feel that the internal gearing is completely wrong for e-mtb use, with far too much time being spent in the first two gear ratios, which in turn has a couple of very negative effects. Firstly the wear rate of both the front sprocket and first two ratios of the cassette is in truth very high. The second negative, is that the chain run is hardly ever straight. This is something that also bugs me. From speaking to other e-mtb riders and from reading forums, both issues are an across all brands problem.

Leading on to battery life and performance, battery duration can be disappointing. Performance costs, and the extra 12Nm of torque over that of the active line does cane the battery. I can kill the battery in about 20 miles of use if using it continuously in tour mode, whilst the active line motor that is fitted to a second bike that I currently have the use of, seemingly goes on forever, or for at least until I've had enough. Being frugal with usage, the most range that I have had from the Macina is 47 miles. This was completed using a mix of eco and no assist.
With talk of mileage/range, the bikes comfort is also brilliant. It just doesn't seem to get uncomfortable, and the saddle has to be the best that I have ever sat upon. In the past, I have suffered with shoulder ache and tension on bikes, but I get none of this on the KTM.

I also decided that as the bike had hit the 1,000mile mark, that I would finally carry out a job that I have been threatening to do almost from day one of ownership. Get rid of NYON, and replace it with Intuvia. It only took about half an hour to do.
upload_2016-2-17_17-51-13.png

DSCF1136_zpsaxvm0ojl.jpg z2ebr.jpg

It's certainly an improvement on looks and e-mtb practicality. It would be even nicer if Bosch offered a dedicated e-mtb unit that was about the size of a wrist watch. On an e-mtb, you only need to know the battery level and power setting.

Time moves on.

Bringing this topic up to date.... Much has changed, including my opinion about the Bosch motors internal gearing. Last July I made a trip to Switzerland to carry out a good deed involving use of the bike, and suddenly the gearing made total sense. Details of this epic ride can be found here. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/news/giving/

zpu4.jpg hol2.JPG hol1.JPG hol 3.JPG

The bike is still proving to be great fun, and gets used approx. 3 evenings per week for night rides, and also at least one ride over the weekend period. This is rain or shine, after all it's an e-mtb! The bike is very much a tool for a job, and I wouldn't swap out for any other make.

I've not really made many modifications to the bike since owing it, I've fitted a mucky Nutz front fender, changed the handlebars for a set of slightly wider ones, swapped out the rear cassette to an 11-42, and fitted a dropper seat post. There isn't anything else that requires changing, the bike is that good.

I frequently read and hear people stating that I should get a dongle for the bike. This really doesn't interest me in the slightest. It voids the warranty on the Bosch motor, is pretty much illegal for use anywhere in the UK, and if I wanted a motorbike, I'd buy one!

The bike does get through consumables at a rapid rate, but this is simply down to my use of the bike, and nothing else. Brake pads last just a couple of hundred miles, chains anything from 200-400 miles, and rear jockey wheels and front sprocket, last about 500 miles.

Photos of mods to follow.

The bike has also proved very successful and fun to ride at organised events. Something that I love taking part in.

12308650_147069725650799_2781211236700067806_n.jpg z5aebr.jpg Cold 2.JPG w12.JPG

As for general riding. :)

z1copy1_zpsa1uqkeff.jpg w9.JPG w10.JPG w11.JPG

Also a few short video clips.

The first is showing just how well that the bike climbs just using eco.

Riding with two other KTM riders at an event.

Short bit of speed.

Last edited:
Apart from swapping the tyres around, the major service of Macina Lycan is all finished now. :)

The following work has been carried out.

Full rear suspension bush kit fitted.
New gear change cable.
New front sprocket.
New chain.
New jockey wheels.
The rear cassette is pretty much new, so wasn't touched.
The rear brake hose was rerouted, as was the gear change cable.
New front fork remote cable.
Brake fluids changed.
Front fork seals checked.
Rear derailleur stripped and rebuilt, as the clutch had been playing up, so adding to the issue of odd gear changes.
Both wheels trued, and spoke tension adjusted. Wheel bearings were fine.

There is probably more that I can't currently think of, plus I have two new additions. The first being a Neogaurd. Chosen after seeing just well that they work on a recent and very muddy ride, in which two other KTM riders each had one fitted. The second new addition is a set of Shimano M520 SPD pedals, and I can't wait to get back to an SPD set up.

Looking clean again. :)

serv1.JPG serv3.JPG serv2.JPG

Last edited:
Time goes so quickly.

The Macina Lycan has sort of been in the side lines now that the Macina Race has come along.

The battery had all but given up, and the motor had become tired, so last week saw revamp of the system, with the fitment of a 500wh battery, along with a CX motor.
Now that I have the Macina Race as well, the Lycan might well have a bit of a holiday, whilst I decide what to do with it. I'm toying with the idea on given it yet another full strip and rebuild, but this time it could well have a paint re spray as well.
For now though, I shall just continue to mix the riding between bikes.

A few random shots.

z8.JPG z10.JPG z2.JPG z11.JPG z9.JPG z7.JPG z3.JPG

Hey, in reading your posts, were you able to upgrade your motor, or just replace it?

I can't explain why, but I am "miffed" that in the US, Bosch won't let me upgrade from active to performance. I agree with your points about the Active line, but I can't comprehend why Bosch won't let me swap motors.

Hey, in reading your posts, were you able to upgrade your motor, or just replace it?

I can't explain why, but I am "miffed" that in the US, Bosch won't let me upgrade from active to performance. I agree with your points about the Active line, but I can't comprehend why Bosch won't let me swap motors.
@NoDTMF you seem frustrated with active...why not sell the active and purchase a new bike with performance? At some point the costs of upgrade + frustration are greater than a little loss on the switch??

Yeah, I am coming across as frustrated. I really like the bike but would like the opportunity to swap the motor. Bugs me that Bosch won't let me do it and responded with a comment that "you don't swap the engine cars!"

But enough I guess, I had another fun ride yesterday!

I'm actually field testing the unit, which is why I have the upgrade. :)

Not that this evenings ride went that well. I had my once yearly trip over the handlebars. Pretty a year to the day since the last one.

ebr 2.jpg

Still a lovely evening to be out on my own enjoying the peace and quiet.

ebr 1.JPG

Last edited:
I saw you had another post about helmet safety a day or two ago, almost like foreshadowing....Hope all is well.

All good thanks. :)

Frustratingly I had already walked the section, but hadn't realised that there was a root crossing horizontally across the mud filled ditch, which stopped the bike dead. I was only going at about 5mph, so thankfully nothing spectacular. :)

Good to hear, @EddieJ We don't need you posting from the orthopedic ward.

That could very nearly have happened on the way to an Orange Bikes demo day today.

I have absolutely no idea how fast that I was going at the time, but a delivery driver using a mobile phone pulled out in front of me on a narrow country lane. The front forks were fully compressed and I couldn't use the front brake any harder, and the resulting skid from the skipping rear end, measured 49'
Luckily the driver looked up and stopped, but I still clipped the hedge as I was still traveling too fast. I really thought that was it for me!

Never mind. Give me off road riding any day of the week. :)

ebr1.JPG ebr2.JPG

Last edited:
Back