Evelo Omega - 200 Mile Review

No one keeps up with everything. If nothing else, I was personally happy to see this… it got me thinking, and sure enough the date struck me. No apologies would be expected by anyone, I think.

You missed a hell of a good guy.

Which bike will take you the furthest (range)?
How is the Omega holding up after 2 years?
TIA.
Certainly sad news about "Alaskan". I didn't really know him, but he sure had a lot of experience with ebikes!

The wife's Omega is 15 months old and running great. It's an incredible deal at 2600 bucks! I doubt you could find anything close with the Gates belt and Enviolo automatic hub. (had to pay over 4 grand, back in July '22).

Certainly sad news about "Alaskan". I didn't really know him, but he sure had a lot of experience with ebikes!

The wife's Omega is 15 months old and running great. It's an incredible deal at 2600 bucks! I doubt you could find anything close with the Gates belt and Enviolo automatic hub. (had to pay over 4 grand, back in July '22).
So, just to update, I did buy an open box Omega... for about 2 hours. Frankly, I changed my mind for 2 reasons: 1. Really wanted that suspension 2. There is/ was a poster (might be on an ebike group on FB) that really talked me out of the Omega. He still has one, but he was adamant that he didn't like it.
I do believe I would have liked it, though, and will definitely consider an Evelo in a few years... not going to kid myself that the bike I just bought will be my last.

So, just to update, I did buy an open box Omega... for about 2 hours. Frankly, I changed my mind for 2 reasons: 1. Really wanted that suspension 2. There is/ was a poster (might be on an ebike group on FB) that really talked me out of the Omega. He still has one, but he was adamant that he didn't like it.
I do believe I would have liked it, though, and will definitely consider an Evelo in a few years... not going to kid myself that the bike I just bought will be my last.
Why did he not like it? I'm very happy with mine, bought four months ago.

Why did he not like it? I'm very happy with mine, bought four months ago.
Guy said he had all kinds of issues and that it was a nightmare. I really liked the bike, but didn't want to chance it. Wish I had pulled the trigger, though, before the end of Feb as the prices jumped in March.

Guy said he had all kinds of issues and that it was a nightmare. I really liked the bike, but didn't want to chance it. Wish I had pulled the trigger, though, before the end of Feb as the prices jumped in March.
I love my Omega, but there are a few riders with buyer's remorse, either warranted or otherwise. The Enviolo "Automatiq" is something special, but perhaps not for everyone. After one year of ownership I still can't get over the novel thrill of automatic shifting, inasmuch as I still enjoy the sportiness of manual shifting from time to time. That's why I still rotate my rides between bikes.

I believe a few owners have overused the Enviolo app to radically alter the cadence settings, and then wonder out loud why they can't find a natural pedal feel. I found the default setting "thinks" intelligently for my style of riding, and while I'm a "tweak-er" by nature, I have been happy leaving well enough alone, so I have not monkeyed around with the app settings.

While most Omega riders on the owners forums seem like very happy campers, a few have vociferously voiced complaints that do not in any way match my experience. (I can't offer a qualified comment about what other riders might come up against). My nitpicks are somewhat spongy Zoom brand brakes which my mechanic just adjusted, and so far, so good. Also, since the "Automatiq" employs some kind of cadence-torque sensing hybrid super-secret-magic-mumbo-jumbo formula, there is the kind of slight pedal delay/lag that you will typically experience with a cadence sensor bike. I've grown accustomed to it, and I generally find the pedal feel quite natural.

I ride primarily on dirt and gravel roads and paths. I'm perfectly fine with the rigid fork. The 2.8" inch tires provide enough cushioning for my butt, but that's obviously a very subjective determination.

Last edited:
Back