ktm macina lycan 27 gps+

Out on the old war horse again this evening. I'm sure this bike just attracts mud!

I've ridden this route countless time, but the one time that I take a slightly different line on what looked to be a drier route, down the bike goes, and grinds to a halt!

ebr2.JPG

I took the bike in the back of the van to work with me today, so that I could nip up onto the South Downs after work for a little ride to the chip shop in Newhaven.
I'm disappointed in the elevation gain, as it somehow seemed hard today. Having said that, I had been outside working all day, so anything would have felt hard.

Capture.JPG

The start of the ride didn't go well, and this was only about the half mile into it point!

ebr2.JPG

Things improved shortly after, and the rest of the ride was a good mix of reasonably dry off road conditions, plus a small amount of interlinking roads

ebr8.JPG ebr3.JPG ebr4.JPG ebr6.JPG ebr7.JPG ebr1.JPG

On a very negative note, I came across this sign on one wooded section of the ride. Oddly this is something that has very much been in te back of my mind over the last few weeks of riding, and I have been riding extra cautiously.

zz3.jpg

Out for yet another after work on the South Downs during the week. Another glorious summer evening, with hardly anyone else around. Perfect. :)

I frustratingly took another tumble, this time whilst riding along a wet chalk rut that had been created by a farm vehicle. Wet chalk is as slippery as ice to ride, and without warning I lost the front end of the bike, and ended up cutting my knee on flint that was protruding through the chalk. It wasn't so bad, but cow poo also got into the cut, and it has now become infected. I carry a very comprehensive kit with me when riding, but two things that I didn't have were wet wipes and hibiscrub. Note to self on that one.

Capture.JPG

ebr1.JPG ebr 2.JPG ebr3.JPG ebr5.JPG ebr4.JPG

In relation to the Macina Lycan, I am off to the Swiss Alps in two weeks time, and have been trying to decide about which bike to take with me. After a lot of thought, I am going to once again take the full suspension Lycan.
With this in mind, I have decided that I had also better pull the bike down, and give it a thorough service. Items such as chain and front sprocket, brake pads and brake fluids will also be replaced irrelevant of condition. I don't want to take any chances, and as I got through a set of brake pads in just 200 miles and a rear brake disc the last time that I was there, I'll also be taking spares of each with me.

One other more major thing that I have done, is that I have also swapped the motors of each bike. There is very good reason for this, as I want to use the hardtail Macina Race for wet weather muddy rides, and the exposed motor cases on it, aren't as well sealed as on the Macina Lycan. There is a Bosch plastic sticker, on the cases of the hardtail which wouldn't be easily transferred, so the easiest option was just to do a quick swap of motor.
Removing both motors, also gave me the opportunity to carry out routine maintenance and checks to both units.

ebr6.JPG ebr7.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you both for the kind words. :)

The next two weeks of waiting to head off, are really going to drag. I just want to go. :)

Interestingly for me, is that someone that lives there has kindly offered to take me out for ride. Instagram does have it's uses. :)

His ride routes certainly look inviting. :)

eig2.png eig3.png eig4.png

Hi Eddie
I have been looking at E bikes for the last few months and had my eye on few makes.
After I read your review on the KTM Macina I went out and bought the 2016 10 speed.
It's brilliant and everything you said about the bike is spot on.
Thank you for your very top review and all the best you.
One happy KTM owner.

Paul waterworth.

Hi Eddie
I'm up hear in Burnley with lots of hills and rain.
I started biking 5 years ago after a bad illness and got hooked.
Biking helped me to get fit and I have never felt fitter in my whole life.
Traded in a Scott Genius for my KTM because my bike routes were turning into grey rides.
Already I am able to ride out further for new trails.
I wonder if you have any advice tyres .
To get to my new trails I have to ride quite a lot of tarmac roads etc.
Are the Rocket Ron's ok for this or is there a better tyre.
Have a great weekend.
Paul harmonica Waterworth.
Half the Cutler Waterworth song writing team.

I love the end to your reply above. Brilliant. :)

Tyre choice is certainly a very tricky one to answer. I would guess that 90% of my riding is off road and I tend to ride in any and all conditions.

I have gone through a couple of different brands, and one thing that you really do have to be careful of is not to go wider than 2.25. I was going to raise this previously and the reason is that there isn't very much clearance between the tyre and the rear chainstay. My paintwork has all but disappeared in that area, due to mud and stone abrasion.

The conditions that I ride in here can become very muddy indeed and the Rocket Rons whilst being a lovely tyre, just can't cope with the mud well enough for my use. I'm guessing that up where you are, that you are perhaps more likely to be faced with stone etc. That is only a guess though.
One thing that I cannot recommend enough to you, is going to a tubeless set up, especially if you are going to stick with the Rocket Rons, as they are quite a thin and lightweight tyre. It is an option that you really won't regret doing.
Also because of your road use, I'd suggest sticking with the Rocket Rons for now, as they roll well on the road, and you won't be faced with an issue that I suffer from, and that is that my tyre choice of Hutchinson DZO and Hutchinson Toro are both fairly aggressive and when riding on the road, they drag, are noisy, and I have visions of pound signs disappearing into the wind with every wheel rotation.

