Alternative rack for Allant+ 8

I love the dinky rack on the allant+8, but it is rated at only 15kg max load and so it is not good enough for touring.

I found a post on the PeterBurn.com blog where he described fitting a Topeak super tourist DX (disc version) rack to his allant+. In the pictures he was able to mount the new rack over the top of the existing rack, and use the spare mounting points near the axle rather than using the same mounting point as the existing rack. On the strength of this I bought the rack, but found that the rack legs were about 1cm too short to reach the unused mounting points. Unfortunately I can no longer access the blog (there is some wordpress security preventing me accessing it) so I couldn't see if I had missed a trick somewhere.

But the good news is that the rack fits perfectly if you use the existing mount points. The existing rack is attached by 30mm M5 bolts; you just need to replace these with 40mm M5 bolts and then both racks can share the same mount point.

One difficulty is that the bolts supplied with the rack to attach the seatpost rails to the rack are too long. You can squeeze the forward bolt in, but not the rear one of the pair (see first pic). So you need some 10mm M5 bolts there.

bolts-compressed.jpg

In the next pic you can see the spare mounting point. It appears to be to the right of the existing rack mount point in the pic but it is also lower down, hence the problem.

LHS-compressed.jpg

In the next bpic you can see the new rack mount sitting on top of the existing one. Although the rack mount sticks out quite a long way, it is mostly hollow so the replacement bolt only needs to be 10 mm longer rather than the 30mm longer it looks like will be needed. Also you can see that the new rack actually protects the gear cable, which the old rack didn't.
RHS-compressed.jpg

next pic shows the whole set up, with the topeak rack sitting above the existing rack. No contact points or other worries. Note that you need to replace the exxisting seat clamp with an eyeletted one (I ised the Bontrager QR one) to attach the rack rails to.
RHSOverview2-compressedjpg.jpg

So to recap you need:

1) Topeak super tourist DX (disc) rack
2) Eyeletted seat post clamp eg Bontrager
3) 2 x 40mm M5 bolts
4) 2 or 4 x 10mm M5 bolts

This rack takes 26kg, so it is fine for touring. My Ortlieb panniers fit very well. If you are in the UK, this rack is a bargain at £25.

I hope this helps anyone else who wants to use their allant+ 8 for touring. (Incidentally I have Tubus Tara rack on the front, which works very well).

Last edited:
Nice job, and thank you for the technical details. I still puzzle over why Trek mounted such a rack on a nice bike, one of borderline usefulness, and then made it impossible to remove?

Love it. So far I haven't had any issues with the stock rack. I regularly do winery rides and bring back 6-8 bottles in each pannier plus 2 U locks and a big chain lock.

Nice job, and thank you for the technical details. I still puzzle over why Trek mounted such a rack on a nice bike, one of borderline usefulness, and then made it impossible to remove?
I feel the same and it’s yet another reason why I think that ebike companies should offer more options given how damn expensive their products are!🤬

Love it. So far I haven't had any issues with the stock rack. I regularly do winery rides and bring back 6-8 bottles in each pannier plus 2 U locks and a big chain lock.
Sounds like a load of at least 20 - 25kg. Depending on weight of locks you could even be at double the load limit. Do you do that often, and have you been doing it long? Load ratings are always on the conservative side, probably 10% over would be OK, but I would be very uncomfortable going so far over the load limit (especially with such valuable cargo!). Each to their own though.

I love the dinky rack on the allant+8, but it is rated at only 15kg max load and so it is not good enough for touring.

I found a post on the PeterBurn.com blog where he described fitting a Topeak super tourist DX (disc version) rack to his allant+. In the pictures he was able to mount the new rack over the top of the existing rack, and use the spare mounting points near the axle rather than using the same mounting point as the existing rack. On the strength of this I bought the rack, but found that the rack legs were about 1cm too short to reach the unused mounting points. Unfortunately I can no longer access the blog (there is some wordpress security preventing me accessing it) so I couldn't see if I had missed a trick somewhere.

But the good news is that the rack fits perfectly if you use the existing mount points. The existing rack is attached by 30mm M5 bolts; you just need to replace these with 40mm M5 bolts and then both racks can share the same mount point.

One difficulty is that the bolts supplied with the rack to attach the seatpost rails to the rack are too long. You can squeeze the forward bolt in, but not the rear one of the pair (see first pic). So you need some 10mm M5 bolts there.

View attachment 91649

In the next pic you can see the spare mounting point. It appears to be to the right of the existing rack mount point in the pic but it is also lower down, hence the problem.

View attachment 91650

In the next bpic you can see the new rack mount sitting on top of the existing one. Although the rack mount sticks out quite a long way, it is mostly hollow so the replacement bolt only needs to be 10 mm longer rather than the 30mm longer it looks like will be needed. Also you can see that the new rack actually protects the gear cable, which the old rack didn't.
View attachment 91651

next pic shows the whole set up, with the topeak rack sitting above the existing rack. No contact points or other worries. Note that you need to replace the exxisting seat clamp with an eyeletted one (I ised the Bontrager QR one) to attach the rack rails to.
View attachment 91652

So to recap you need:

1) Topeak super tourist DX (disc) rack
2) Eyeletted seat post clamp eg Bontrager
3) 2 x 40mm M5 bolts
4) 2 or 4 x 10mm M5 bolts

This rack takes 26kg, so it is fine for touring. My Ortlieb panniers fit very well. If you are in the UK, this rack is a bargain at £25.