As an aside, on the UK pedelec forum, there seemingly several ebike riding members from your neck of the woods. :)

I now need to disappear and hunt down some of your fine music. :)

Hi Eddie
Thanks and I have taken on board what you say.
Just been on my fourth outing on the KTM.
We are very lucky around Burnley because we have lots of old wool pack roads running over the moors and you can just lose yourself.
I have just ridden for five hours and loved it but I am knackered .
Time for kip .
Cheers
Paul.

Hi Eddie.
Just fitted a Mudhugger rear muduard and it's spot on.
Bumped into my local mtb club last week and they all had them fitted.

I have found the gear changes a bit clunky as you pointed out in your review .
I put the bike on my stand and watched was going on in the gear change department.
The chain seemed to be moving slowly over the gears and looked a bit sluggish .
A change of oil I thought so I am using one of Harlford's lighter lubes .
This has improved the situation quite a lot but I decrease my chain after every ride etc.

I forgot mentioned that many moons ago I worked for Kirkstall Gears Ltd as a gear cutter / setter operator .
Oil is a very versatile and saw many applications and uses of our slippy friend.
Yours
Paul

Last edited:
Hi Paul.

You will get used to the gear change. I now find it relatively seamless, but only relatively. The key is pre empting each change before you require it, and slow the pedal stroke accordingly.

I tend to use a Muc Off wet lube, and also carry a small tube in my back pack as well. The clay and chalk conditions here, sadly do chains no favour at all, and dry them out in no time.

Interestingly my cousin is also a gear cutter at a company called Muffits. :)

Are you going to be using the bike as the UK conditions worsen, or store it away for rare sunny days? Sadly it seems as though winter has already arrive down here!

010916.JPG 0109162.JPG

Made even more depressing by thinking that it was only a few weeks ago that I was riding in, and enjoying lovely sunshine.

sunshine.JPG

I took the bike in the back of the van to work with me today, so that I could nip up onto the South Downs after work for a little ride to the chip shop in Newhaven.
I'm disappointed in the elevation gain, as it somehow seemed hard today. Having said that, I had been outside working all day, so anything would have felt hard.

View attachment 6430

The start of the ride didn't go well, and this was only about the half mile into it point!

View attachment 6431

Things improved shortly after, and the rest of the ride was a good mix of reasonably dry off road conditions, plus a small amount of interlinking roads

View attachment 6432 View attachment 6433 View attachment 6434 View attachment 6435 View attachment 6436 View attachment 6437

On a very negative note, I came across this sign on one wooded section of the ride. Oddly this is something that has very much been in te back of my mind over the last few weeks of riding, and I have been riding extra cautiously.

View attachment 6438

Who would do something like this? Are people that nasty that they would want to injure someone else for no specific reason? I hope to god no one has been injured! I hope everyone pitches in and keeps a mindful eye for these obstacles in the path!

Out for yet another after work on the South Downs during the week. Another glorious summer evening, with hardly anyone else around. Perfect. :)

I frustratingly took another tumble, this time whilst riding along a wet chalk rut that had been created by a farm vehicle. Wet chalk is as slippery as ice to ride, and without warning I lost the front end of the bike, and ended up cutting my knee on flint that was protruding through the chalk. It wasn't so bad, but cow poo also got into the cut, and it has now become infected. I carry a very comprehensive kit with me when riding, but two things that I didn't have were wet wipes and hibiscrub. Note to self on that one.

View attachment 7073

View attachment 7076 View attachment 7079 View attachment 7082 View attachment 7085 View attachment 7088

In relation to the Macina Lycan, I am off to the Swiss Alps in two weeks time, and have been trying to decide about which bike to take with me. After a lot of thought, I am going to once again take the full suspension Lycan.
With this in mind, I have decided that I had also better pull the bike down, and give it a thorough service. Items such as chain and front sprocket, brake pads and brake fluids will also be replaced irrelevant of condition. I don't want to take any chances, and as I got through a set of brake pads in just 200 miles and a rear brake disc the last time that I was there, I'll also be taking spares of each with me.

One other more major thing that I have done, is that I have also swapped the motors of each bike. There is very good reason for this, as I want to use the hardtail Macina Race for wet weather muddy rides, and the exposed motor cases on it, aren't as well sealed as on the Macina Lycan. There is a Bosch plastic sticker, on the cases of the hardtail which wouldn't be easily transferred, so the easiest option was just to do a quick swap of motor.
Removing both motors, also gave me the opportunity to carry out routine maintenance and checks to both units.

View attachment 7091 View attachment 7094
Eddie J-Great picks from the UK it looks like. I am in the USA. The landscape there in the UK looks breathtaking!
BTW-Sorry about your knee. Perhaps you could have used your water bottle fluid to cleanse the cut. Hope you are healing okay!

Back