I hope this helps anyone else who wants to use their allant+ 8 for touring. (Incidentally I have Tubus Tara rack on the front, which works very well).
I used the Uni Super Tourist DX and was able to use the lower unused lugs because of the adjustable legs on the rack. Very nice job thanks for the info.

Attachments

• DF5792B6-8BAC-4C7F-929D-1B3C450E98E6.jpeg
    DF5792B6-8BAC-4C7F-929D-1B3C450E98E6.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 462
  • D5E67597-2C4C-4E13-8744-E21343AA0889.jpeg
    D5E67597-2C4C-4E13-8744-E21343AA0889.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 484
Sounds like a load of at least 20 - 25kg. Depending on weight of locks you could even be at double the load limit. Do you do that often, and have you been doing it long? Load ratings are always on the conservative side, probably 10% over would be OK, but I would be very uncomfortable going so far over the load limit (especially with such valuable cargo!). Each to their own though.
You're probably right, but I do wonder if the bike designers did any real engineering analysis to determine the weight limit? I guess we'll know when someone reports that their rear fender is rubbing against their rear tire when they carry a heavy load. :)

I used the Uni Super Tourist DX and was able to use the lower unused lugs because of the adjustable legs on the rack. Very nice job thanks for the info.
That's excellent, I didn't spot that rack! The adjustable legs are a brilliant idea. Saves buying the longer bolts too.

You're probably right, but I do wonder if the bike designers did any real engineering analysis to determine the weight limit? I guess we'll know when someone reports that their rear fender is rubbing against their rear tire when they carry a heavy load. :)
I haven't had any issues, we do this with the 7+ and 8+ 2-3 times a month. 6 bottles in each pannier and a Kryptonite chain and U-lock. It's very heavy and at that time thank god for turbo mode.

Interesting post. I went to a bike shop today to buy some panniers and was talked out of it because they didn’t like the "rack" that comes already on the bike. I have an 8s and they thought it was just a bracket for the fender. If you look at it that way I’d agree with them. It’s got a little room at the top to attach something but just one place to attach it down below. We put a pannier on and they showed me how loose and wobbly it was. I’m wanting to carry my dslr camera and would like a firmer setup. Was looking at the Ortlieb gravel pack which are smaller than their roller bikes bags. They suggested a rack on the front instead and thought it’d be easier access to the camera that way. Thanks again for the post.

Last edited:
Interesting post. I went to a bike shop today to buy some panniers and was talked out of it because they didn’t like the "rack" that comes already on the bike. I have an 8s and they thought it was just a bracket for the fender. If you look at it that way I’d agree with them. It’s got a little room at the top to attach something but just one place to attach it down below. We put a pannier on and they showed me how loose and wobbly it was. I’m wanting to carry my dslr camera and would like a firmer setup. Was looking at the Ortlieb gravel pack which are smaller than their roller bikes bags. They suggested a rack on the front instead and thought it’d be easier access to the camera that way. Thanks again for the post.
Not sure I buy their thoughts. It might not be heavy duty but it will carry a load no problem. I run them hard with 2 panniers with 6-8 bottles of wine in each one. Haven't babies them one but and have had no issues.

Not sure I buy their thoughts. It might not be heavy duty but it will carry a load no problem. I run them hard with 2 panniers with 6-8 bottles of wine in each one. Haven't babies them one but and have had no issues.
I don’t doubt that it works for you but maybe since you’re carrying bottles you’re being more careful in transport then I’ll be. I’m not picking up fragile cargo and heading home. I go out on a ride and don’t want to have to be worried about anything. I understand your point though and appreciate your response.

I don’t doubt that it works for you but maybe since you’re carrying bottles you’re being more careful in transport then I’ll be. I’m not picking up fragile cargo and heading home. I go out on a ride and don’t want to have to be worried about anything. I understand your point though and appreciate your response.
Na, we blast up the hills and down the streets usually at 18+. Wine bottles are tough, gotta get home quick and put it in the cellar 🍷 Really, I'm industrial and put stuff to the test. I also carry my A7Rii and 2 G Master lenses in the bags (a little more carefully packed) but I don't worry about the rack. Most good panniers have a backup attachment to keep them from being bounced off the rails.

I ended up going to REI and getting a Topeak beamrack bike rack and a Topeak trunk bag. The bike rack mounts to the seat post and for what I’m wanting it for the trunk bag fits my purpose better then a pannier would. It’s almost like a camera bag that attaches to a rack.

etc - pictures deleted

Great report/instruction on how to mount the Topeak Rack and MTX Bag. I have an Allant 9.9 and wanted to do the same thing- same rack, same bag, and found the PeterBurn.com blog here https://peterburn.com/trek-allant-bicycle-rack-installation/

Another benefit of the topeak rack is that it has two horizontal rails - so you clip the panniers onto the rail below the rail that the rack pack sits on. This makes it much easier to add/remove panniers while the rack pack is on the bike - handy sometimes.
Most importantly though (for me) the topeak rack increases the load you can carry on the back from 16kg to 26kg.

Back